Kiel-lubeck Surprise Speed Limits

Discussion in 'Technical Reports' started by mattdsoares, Sep 22, 2020.

1. mattdsoares

mattdsoares Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure this must have been mentioned in the nearly two years since it was launched, but what's up with the unmarked speed drops on the Kiel-Lubeck route that completely tank your chances at career achievements? At one spot it dropped from 120 to 60 for maybe a couple hundred meters before jumping back up to 120 with no signal, no sign, and no indication on the HUD. This happens in multiple spots.

Dovetail, seriously? The route has been out nearly 2 years, and you went so far as to make it one of the included TS2021 routes and didn't even bother fixing it? How lazy can you be? Have some pride in your work. I've never encountered a developer with such a disregard for quality.

2. Bredyhopi

Bredyhopi New Member

It is the same for Munich-Augsburg, where the speed limit changes to 40 without being marked on the HUD, where it changes to 40 it actually shows 60 on the HUD.

3. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

And as I replied, you are warned at the Signal before that the Speed will drop to 40KPH because of the route the train is taking.

Do a High Speed Free Roam from Augsburg to Munich
    As you leave Augsburg it runs you on the Left track until about 1km out and swaps you over
    The HUD Shows a higher speed but the Signal shows a Slower Speed which applies From the Signal and Not from the Points

4. Passionlevier

Passionlevier New Member

This is not a problem from the route alone, but also from Frankfurt - Koblenz,
    Nuremberg - Regensburg, Augsburg - Munich, Cologne - Koblenz etc.

The real problem is, however, DTG is just not interested in the German market, every now and then a line is thrown out and that's it.

Updates will never come from DTG for these routes, because that would involve work and the German community will fix it the way they (have to) always do it. Because otherwise the routes would simply be unplayable.

5. daymyron

daymyron New Member

The problem is that not everyone is German and knows how to access "fixed" routes, which is a shame as pretty well every German route that I have has these issues. In my reviews on steam where I complained about this, I was inundated with irate Germans telling me that I don't understand the signalling and should keep an eye out for indicators at track-side that advise speed limits. To that I call BS; in the dark and perhaps rain at 120kmh a blurry white blob with some writing on it, just does not register. Now, I grant you that there are many that don't use the HUD and somehow they manage or don't to see all of these markers. However, those of us perhaps with poorer vision use the HUD and in my opinion those markers should be displayed. I have 15 German routes and because of failings in speed markers in all but one of them in the HUD, they are an object lesson in frustration to play. They also represent a big waste of money and have stopped me from buying many others, because I just know it'll be the same slapdash nonsense again.

6. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

That is because you don't understand German Signalling and because it is different to UK Signalling you think it should be changed

With UK Signals they tell the Driver which way the train is going at a Junction and it his knowledge that tells him to slow down to the correct speed at the Junction

With German Signalling the Driver is Not Told the route he is taking but how fast he should be going at the Signal for the Junction.

So they if put all the Junction Speeds in the Game for the German routes
    You might see in the HUD that the speed in to the loop is 40kph but the Speed applies from the Signal - not the junction.

have a look at this

Peter

7. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

I believe they're saying that the HUD should display upcoming speed changes howsoever caused... Whether full time speed boards, signal cautions, divergences or something else

8. mattdsoares

mattdsoares Well-Known Member

This, to an extent.

However Peter also makes the assumption that any and all cases of phantom speed changes on German routes are the result people not wanting to learn German signaling, ignoring the DTG history of routes with phantom speed changes. While I have no doubt some of the speed changes could have been detected with more attention by the driver, there are numerous documented cases from many routes, not just those mentioned of actual phantom speed limits that are impossible for the driver to detect due to incorrect signaling or signage. User error is real!...but so is DTG error.

9. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Not just DTG... the speed of the line seems to be dependant on someone setting the speed in the line properties, something that quite often gets missed especially on the more unusual directions. Come across several missing speed boards or misconfigured speed on 3rd party routes (even fairly major ones)