How Does Dtg Propose To Get Over The ‘clarity’ Hurdle?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by londonmidland, Oct 11, 2020.

1. BigH

BigH Active Member

I don´t know one car game where you can smash a licensed car to bits. If you have crashing cars in games they are usually look-a-likes.

2. Winzarten

Winzarten Well-Known Member

Most racing sims. Grid games, older NFS, like Porsche Challenge, also some of the newer NFS.... I mean, companies have no problem having their licenses associated with illegal racing ;)
    There are other issues with crashes than just licensing, like different material behave differently (metal deforms, fiberglass breaks, carbon fiber just shatters) which takes lots of effor to do properly.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

NFS Pro Street had a pretty good damage model for it's time and it was all licenced cars.

4. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

It's baffling that they're not willing to do simple things

• Like Like x 1
  5. tallboy7648

I don't think the roadmap is for marketing but I wouldn't be surprised if it was however it isn't as transparent as it should be which is a poor decision they made. I think in terms of bugs, it should be in a sepreate roadmap released weekly to see what they are fixing.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  6. tallboy7648

This is exactly what DTG needs to do. It would increase transparency

7. DTG Protagonist

DTG Protagonist Has left the building Staff Member

tallboy7648 LucasLCC You've both made your point repeatedly, and have had numerous responses on the topic. We've increased the level of transparency into the development work we're actively doing and while that might not be sufficient for your preference that's all there is.

• Like Like x 6
  8. LucasLCC

LucasLCC Well-Known Member

Actually, that's the thing, you haven't responded to these two points I raised above:

Neither of these are about transparency, so I'm not sure why your comments even relate to them.

I certainly haven't had "numerous" responses on the above, in-fact all I've had is silence on the matter.

• Like Like x 1
  9. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

It is easy to think something is simple without looking into it in depth.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  10. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

I’m obviously not obsessive enough about bugs to follow them so closely.
    Just say bugger and move on.
    Guess some people prefer the driving experience to the achieving of goals.

New corporate logo.
    Pleasing some of the people some of the time...

11. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Car companies are slightly less risk averse when it comes to high definition videos of their machines crashing appearing on youtube...
    Only slightly less but still, there are other reasons why cars crash than the machine with their logo on. In railways that's not the case

But either way, unless DTG have a consistent sharing experience on all platforms it's not gonna happen so this conversation is moot

12. tallboy7648

There haven't been any numerous responses but hey it's dtg

13. johnjohn190690

johnjohn190690 Active Member

I play TSW2 on PC one feature I play the most is timetable service. I really enjoy this feature and to see München - Augsburg have 427 services was nice. They did mention about layers for PC and that shows to me that they not treating any of the multi platform differently there is certain limits to consoles that they are working on. I've got TSxx on PC and I've jumped over to TSW2 I've read people moaning about editor and coming from TSxx I do feel editor has carried TSxx over last few years. I think TSW2 is a move in the right direction it opens the door for people who can't afford a PC and want to play TSW2 because at the end of the day we play for enjoyment to be able to go from point A to B without this in house fighting over consoles holding everything back. I don't feel consoles are holding anything back DTG have taken a different step to what people expect and people who have played TSxx want to see the same game but TSxx and TSW2 are two different games. I play more TSW2 than TSxx now and I'm looking forward to more content for TSW2, I've invested loads of money into TSxx and I think that's where the issue is do people want to start from scratch with TSW2. I've got all the routes from TSxx which are in the road map coming to TSW2 and I'm looking forward to playing them on TSW2.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  14. volvolover1972

volvolover1972 Well-Known Member

A lot of the things mentioned in this thread are a result of this "artificial" problem DTG has created by saying that all platforms must be equal. I mean I get why most people don't want or are unable to get a gaming PC, but clearly there's an understanding that some platforms might come with their own advantages and disadvantages. E.x if you buy an Xbox you're aware you won’t be playing PlayStation exclusives. My point is who cares if PC gets additional services because it can handle it (depending on the system of course). Or who cares if Xbox One X is able to handle more services than an Xbox One. Other than maybe price I don’t see why anyone would get mad. I understand the editor has additional issues, but in my opinion there is absolutely no reason why Steam Workshop cannot be enabled for scenarios and community reskins. There might be some issues with licensing in regard to public reskins, but other games have had no problems. (SCS, Fernbus,...). This whole idea of platform fairness is just absurd to me. Take Cities Skylines for example. Successful on all platforms (including Switch) and yet it is literally one of the most modded games that exist on PC. And in that particular case, depending on the mods and assets you use, you will even bottleneck a high end PC. In that case it’s understood that a PC with 32 GB of memory will be able to use more mods than a system with 8 GB. No one complains about fairness because people are away that a lower spec pc will have disadvantages. I’m not bashing anyone for playing on their preferred platforms, I’m just pointing out the this flawed idea that the platforms should be equal when in reality they are not.

• Like Like x 4
  15. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

DTG have surprised me with the latest release of Hauptstrecke München - Augsburg, they’re including all layers of services despite console not initially being able to have them all work at launch.

This is something I’d like to see in the future, where both console and PC variants of the game differ slightly from each other. This will mean we’re more likely to take full advantage of our hardware and not be limited by consoles relatively weak specs.

• Like Like x 2
  16. LucasLCC

However, that's not what's happening this time...

DTG want to implement a system that allows the user to select their layers depending on what they want / console can handle.

I'm all for this, as it makes sense for both PC and consoles (not all consoles are equal, some cope fine others don't).

Instead, it seems that DTG are going to release the routes on console with just the base layers. This is really unacceptable, as it's once again that they're shafting the console players (who pay the same, if not more, for the exact same routes). IoW is another example of console players being shafted with poor QA, as is the Koln - Aachen crashes since the MSB stock was added. They need to do things properly before the layer selection becomes another editor, and never materialises....

• Like Like x 1
  17. volvolover1972

volvolover1972 Well-Known Member

It's kind of weird how DTG can’t seem to figure out an issue like this for consoles. I mean there’s infinitely more configurations for a PC that DTG have to make sure the game works on than there are consoles. All DTG has to do is QA like 4? different consoles to check for bugs. I mean on PC there’s already options that you can turn on and off to your liking and based on what your Pc spec is. On PC though it’s up to the individual user to determine what settings the game runs at best based on spec and preferences. DTG are fully capable of testing what settings give the best performance on each console while giving the user some options to cater to his/her preferences.

• Like Like x 1
  18. LucasLCC

Given the issues on the IoW, I'm not convinced the testing process even involves consoles sadly...

All the need to do is add the option to pick layers, alongside a warning "you've selected too much, this may cause your game to crash".

The recent crashes on SKA are rather odd. They're at the end of the journey in one direction only, and occur even if you save a minute before (so hopefully reducing some strain on the CPU). It's almost like it's just down to a dodgy asset...

• Like Like x 1
  19. tallboy7648

I agree with you and you using cities skylines is a perfect example. Console players do pay more for routes at launch because pc players get discounts and not consoles. I could understand why they're trying but let's face it, PC and consoles aren't the same and them trying to equalize things is only making more problems. I do think tsw2 should been had steam workshop for pc players and I play both on pc and console. I think dovetail needs to change this idea and it may sound unfair for a console player to not get equal treatment but that's the cost of owning a console. PC and console are not the same

• Like Like x 1
  20. tallboy7648

Dovetail really really needs to change how their QA process and sign off process is dealt with because these issues shouldn't be happening. I get it's a technical problem but releasing the route so early when it has problems and they know it has problems for consoles is unacceptable. Their "Release It Now, Fix It Later" policy needs to change. Actually make sure it works before announcing something that isn't gonna work properly

• Like Like x 2
  21. wargame99

wargame99 New Member

It's interesting that many streamers of TS2021 insisted that they won't convert over to TSW and now TSW2. From a PC user perspective, TSW2 doesn't have the years of content, DLC, Sound Packs, fan created scenarios and liveries among other items. TSW2 routes are shorter than many, if not most of the TS brethren. They seem to cater in large measure to the speed runs of the fast commuter lines. For what it is, TSW2 is nice, its fun, but is to an extent it is to some TS users, one dimensional in what is provided comparatively. If that works for your purposes then all is good or if you are limited only to a console. If all I had was a console, I would be tickled pink by the prospect of TSW2 too. If you want the depth and variety of TS then TSW might not meet your requirements. Either way, DT has a product for you...

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020