Monster Sale Now On Until 26th October.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ex-railwayman, Oct 16, 2020.

1. ex-railwayman

ex-railwayman Active Member

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

I have less money after reading this post than I had before.

3. ntypeman

ntypeman Well-Known Member

Steve,

thanks for the heads up... My wallet won't thank you though...!!! :o

Incidentally, does anyone know if there's a way to make items in the store "grey items out" if you already have them???

Eric

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
  4. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

A thing to note, it seems like items can sell out.
    A.png

5. paulworrall31

paulworrall31 New Member

With the possibility of items selling out in mind I assume theres no problems with buying now but not using the codes until xmas? My son is addicted to TS and it’d be great to get him a bunch of extra routes for him for xmas but not have them appear in his steam account beforehand.

6. ntypeman

Paul...

that's your wallet doomed then... ;)

I think you'd have to either buy them as a gift OR buy them for yourself from the DTG store, they them email you codes but DO NOT activate them till you are ready...

Once you have the codes you can then activate then once you are logged into your sons account on steam (presuming he has his own account???).

That's what I did this morning when buying the MML & Class 40 add ons but obviously I don't have to wait till xmas...!!!

Eric

7. paulworrall31

paulworrall31 New Member

He’s got an account i can access (he’s only 12 so we manage it for him) so not a problem with buying myself and then adding later. Its more knowing if theres an expiry on the codes. Eg. Have to be redeemed in steam within a certain time limit after purchase. I’m guessing there probably won’t be but would hate to spend a fortune and then find the codes have expired before activation.

Theres so many great routes and engines he’d love to add to his growing collection. Seems all his pocket money has gone on TS lately. As i speak he’s driving a DB BR 01.5 along a uk branch line. Not very realistic but great fun.

8. ntypeman

Paul,

there shouldn't be an issue with codes expiring, you can still buy "old" copies of TS "for pennies" [figuratively speaking] (TS2015, TS2016 etc...) that will activate and give you access to older routes (it would be good way of building his route library cheaply [don't know what he's got / how long he's been playing])...

Just my penny's worth, I'm sure some of the others will add some helpful suggestions / advice...

Eric

9. Pookeyhead

I bought TS 2018 to get North Wales Coast only a few months ago. No issues with the Steam code.

10. paulworrall31

paulworrall31 New Member

Thanks for the advice. He’s got a few of the ‘old’ copies to give him a decent start off along with a bunch of free add ons and a couple of extra routes (settle to carlisle, south wales coast) from steam. Figured there wouldn’t be a problem.

11. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

When you buy something as a Gift you can set a date that person will receive it by email.
    My wife did the same a few years back and I got the email on Christmas day

Peter

12. ex-railwayman

How on earth can a digitally created computerised asset 'run out'? Surely, it's just a copy and paste of all the files in one folder to whomever pays for it, so, how can it be ''sold out'', it's not a physical tangible asset, you can copy and paste any digital item to everyone on the Planet, it's indestructible, it'll never 'run out'???

Cheerz. Steve.

13. Medellinexpat

Medellinexpat Well-Known Member

‘How on earth can a digitally created computerised asset run out?’

Hardly unusual. They may well set a predetermined number to be available at the sale price and when they’ve sold that many they’re no longer available at the sale price.

14. ex-railwayman

It's highly unusual for DTG!!!! They aren't Ubisoft, Rockstar Games, or, EA Sports, who have MILLIONS of customers, this is DTG we're talking about here scrapping and scraping for every penny, I didn't know they were that rich that they can set predetermined numbers for Sale items, maybe they should spend some of this wealth in getting some more experienced and knowledgeable staff employed to do more scripting and other creativity in their DLC offerings, such as their recent abysmal WCML South, that's turned out to be the British equivalent of Donner Pass!!!!!

Cheerz. Steve.

15. LucasLCC

LucasLCC Well-Known Member

DTG are provided with a finite number of codes by steam. When they run out or run low, they have to get more from Steam.

I imagine they'll be back in stock on Monday.

16. michael hooley

michael hooley Well-Known Member

Very rare i buy anything in Dovetail Sales it is so easy to jump at a bargain and find you already have it. At leas in steam you can insantly see if you have it or not, unless someone knows a method of doing the same on Dovetail without going through enless checks?

17. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that in the past, DTG did their own sales just before a Steam sale. I suspect we'll see the very same discounts next week at Steam Halloween sale. :P

18. Pookeyhead

Just copy and paste it into Steam... takes 5 seconds to check.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

I've actually resisted so far, sure there's a few things I 'could' get but nothing I "oooh I really need that" has jumped out at me, maybe I'm over my Pokemon-esque addiction ?

Nah probably not, may have a look through them again later, UK rail, gotta catch 'em all!