PlayStation Class 101 Gears Operation Ruined In Tsw2 Immersion Controls

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by stujoy, Oct 12, 2020.

1. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

This is not really a bug report or a suggestion, although it contains both in a way, so I’ve put it in PS discussion as it relates to the controller and is more general comment.

Under normal operation, 4th gear is always used when coasting in the Class 101 so is usually always selected as you are slowing to stop at a station. As you get below around 8mph you select the next notch, which is neutral, ready for the stop.

This used to be one click up on the Dpad in TSW2020 (and still is in classic controls). Now that same operation in immersion controls is 4 separate clicks down on the Dpad. This has to be done while in the process of releasing the brakes slightly to stop on a rising brake pipe and preparing to open the doors. It was already tricky in TSW2020 when the Dpad followed the gear control naturally. It is now impossible to operate it correctly. Instead you have to wait until you are stopped and then do the four clicks in succession so it doesn’t ruin your braking. This hardly improves immersion and is unrealistic driving technique.

Holding down the Dpad to go through the gears doesn’t work and the animation of the gear lever going all the way to first gear then flicking back past all the gears to get to neutral shows how ridiculous this programming of the control is.

Can we have neutral back next to 4th gear, where it belongs, and remove the reverser from the Dpad (which is what has caused this) on just this train? The reverser only has to be set once in a journey and can be done by looking at it (such as you need to do with a light switch). This would be a massive improvement in playability.

While I’m here I’ll also say that the HUD representation of when gears are engaged looks the wrong way round to me. A white number would be better for the gear being engaged, rather than orange, which looks too close to red, which usually means something is locked out. So having the gear number red when locked out and white when engaged would fit better and be more intuitive. The representation is nowhere near as good as the excellent way it was depicted in the old HUD but this would improve it a little.

• Like Like x 12
  2. a.paice

a.paice Well-Known Member

That’s a shame, I’m waiting for transpennine to come out so I can have my 101 back but I’m disappointed to hear they’ve messed with the controls- it was my favourite thing to drive.

I agree about the reverser, it’s not needed on any button really.

If they could get a free roam cam and the gears sorted then otherwise immersion mode would be great. Plus a two tone horn button would be nice.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Trainzdriver328

Trainzdriver328 Active Member

I've been waiting for a two-tone button since the beginning of TSW

• Like Like x 2
  4. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Anything that makes driving this girl easier, the better in my book.

• Like Like x 1
  5. jasonpfc

jasonpfc Well-Known Member

The 101 is a beauty, she reminds me of my wife, shes your best friend when you drive her correctly, but you'll soon know about it when you do something wrong.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Interesting bit of trivia for you. In TSW2020 the reverser is mapped differently on the left controller stick for the 101 in TVL and NTP. On one you move the stick up to move the reverser into position and on the other you move the stick down to move the reverser into position. The reverser is reversed on one 101 but not the other. I can’t remember which one’s which but it’s always tickled me as an amusing anomaly. There are quite a few other slight differences between the two 101’s in how the switches are operated too but they both drive the same.

This current mapping of the gears and reverser control is a real issue though, especially the single button push for every gear. It just forces me to go to classic controls for the 101 when I’m getting on fine with the immersion controls for everything else.

• Like Like x 1