Ai Honking At You

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by doublefine7, Oct 12, 2020.

1. doublefine7

doublefine7 Well-Known Member

Hello community.
    I have an idea. It is not innovative and it doesnt add anything big but: I like the idea of the AI honking at you when you meet on track, e.g. you are driving and an AI train is approaching you, it honks at you (or flickers the light) to say Hi just like in real life. I dont know how doable this is or if this is desired by anyone but I thought I would post it here.

• Like Like x 4
  2. rat7_mobile

rat7_mobile Well-Known Member

It would add more life to the game

3. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

Currently the AI doesn't use the horn even where it's supposed to - like grade crossings and other whistle posts. Even though it should be pretty easy to do.

But after that is implemented, yes, it would be a nice and funny touch. Maybe not all the time, but they could return the greeting if you greet them first, lol.

• Like Like x 5
  4. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

I doubt train drivers would actually honk or flicker the lights just to say "hi" in real life. They might turn on cab-lights and just wave instead. No clue if train drivers do the latter in real life, I can never see them. I've seen bus drivers do it regularly though.

I think having AI use the horn (or whistle) at whistle signs or level crossings (depending on the country and their rules) would be more realistic and also a nice to have feature.

• Like Like x 2
  5. LucasLCC

LucasLCC Well-Known Member

If someone is lineside, then you'd sound the horn and expect a response from the person lineside.

Generally drivers won't sound a horn for an oncoming train, however a wave from the driver isn't uncommon.

• Like Like x 2
  6. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

It would be cool if the AI could be instructed to sound their horn at whistle boards. Perhaps a little variation in horns too so it doesn’t sound the same each time.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Delta_Who

Delta_Who Well-Known Member

The feature was actually present in NTP, where Ai would honk their horns when departing. Doesn't seem to be expanded upon yet in future TSW DLCS

8. Franck69

Franck69 Member

I asked this question some time ago for TSW.
    The answer was:
    Ai models in TSW are more demanding so limits have been placed on these to improve performance.

Yet I'm using a free simulator, which the AI sometimes plays when it enters the station

9. ZeenozPlays

ZeenozPlays Well-Known Member

There’s not many operators that actually do this IRL, most just give a simple wave.

• Like Like x 1