Trainset Suggestion: Amtrak Capitol Limited Consist

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by GP40Man5528, Dec 10, 2017.

?
  1. YES!

14 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. no

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. GP40Man5528

GP40Man5528 Active Member

[​IMG]
    Amtrak Capitol Limited rides through Cumberland, MD with a special heritage unit powering the front of the train.

I have come back for another proposal but this time, I propose a "Train set" if you will for Train Sim World. The Capitol Limited for CSX Heavy Haul.

HISTORY

The Capitol Limited was a passenger train operated by the Baltimore And Ohio Railroad from Chicago, IL to the nations capitol; Washington D.C. Inaugurated in 1923, the Capitol Limited was a fairly successful service and was one of the Flagship Passenger trains for the B&O. But unfortunately, the B&O cancelled the service and handed it over to Amtrak in 1971. The service has been in continuous service ever since then.

[​IMG]
    The Capitol Limited at Chicago's Grand Central Station in the 1960s

TRAIN SIM WORLD RENDITION

Because the Sand Patch Grade is set in the modern day CSX line, I propose the Amtrak version of the Capitol Limited. I also propose two schemes for this set as well. The current phase Vb scheme and the older phase III scheme.

[​IMG]
    The Capitol Limited passes by pacing a Washington D.C. Metro train.

Locomotives And Rolling Stock
    The Capitol Limited has used many different types of locomotives and pieces of rolling stock throughout it's life, but here is what I propose.

GE Genesis P42DC Locomotive
    [​IMG]

The P42DC was produced as part of the "Genesis" Series of locomotives built for Amtrak and Via Rail. Over 200 locomotives were built and are the primary locomotives to pull Amtrak's long-distance passenger trains such as the Capitol Limited. These locomotives are still in service today and can be seen almost everywhere throughout the US.

EMD F40PH Locomotive
    [​IMG]

These EMD built Locomotives were produced from 1975 to 1992 and were sold to many passenger railroads such as Amtrak. These Locomotives were very successful. Before the "Genesis" series, these were the locomotives that pulled almost all Amtrak Passenger trains. With the arrival of the "Genesis" series of locomotives, the F40PHs very slowly started being pulled from service as the "Genesis" Locomotives proved much more reliable. Today, there are a few F40PHs on Amtrak. Some have turned into "Cabbage" F40s, one of them, engine 406, is an Amtrak Heritage Unit.

ROLLING STOCK
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The Capitol Limited has mainly used "Superliner" cars. Including, Baggage, Coach, Sleeper, Diner, and Sightseer Lounge. As well as smaller Budd built Baggage Cars. In the earlier days, Amtrak had Baggage Boxcars that were pulled behind the train as extra baggage storage (Photo Above).

FINAL CONCLUSION

I have seen many people that play TSW ask for some sort of Amtrak Service. And CSX Heavy Haul is the only American route currently available at this moment. The Capitol Limited runs right through Sand Patch Grade which fits perfectly for CSX Heavy Haul. The Capitol Limited is also a historically significant train in railroad history. Which is why the Amtrak Capitol Limited would be a perfect fit for Train Simulator World.

“The train is a small world moving through a larger world.”
    ― Elisha Cooper

• Like Like x 9
  2. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

I must have this! Also a new Viewliner II baggage car.

• Like Like x 2
  3. NEC_Male_TC

NEC_Male_TC Active Member

This would be a great idea, but only if it came with a route extension to Connellsville, PA because it wouldn't be logical to have it as a trainset DLC for the way Sand Patch Grade is right now since the only station on it that the Capitol Limited serves is Cumberland, MD. In addition, the locomotives and cars that are used in today's Amtrak's Capitol Limited are the same on many of Amtrak's other famous long-distance passenger trains like the California Zephyr, the Southwest Chief and the City of New Orleans, which will help for future present-day routes where those trains run too.

• Like Like x 1
  4. GP40Man5528

GP40Man5528 Active Member

After I posted this and thought about it more, I too realized it would be more logical to have a longer line to operate it on.

• Like Like x 1