Why Retire The Cornish Main Line Route From Steam?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by USRailFan, Oct 12, 2020.

1. USRailFan

USRailFan Active Member

2. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

It includes a Cross Country repaint of the old kuju FGW HST.

At least the Cornish Main Line is still available via Just Trains unlike some other routes removed recently for licensing.

• Like Like x 1
  3. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

I wonder why they don't just remove the XC Hst?
    Unless Just Trains has been told to remove it - it is their route

Peter

• Like Like x 2
  4. DTG Jamie

DTG Jamie Staff Member

If we remove just one element of an Add-On it will be removed for all players, even those who purchased previously. This is something we have no intention of doing, and it's the reason the whole pack needs to be retired.

If any changes are then later made they would go up as a new Add-On to ensure those who purchased before the license expired still have access to the original in their collection.

• Like Like x 3
  5. USRailFan

USRailFan Active Member

Also, shouldn't this also mean the Bristol Exeter route would have to be removed as well? It too inculdes an XC HST reskin (likely the same one as Cornishmainline)...

6. mattdsoares

mattdsoares Well-Known Member

Honest question, then why not just remove the XC the route and create it as a new product on Steam? Am I missing how hard that would be?

7. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

You would have to ask Just Trains as it is their route and is just distributed via DTG/Steam

8. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's a 3rd party product, so DTG aren't gonna touch it with a barge pole except when it comes up putting it on Steam so it's JT's issue, like how Welsh marches has come back.

9. ntypeman

ntypeman Well-Known Member

Just download this as it's been reduced in price & is about to be withdrawn / retired from sale but wondered if I've done the right thing after seeing it had mainly negative reviews...???

I'd like to know peoples thoughts or opinions of anyone who's already got it???

Cheers

Eric

10. darujhistan

darujhistan Member

I've had this route for a while now, I find the surrounding assets quite basic, the buildings and trees look like they have been placed without that much thought in places, the second scenario stops about halfway, instead of going all the way to Plymouth. The layout of track is very good, stations and bridges. If I was you I would have a look at some of the you tube videos, I think Matt did a preview for DTG about 5 or 6 mouths ago. It's not a route I enjoy playing that much, I got it really because I've travelled on part of it.

11. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

IIRC most of the reviews are because it doesn't come with any trains (despite screenshots showing trains) - you need to buy the classic european assets pack seperately, which isn't mentioned anywhere on the store page, and the scenarios.

• Like Like x 1
  12. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

It you haven’t purchased this before I strongly recommend you do so before 6pm tomorrow. I would recommend it as a worthwhile addition to your collection, it is a lovely run through some interesting parts of Cornwall. Sit back and enjoy the Cornish scenery, there are some wonderful places to see like Truro Cathedral etc., etc.

Only £9.99 then it is only available from Just Trains for £21.99. So save yourself £12. Worth having.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
  13. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Don't buy this route if you are getting the full collection from Just Trains for the Western Mainlines.
    This is the stand alone version and it would not join up with the thru version.

Peter

14. ntypeman

ntypeman Well-Known Member

Peter...

I have just bought the Cornish Main Line, what would happen if i then went on to buy the Western Mainlines???

Eric

15. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Nothing would happen apart from not being able to run a thru service from before Plymouth, say London or Exeter, to Cornwall.

With the Western Mainlines the routes all joint together in to one

16. ex-railwayman

ex-railwayman Active Member

Well, I've just bought it after reading the op and it's a lovely route, and for £9.50 is certainly worth the huge discounted price before it gets pulled from Steam, especially, as it's 80 miles long. I'm not too fussed about the rolling stock, I buy a route for the actual route not what you drive on the damn thing.......lol
    I already have the other extension from London Paddington down to Plymouth on another huge route so this is something stand alone, it's got the usual JT trees and whathaveyou, but, I can tweak scenery items and add stuff to my heart's content for the next few weeks, it'll keep me occupied. There are some excellently crafted bridges and buildings and In my opinion I would say it is one of the better routes that JT have released recently and with the lovely Cornish towns and villages even though it is more modern--ish I can still operate 1990s/2000s stock on it and have a very pleasant drive through the Devon farmland and hills.

Cheerz. Steve.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
  17. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

One note on this question is that the item that would be removed is in the scenarios, most likely. Therefore, it has to be replaed. If a version is done replacing it, all is fine.

What I would suggest anyway is buy the Extensions Collection for Western Mainlines on the Just Trains site anyway. It will give you Cornish plus ones that are not on Steam, which include the South Devon and two other extensions, for $60 USD. One of the four extensions is on sale this week on its own at JT but, even considering that, the packaged group is a better deal. You can also get the Complete Collection if you don't already have Western Mainlines, for a pocketbook-busting $90 USD. Note that, no matter how you get Western Mainlines or its extensions, that there are scenarios that require other Steam or Just Trains products to play, and would require either those being purchased or you to use Ts-Tools to drop them from the scenario and replace them with another item (for instance, their Class 67 might be replaceable by the EWS 67 if you don't buy theirs). Cornish Main Line, in fact, has bonus extensions on the JT side, which is why I held off on Steam.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020