PC Performance Suggestions For Tsw?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Shaun123, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Shaun123

Shaun123 Well-Known Member

So I caved in and bought TSW in the sale on Friday, I'd put it off for a while, as I didn't think my PC could handle it, but have had a few upgrades since then, there are a few things I still need to upgrade.

I am on the whole very, very impressed!

Anyway performance wise outside of London on Great Western Express I'm getting 40-50 FPS which is great, nice and smooth, the odd jittery section.

From Old Oak Common, into Paddington, it drops to between 20-30 FPS the odd time below 20, when it hits a particular section.

Settings are set to Ultra and TAA is on.

Just wondering if there's anything that could be turned down (like Foilage/Shadows etc) to improve performance/FPS? Can anyone assist with the settings they have?

My PC Spec is as follows:

Graphics: - Radeon RX 580 Series
    AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 955 Processor
    CPU Speed: - 3.5 GHz
    8GB Ram
    Windows 7 SP1.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

2. NAYDOG

NAYDOG Guest

turn shadows down, the differences they make are negligible atm and have helped me alot with FPS, I play everything ultra with shadows on low, 1440p and 135% screen resolution.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Shaun123

Thanks NAYDOG, will have a little play.

In terms of PC specs I take it they are acceptable to run the game? I've just invested in the 8GB Radeon RX 580 Series.

I had a play of a scenario last night 02:25 Reading - Paddington and was getting 40-50 FPS throughout dropping to around 30 FPS around Paddington but it seems a lot smoother depending on AI/time of day etc.

4. NAYDOG

NAYDOG Guest

the biggest factor will be CPU - interms of GPU rendering youre in a good place, your CPU may struggle but seems to be holding itself well currently. if we see some more fps improvements you should be grand :)

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  5. Shaun123

Thanks!

The game certainly isn't unplayable far from it, I was just looking to improve FPS a little more! I can have some settings on Ultra and get up to 50 FPS, running nice and smooth.

Yes CPU next on the upgrade list, but I knew investing in a new Graphics Card would be good step.

I have; Foliage - Low, Shadows - Off. Effects - Med, everything else is on Ultra and that's what I'm now getting the 30-50 FPS benchmark.

My resolution is set at 1920x1080p that's what I have in all games I play, I did try your settings at 1440 but noticed a drop in performance.

Any recommendations for a new CPU (Intel/AMD for example) or are the ones suggested by DTG a good step?

Thanks again.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
  6. Th3Fl4mIng

Th3Fl4mIng Member

I highly recommend getting one of the new AMD Ryzen Series CPU's. I'm using an AMD Ryzen 5 1600 and I'm still impressed by it's performance. Also it's assured of a good feature, not only because of its 6 cores but also because more and more games are getting optimised for multiple core usage and TSW of course is one of them. Especially if you're looking to keep your new CPU without compromises for the next few years. Another positive factor about my mentioned CPU is that it's cost is absolutely affordable for 170 euros/210 dollars/150 pound.
    Don't hesitate if you have any questions & Glad if I could help

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. pschlik

pschlik Well-Known Member

From what I've learned, I would advise opening up task manager (as well as a GPU monitoring program like GPU-Z) and looking at some of the graphs in there to see what could be improved.

As mentioned, TSW does often hit software side CPU bottlenecks (as in, TSW needs more CPU, and there is more CPU, but TSW doesn't know how to use more) because SimuGraph isn't multithreaded, but that might not be your case considering your setup.

In a low FPS situation, take a look at the graphs and see what's maxed out. Maybe you need more RAM when it stutters, maybe the GPU is maxed out. Note that TSW is great at using any RAM and GPU you give it, so those are where hardware bottlenecks come in. If it lags with nothing being used extremely, that means there some software bottleneck, which is most likely CPU.

Hope that helps with deciding on what upgrades to do, but I figure TSW will get better multithreading that can make performance more consistent...eventually.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  8. Shaun123

Thanks for all the suggestions, looks like a CPU upgrade is in order, GPU wise not a problem, just done a scenario was getting constant 40-50 FPS then slight drop 30-40 into Paddington, it looks like my CPU is holding it back!

I will go with your suggestion Th3Fl4mIng was looking at the 1700 series though, as it's what is recommended for the game!

9. Shaun123

Apologies for the double post, just looking for CPU recommendations, as I've got someone who can sort it at the weekend - so the bundle is AMD Ryzen Bundle: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 8 Core CPU, Asus AM4 PRIME X370 PRO Motherboard, Wraith Cooler & 8GB DDR4 Memory Module

Or should I go for what DTG also recommends, Intel Core i7-4790? Now the place I'm going doesn't stock these but does have the following: -

Intel Core i7 7700K Unlocked Kaby Lake Desktop Processor / CPU

Opinions or advice, would be greatly appreciated again!

10. nsengineer234

nsengineer234 New Member

AMD A10-7890K, 4200 MHz
    GeForce GTX 970 GeForce GTX 970 Sli
    Corsair Dominator Platinum 32
    32 ips montior 144hz g sync

11. nsengineer234

nsengineer234 New Member

12. nsengineer234

nsengineer234 New Member

20180115_183520[1].jpg

• Like Like x 1
  13. HybridAlien

HybridAlien Member

8700k 1080ti 16gb and still get slow downs in fps. It's not very optimized

14. Th3Fl4mIng

Th3Fl4mIng Member

Once again, take the ryzen one. Not only because I'm a fan of AMD CPU's but also because it's actually simply better than the one by Intel.
    Prove? Take a look at some statistics/benchmarks. "Oh, hey but the Intel one has higher fps rates than the ryzen" you will certainly say now. But because we're talking of fps in dimensions of over 100 it doesn't make any difference. Also ryzen CPU's are better optimised for the future, e.g. they already support DirectX12. Upcoming games will have that supported which means ryzen will probably reach higher fps rates than Intel CPU's if you'd repeat the benchmarks. Oh and another one: Ryzen CPU's have an overwhelmingly better use of multicore usage. Means better for TSW now but especially in the future. I believe it's about ~40% better than the Intel one. Meanwhile it's only slightly worse in single and dual core usage.
    Will attach links to my post, once I'm home, 'cause it's kinda hard from my mobile phone.
    Hope that I could help you.

15. ht-57

ht-57 Member

Not true- when you compare the same processor meaning the 6 core equivalent- the I76850k is better in every category with the exception
    of price which makes the amd more popular.
    http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-6850K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-1600/3606vs3919

• Like Like x 1
  16. Jef-F

Jef-F Active Member

To add to ht-57 , DX12 support by an integrated video chip means nothing, because you won't run games on it, especially TSW (aside from the fact that Intels support DX12 too)

17. Th3Fl4mIng

Th3Fl4mIng Member

Well, not in the moment but just as I said - future relevant -. Besides that,true Intel does support DX12 aswell but more and more games are getting optimised for the DX 12 support of AMD which is better (it's indeed different than the one of Intel, can not tell you though what exactly, would have to inform myself more thorough, gotta admit that)

First off, thanks, that's the site I meant. Secondly, are you kidding me? You're actually showing me a CPU that costs almost twice the amount of the 5 1600, obviously it's better than the 5 1600 due to a completely different price segment and wasn't even the key of our debate, respectively Shaun123's question.
    What I was looking for was this http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-4790-vs-AMD-Ryzen-7-1700/2293vs3917
    and this http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-7700K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-7-1700/3647vs3917.
    You can clearly see what I have mentioned, namely it (actually only the i7 7700k, the i7-4790 is absolutely garbage) has better single and quad-core clock speed but, no wonder, less multi core speed. But costs 70 $ more..
    http://www.gamestar.de/artikel/amd-...00-vs-intel-core-i7-7700k,3313316,seite2.html
    Though in german, the benchmarks are understandable in every language. What you can see there is yes for 70$ more you get more fps in games. But except from bad optimised games we're speaking in - who would have thought - areas of over 100 fps which means you won't notice any difference.
    So again my recommendation goes for the 7 1700, although I think it's neither necessary for TSW nor really the best choice of CPU's available (still not bad by any means)
    Indeed I'd go for the 5 1600 (x), since the 7 1700 offers not really that much more atleast not much enough to make me pay a 100$ more for it. Or go for the 7 1800x you will have a CPU which in fact is better although again - not necessary for the time we're living in if you're not looking into video rendering or photoshopping.
    To sum it up, the reason why I would rather invest in an Ryzen CPU over an Intel CPU is because even though it has a slightly worse gaming performance to it's equivalent Intel CPU (sometimes even better) the difference is most likely not sensible and it has miles over it's Intel counterpart in the matter of video rendering, photoshopping etc. and more future safety e.g. because of always double threads (4 cores,8 threads and so on). Even though most people don't care about that, for me it's definteley worth it. In general you get more value for less money. That's why I'm recommending Ryzen CPU's over Intel CPU's MOST of the time. Don't believe that I think they are always better. There are cases where I'd definitely go for an Intel rather than AMD.
    Hope I could clarify a few things.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
  18. Jef-F

Jef-F Active Member

I meant that integrated videochip is useless, not the DX12 (and Ryzen lacks one until APUs are out). On the CPU side yes, there were some flaws in DX12 itself which prevented it from using full potential of Ryzen architecture. At least initially, I'm not sure if, how and to which extent it has been fixed.

By the time TSW supports DX12 we will be gaming on antimatter-powered quantum computers

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
  19. ht-57

ht-57 Member

The reason I mention this is that you are not comparing equivalents. your comparing an NEW AMD 8 CORE processor to an older
    I7 4 core- Really? When you Compare the equivalent processor You will see in every case that intels are better in every category by a significant amount. Also the AMD ryzen does not have miles over the Intell equivalents in video rendering, quite the contrary,
    It is quite clear take a look-
    http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-7820X-vs-AMD-Ryzen-7-1700/3928vs3917
    just bout 30% faster in every category as a matter of fact the worst bench for intell was AMD best
    The only thing AMD has over intell is price point, SO if your on a budget AMD gives you the most value
    There are those who pay for that kind of performance gain.
    How are these points not key to the debate?.

20. Shaun123

Thanks for all that, I’m on a budget of about £350-500.

The AMD 1700 is swinging it for me and I will also need to buy an associated motherboard too.

Will let you know how I get on

21. Shaun123

Well I took the plunge and upgraded my CPU.

The game is totally different, all setting maxed out, getting 60 FPS, 40-50 into Paddington and dropping to 30-40 when AI is encountered, but it's made a huge difference, and looks so much better, as I'm now getting the best out of my GPU too.

It's a lot to invest for the sake of 1 game, I do play others, but I hope I've now futureproofed my PC for any further TSW updates, until today, nearly everything in the PC with the except of the GPU was up to 8 years old, that's when I got it built, now everything has been upgraded (except the hard drive).

So my setup is now:
    Radeon RX 580 Series
    AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Eight-Core Processor
    Asus AM4 PRIME X370 PRO Motherboard
    8GB Ram
    Windows 10 64bit.

Lot of money spent, but short term in terms of playing TSW it's more than worth it! And hopefully long term I will see the gains!

Thanks for all the advice, it was certainly appreciated!

• Like Like x 3
  22. NAYDOG

NAYDOG Guest

glad we could all help - enjoy your new PC.

23. keksman

keksman Well-Known Member

I have the exact same issue with a 1080ti. The Fps are fine in GWE except from Old Oak Common - Paddington. May I ask how much Fps do you get with your new Pc in this Area?

24. Shaun123

Performance has drastically improved, but it's still very AI and service/scenario dependant.

Played 'Down the Line' scenario and was only getting around 20 FPS at Paddington, then 30-40 as it got out of there towards Old Oak, once properly out past West Ealing was getting 50-60 FPS.

Played a service (2G03 set early morning at 06:25) little AI getting 50-60 FPS throughout, then 30-40 approaching Paddington and around 40 FPS at Paddington itself.

Hope this helps.

25. pschlik

pschlik Well-Known Member

Yeah these results make sense with the way TSW works at the moment. Even upgrading CPU can’t exactly save you from the issues of SimuGraph. I think it is all the trains in Paddington and Old Oak sucking up CPU; once those get out of load range, SimuGraph has less to do so causes less slowdowns.

26. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

What are the best settings for AMD? I have one.

27. Th3Fl4mIng

Th3Fl4mIng Member

What do you mean by AMD settings?
    Where do you want to look for them?
    Or are you talking about overclocking the CPU?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  28. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

AMD Radeon settings.

29. Th3Fl4mIng

Th3Fl4mIng Member

Thats an AMD GPU(Graphics card), we were talking about an AMD CPU.
    Can't really help you, since I have an Nvidia Graphics card.
    Best is to experiment with settings and have an fps counter operating in the background, so you can see what effect your changes have.

• Like Like x 1