Sand Patch Grade Braking

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by thomastl59374, Oct 17, 2020.

1. thomastl59374

thomastl59374 Well-Known Member

I've recently played the Cumberland Charge scenario and I had real difficulty trying to control my speed when going down the hill. What is the best thing to do. At the moment I've been applying all 3 brakes just to slow it down.

• Like Like x 1
  2. breblimator

breblimator Guest

1. Try to use only a dynamic brake.
    2. If DB is not enough - blend it with an automatic brake (initial/minimum reduction) but bail off a locomotive's brake.
    3. Use an independent brake (extra) if necessary.

A light manifest train can be stabilized using only DB.
    Coal or other heavy trains: DB + AB + IB.
    ~10 PSI reduction (EQ 80) is enough (or too much, so - bail off) in 99% TSW cases :)

All changes should be done slowly, gradually.

PS Using only AB alone is not advisable - Minimum Reduction is often not enough, and any more than that - too much... in this game! :)

BR o7

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2020
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. thomastl59374

Thanks, I have tried this but I haven't done it gradually and I've had to resort to the emergency brake

4. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Any 'hard to handle' coal train scheme is for me like this: leaving the tunnel -> minimum reduction -> bail off -> slight adjustments using DB to stabilize the speed. After passing Hyndman, AB it is basically not needed. Only braking ahead of Ellerslie. GL & HF

PS It's like a mini-game with these brakes. But 10 pounds of air is a lot! :D
    UPDATE Minimum Reduction + DB 'Notch 8' + a little tiny bit of IB is enough for every TSW SPG train, at the steepest point of the downhill!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2020
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. RGoodellSr

RGoodellSr Member

I had the same experience. I finally made it to Cumberland alive and the signal was stuck on red because I had saved the game mid-progress... Now I have to make that trip again

• Like Like x 2
  6. RGoodellSr

RGoodellSr Member

I wonder if I need to run to the back of the train and set up the locomotives for DPU before starting down the mountain?

7. breblimator

breblimator Guest

• Like Like x 2
  8. thomastl59374

I've also had trouble when setting off after the stop and Sandpatch. 1st time I was fine but second I barley made it to 0.8mph before stopping. I couldn't apply more than notch for otherwise I wheel slipping and rolled back down the hill.

9. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Correct DPU settings are essential, but some services (e.g. heavy trains and driving in rain) are not feasible.