PlayStation Well, How Is Isle Of Wight?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Valdez, Oct 15, 2020.

1. Valdez

Valdez Active Member

Because I watched a stream this evening and saw:-

Tutorial script with missing steps.

Poor quality of modelling (round objects not round, cab buttons and gauges showing odd shapes and faces). Maybe a LoD issue?

Low resolution texturing inside the vehicle.

Unchangeable destination boards.

Glitchy coupling without proper collision detection - one train drove though another.

“1 of 10 Ice Cream ADDED” despite the ice cream clearly being taken rather than added.

Are these issues with just one user’s instance or are we seeing DTG’s somewhat legendary QA process at work again?

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  2. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Is this DTG? Not Rivet?

3. L89

L89 Well-Known Member

The tutorial went on longer than expected (a good thing as it helped tell you the process for switching ends and coupling).

However, I still did not get told to turn on passenger lights. I found them in the end, though.

One thing that is bugging me, I found 39/40 collectibles but have not found one camera. Been up and down the line a few times now and explored the stations. One was on the pier, which was tucked away. Still can't find the last one. Hopefully it's just well hidden.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  4. pascal.weick

pascal.weick Member

The modeling really looks weird. All things look out of shape. Hope they fix this soon

• Like Like x 1
  5. Valdez

Valdez Active Member

Developed by Rivet, but TSW is a closed system with DTG choosing which devs can be involved and having final sign-off on any releases, so they’ve got to carry an element of responsibility for content they allow on their platform. I’d be shocked if DTG wasn’t involved in the QA process, and with Rivet there’s the added factor that a number of their staff are ex-DTG anyway.

• Like Like x 3
  6. LucasLCC

LucasLCC Well-Known Member

It seems that the LoD has been set incorrectly. I imagine it appears fine on PC, but hasn't been tested on console...

• Like Like x 2
  7. Valdez

Valdez Active Member

DTG don’t exactly have an excellent record of fixing broken releases promptly. (IMHO). But I’m sure they’ll have a very convincing excuse once again, like modelling issues not affecting the playability of scenarios.

• Like Like x 2
  8. k4rlovc4n

k4rlovc4n Active Member

I like it! :cool:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thats it! ;)

• Like Like x 3
  9. Trainmania100

Trainmania100 Well-Known Member

I like the game, I feel it's worth the money, although it does look a bit dark in places, one thing I forgot to look for earlier was the cabin light switch (passenger saloon), I found the cab light switch

• Like Like x 1
  10. Valdez

Valdez Active Member

Do you see the odd shapes on the light switches and brake gauges as was seen in the stream?

• Like Like x 3
  11. Trainmania100

Yes there are odd shapes when you look up close, but really they don't look so bad standing a legitimate distance away. They're just not perfectly rounded up close that's all

• Like Like x 2
  12. breblimator

breblimator Guest

So, IOW QA belongs to Rivet and maybe to DTG too. Now I understand, thank You for the answer!

I watched the same stream and have mixed feelings. I wanted to buy IOW with a discount on Steam, but I think I need to first see on YT how it looks on a PC in a slightly higher resolution than the one on Megasim' 'presentation'.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  13. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Was there anything good about it or could you only find bad things?

• Like Like x 1
  14. flickyhecky

flickyhecky Active Member

You can't open the doors when it's stopped, you can only get in through the drivers side. Might do another live stream in an hour or two...i need to practice a bit more on moving off after stopping!

15. Valdez

Valdez Active Member

The defects were quite disappointing as they were the first things to notice during the tutorial. Otherwise I found it as expected - A pretty setting to an otherwise uninspiring route. For me, it’s one to watch on streams and not one to own or drive.

16. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

The graphics are pretty poor I have to say. I mean, what are these supposed to be:

9B150A3A-4C24-4199-A21C-0103EAACD7C0.jpeg

PS4 Pro

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  17. Trainmania100

Where is that on the train?

18. Thunderer

Thunderer Well-Known Member

I've just walked the route and it's very quiet and peaceful, reminds me of WSR, which I really enjoyed, will have a drive on it later.

There's a nice little touch inside the train - Matt appears on one of the posters.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Also this...
    DC2356B2-5C54-4191-81DD-1AF8CAA50DAA.jpeg
    I mean, was this even looked at on PS4?

Come on DTG/Rivet.
    This is just not acceptable quality :mad:

• Like Like x 7
  20. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

It’s at the end of one of the cabs (inside).

21. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Oh, it's probably an accident at work. Oh man :o

PS I watched it while falling asleep - did I dream if there were no passengers on the train inside?

22. Valdez

Valdez Active Member

A) Difficult Sony/Microsoft/Steam build and release processes.
    B) New developer working in an unfamiliar or unsuitable engine.
    C) Limitations of home working.

Place your bets now!

• Like Like x 4
  23. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

It does appear that the PS4 version has not been thoroughly looked at as the textures of details are very shoddy and not really fit for release. The automatically created lower LOD shapes do look odd close up (like Warner Bros cartoon backgrounds) and in this case we have no option than to look at them close up. Looking for a swift fix for this.

• Like Like x 5
  24. breblimator

breblimator Guest

D) lack of competence
    E) hurry
    F) deliberate action (LOD vs FPS)

• Like Like x 2
  25. LucasLCC

I think one of the issues is that it's very easy for bad things to overshadow the good things. From looking at streams, there's some very nice features on the route (like the cameras).

However, the textures in the cab put me off this completely. Buttons being not even slightly circular, and dials not correctly appearing. These are key things when driving the train.

The timetable mode also seems to have been set up wrong, with no stop times, and it not being possible to get a gold medal. It's a bit strange that something like this would even make release...

• Like Like x 4
  26. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Immediately noticeable issues. Kudos QA!
    1. Barely audible train sounds
    2. The three throttle positions seem to make no difference to speed.
    3. You are told to open the dispatch menu to open the doors. Have you forgotten the immersion controls?
    4. The trees look very poor.
    5. When doing the tutorial, the blue go via location markers changed before you touched them.
    6. Missing instructions from the tutorial.
    7. Incomplete trophy list (PS4).
    8. The graphics and textures are very poor and there is a lot of flickering.
    I am soooo disappointed.

It really does feel like DTG are taking the proverbial. It’s like they ask themselves what is the absolute minimum we can do to get a route out.

In my opinion this is as poor as WCML on TS2021. Completely unacceptable quality and there is no valid excuse for it.

• Like Like x 8
  27. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

• Like Like x 4
  28. breblimator

breblimator Guest

I recently purchased a CSX Hanover Sub for TS2021.
    High Iron Simulations. They showed they can.
    UEngine must be a real challenge to see Rivet fail so spectacularly...

29. Valdez

Valdez Active Member

I’m genuinely sorry you’re disappointed in it matjamca, but maximum DLC throughput at the expense of quality has been how DTG works since Railworks. Did you ever buy any of the Railworks/TS Christmas specials? “Just a bit of fun” = totally unplayable and not fun. Oh they’ll do their best to convince you things have changed. Sam will be unbelievably rude to Adam on a stream to get some laughs and try to convince you (without specifically stating it) that a fix could appear on the roadmap at some point. The plus side is they stream enough that you don’t really need to buy anything now!

• Like Like x 1
  30. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I’m wondering where the PS4 version originates. Do Rivet supply three versions of the route, one for each platform, or do Rivet supply the PC version and DTG make versions for the consoles? Answers on a postcard, please.

• Like Like x 4
  31. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

The texture of the sea is awful. It looks like rows of pattern.

This is not me having too high an expectation, it’s me expecting to have decent quality and it’s clear this has been released, especially on PS4 in a half-assed way.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2020
    • Like Like x 5
  32. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Your question may be the answer. I'm also very curious about the PC version.

• Like Like x 1
  33. LucasLCC

I think the comments on here made my decision easy to not purchase the route. I've always been a bit on the edge, thinking £20 was too much. But at the same time I wanted an excuse to buy the route - I'm really bad at impulse buying. In a way it's quite sad, as I really did hope that I'd get the route and enjoy it. I know in its current state the bugs would annoy me to the point I'd not enjoy the time spent playing (something that some of the preserved content currently achieves).

• Like Like x 5
  34. kennyjamesscott

kennyjamesscott Well-Known Member

Looks like I made good last minute decision to pass on this in the favour of Munich route.

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  35. OnlyMe1909

OnlyMe1909 Well-Known Member

Hope they do one of the two streams on PS4 :) Show the new route off in all its glory. Seeing the pictures of the buttons I'm guessing the chance is less then zero :)

• Like Like x 4
  36. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Given the amount of effort talked about in the Class 483 video into building the train, it’s like all that hard work melted on the PS4 version. I just don’t see how this got released looking like this.

• Like Like x 3
  37. flickyhecky

flickyhecky Active Member

For those looking for the missing camera, I'm doing a live stream in a moment about it! I found it, they were very crafty!

• Like Like x 3
  38. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I doubt they’ll play it on PS4 given the state of the graphics and textures. Though they did show WCML for TS2021in all its horridnous.

• Like Like x 2
  39. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

My own simplistic view of this is if it works on PC and they test it there they simply hit some button which converts it to console. It can’t have been tested there. The button textures are something any tester would have spotted within seconds of launching the console version surely

• Like Like x 6
  40. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

They cannot be missed. You’d have to be blind not to see they’ve gone wrong.

• Like Like x 5
  41. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

Looks all ok on pc on the current stream I’m watching. Be ready if you ask on tonight’s stream you will get spammed to log a ticket from the mods so make sure everyone has done that

• Like Like x 5
  42. Trainmania100

Seems like some of the graphics are compressed in some way that they lose quality in order to bring the file size down , if it is not sure who's fault it is for that

• Like Like x 2
  43. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

When walking around the car park of Ryde Pier Head and driving down the pier, the texture on the water does a weird strobe like effect that’s giving me a headache.

I’ve decided to have a walk round the route.

It’s such a shame.

• Like Like x 2
  44. OnlyMe1909

OnlyMe1909 Well-Known Member

Indeed TinTin, because we so often get a stock answer (DTG: if it's not on the roadmap.... / mods: Raise a ticket at ....) I hardly ever comment anymore on live streams. Yesterday was an exception, and even then I only made about 4 or 5 serious comments.

• Like Like x 4
  45. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

The lighting is far too bright in some areas and too dark on others.

I’m ripping this to pieces.

I do like the collectables though, apart from the Rivet Logo everywhere.

• Like Like x 3
  46. ross.duncan35

ross.duncan35 Active Member

47. a.paice

a.paice Well-Known Member

Can I ask why did you buy it? Surely you would of known this if you held off for a few hours and made an informed decision after watching other people play it.

The only way to get through to the higher-ups at these respective companies is to vote with your wallet. The employees who look on here will only be the developers who have poured a lot of work into it.

It’s why some other companies love pre-orders so much. They get the money anyway and then they don’t have to go the extra mile to convince you to buy it.

• Like Like x 3
  48. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Posters talk about ‘new’ trains. Which is kind of funny given the age of the old ones.

• Like Like x 2
  49. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I bought it because I sort of trusted DTG/Rivet to get it right and because some people have to buy it to know anything is wrong. Plus I really wanted the route. I had high hopes. Maybe I was naive.

• Like Like x 3
  50. ross.duncan35

ross.duncan35 Active Member

if everyone done that then there would be no feedback,i thank the people that buy and review it at release.

• Like Like x 4