Price For Isle Of Wight Is Ridiculous

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by nielsmallant100, Sep 30, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. longo239

longo239 Well-Known Member

Most people don't care why things cost what they do, they care about what it is going to cost them and whether they feel that what they are getting in return represents value for their money . That's why supermarkets are so popular, especially the discount ones such as Lidl and Aldi.

Some people may not be as eloquent as others and may express themselves in short phrases and one line comments. Just because you find the term rip off belittling doesn't make it any less valid, its not abusive or threatening in any way. Neither was it aimed at you personally.

At no point did I say anyone has said everyone should buy it.

As for following you around, really? You quote or reply to just as many of my comments or posts. Maybe you should go do something better today, maybe give your head a bit of a wobble at the same time!

Last edited: Oct 10, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  2. nielsmallant100

nielsmallant100 Well-Known Member

that is because the usual fanboys won't allow us to think and say that we don't think the price is justified.

• Like Like x 3
  3. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

Thank goodness it’s out on Thursday.
    These threads will die, but think of all the exciting new threads about errors and omissions, missed opportunities and cynical exploitation of gullible train simmers.

Oh My. Need more popcorn.

• Like Like x 5
  4. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Unfortunately there are people on both sides who are unable to state an opinion without stating it as a fact

If you take everything on this forum, or indeed on the internet, or indeed in life in general with the suffix of "in my opinion", people may well get on better

• Like Like x 1
  5. jeanmarc094

jeanmarc094 Well-Known Member

Munich-Augsburg entered ''upcoming phase'' in the last roadmap. im giving atleast 3 roadmaps update, including the one coming this tuesday, before it comes out.

6. mike370

mike370 Active Member

And this is perhaps the best key point that seems to have been overlooked by many in this post's discussion. Given all the inevitable cuts of the 'cake', I simply don't believe Rivet could realistically price it any lower (even if they in theory wanted to).

Perhaps the typical historical ball-park cuts for sales that have been taken for TS1 DLC add-ons - might give folk some a better insight into the very large hidden costs involved for small 3rd party developers. It's my understanding that as a general rule for TS20xx, 3rd parties wanting to sell their DLC creations on Steam - have to hand over a 30% share of the advertised sale price to Valve (for hosting the software for sale) and then a further 30% slice of sale proceeds to DTG (cut for making a product using their software). Effectively leaving only approx 40% of total sale proceeds for the DLC creator.

Whilst we don't know the precise agreement drawn-up between Rivet & DTG (perhaps DTG are taking a smaller cut for TSW2 add-ons), the general principle still holds i.e. smaller 3rd party creators of DLC add-ons have considerable hidden costs that often gives them very little room for maneuvere with product pricing.

Just suppose the above breakdown did hold true. Rivet would be getting £8 (before their own costs deducted) for each sale of their work on STEAM. As others have already pointed out, train simming is very much a niche market - so relative total number of sales is never going to be terribly high. We also know that as things stands, creating artistic content for TSW2 is proving to be a very labour intensive process. That because of the higher quality level of modelling detail required, it takes considerably longer to build routes for TSW2 compared to TS2021 (which in itself has never been easy). We know this because of the typical relative short route lengths for TSW addons; that DTG have often stated they would love to make the routes longer for TSW if they could, but given the considerable time costs involved to do so, it's not currently viable (perhaps this may change as new more efficient development methods evolve with experience).

Given Rivet's outstanding historic work output - you can almost guarantee this will be another top notch item. Their track record for attention to detail is superb, & I have no doubt their new route will look excellent. Likely as good as is possible within the current constraints of TSW2 as a platform for their models. All their past projects have the distinct appearance of labours of love; they clearly take great pride in their work. I wouldn't be at all surprised if their early creations for TSW/TSW2 are in real terms are loss leaders as they become familiar with working with UE4. If you were to add-up all the man hours involved to put such an add-on together, and then consider the relatively small finite number of sales involved - well I suspect the final hourly pay rate for the Rivet artists is not that amazing. Especially when all their other company overheads are taken into account

Still think £20 is too much? Crickey I sound like some Rivet shill and/or fanboy! ;) lol. I'm not, but have always admired their work & have most of their TS20xx add-ons. Will I be buying the IOW? No, because currently I have to be extremely careful with my bugeting, & in terms of replayability gaming hours £20 would go far further for me elsewhere (with many other alternative entertainment options). Would I buy it in better times, absolutely - I'd love to support Rivet & help them succeed & go on to produce many other imaginative train simming creations (desperately hoping they continue working on TS2021 as well as TSW2).

The launch sale price is what it is. For some it will be totally worth it, for others (for many reasons) not so much. But given where we're at with the develpment process of TSW2, I just can't see how such an add-on could currently be sold more cheaply, especially by a 3rd party with the relatively small returns on sales. Any lower and I just don't think they could - it wouldn't be worth their while.

Hopefully some of the above considerations give some pause for thought, particularly for those that initially perceived the price as 'ridiculously high'. It's certainly not a case of greed.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2020
    • Like Like x 8
  7. SHINO BAZ

SHINO BAZ Well-Known Member

Why know one said this to you yet is beyond me,PC user get a 10% pre order saving discount,not much i know but console users get NOTHING so at least you get a little something while console users have more reasons to feel bummed.

8. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

After receiving the release date communication from Rivet announcing the discount I was happy to pay immediately. However I did not realise that the discount was across the board otherwise I would have purchased via Steam, so the installation could have been automatically installed. I know it’s a moan, but I now have to rely on Rivet emailing a code to install it.

I think the discount makes it a more reasonable price, considering the detail shown in the pictures released so far. It seems a lot of effort has been put in to make it look really realistic.

9. nielsmallant100

nielsmallant100 Well-Known Member

what do you mean, where did you buy it? If you buy stuff from Rivet Games, it will still give you a code for steam.

10. wingo44

wingo44 New Member

waste of time arguing about this ...

• Like Like x 1
  11. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Some sense of persective. You could resist buying a takaway at the weekend, buy IOW dlc, and have it in your Library forever.

• Like Like x 3
  12. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

Depends what takeaway it is though. If it's a nice chicken tikka masala with pilau rice, garlic naan and chips then IOW can wait imo.

• Like Like x 2
  13. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Peshwari naan for me :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. DTG Protagonist

DTG Protagonist Has left the building Staff Member

Let's close this one here, it's gone off topic and has devolved into "NO. YOU'RE WRONG."

If you feel the Isle of Wight price is too high please vote with your wallet. Your feedback has been passed along.

• Like Like x 4
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.