PlayStation Iow - Is It Worth Buying?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by 2-4-1, Oct 16, 2020.

1. 2-4-1

2-4-1 New Member

Hello all PS4 TSW players.

I've been playing TSW & TSW2 for the last 9 months or so & really enjoy it. I've got quite a few add ons & I was looking forward to the release of IOW, fully intending to purchase it yesterday.

However, I then saw all the negative comments on this forum, along with some of the screenshots of the poor cab textures, etc.

Now I'm one who can overlook some of the minor bugs that seem to be part & parcel of the TSW series but I have a question to all those PS4 players who have bought & played this route: Is it worth buying now or do you, in hindsight, wish you hadn't bought it until the problems are resolved?

When responding, please note that I'd only be paying £17.70 because I managed to get a £20 PSN wallet top for that amount.

I accept that, when it comes down to it, it's a personal decision but I'd be interested to hear your views.

2. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I’ve got mixed feelings. It’s playable and relatively fun. Collecting the four collectables and walking most of the line was an enjoyable experience.

On PS4, the six missing trophies (compared to Xbox/PC) and the lack of medals in timetable mode and being unable to earn a gold medal in the scenarios is definitely holding things back for me. I don’t want to have to do everything I’ve already done a second time to get the medals/trophies etc.

The graphics are poor on PS4 and there are reports of it being poor on Xbox, but it’s clear this is some sort of glitch as the PC stream last night was glorious. Hopefully it’ll get fixed soon.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

I am in the same boat as you and have read/seen all the comments. I am also ready to pull the trigger when two things are fixed. 1) The general texture quality across the board which is night and day difference between PS4 and PC at the moment, 2) when the full list of trophies are available (currently only 4 out of 10 are available).

If the route looks and functions as it did on last nights stream I would have no hesitation, it looks a lot of fun to play. A purchase choice I feel is out of my hands at the moment until we get a statement on timelines for fixes which do not appear on the roadmap.
    My only worry is now that Rivet move on and focus on the Arosa line now as only 1/3 platforms are having IOW trouble.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Lenwigg

Lenwigg Well-Known Member

I was very disappointed when I first played it. I have most routes from TSW 2020 and this is the first route that I have been disappointed with. I almost did not buy it after watching a stream but and tried not to. But I decided a while back that I would purchase all UK routes if possible when they came out and decided to take the plunge. After my first couple hours on it I was wishing I had waited. Then later in the day another hour or so on it and I warmed to it a bit more. Then late last night/early this morning another half hour or so and started to enjoy it a lot more beginning to appreciate to good parts about it such as the beautiful country side views on the Isle of Wight and managed to put the bad points to the back of my mind.

Would I purchase it now knowing what I know after playing it mmmmmm? Difficult but probably as it seems every time I go on it I seem to enjoy it more. But I hope that they fix the bugs soon as I was looking forward to it a lot being UK and spending many camping holidays on the Isle in the 70s and 80s.

When I first played it I would have given it a 3 out of 10, after second play, 5 out of 10, now 6 out of 10.

• Like Like x 3
  5. RealKenny_D

RealKenny_D Member

You must have been so disappointed to give a 3. I'm disapppointed and I haven't bought it!. It shouldn't be like this. You should be able to score greater than 6 following the waiting and all the pre-launch teasers. It's been a flop at launch for PS4 and people will learn from this, learn to wait before parting with their cash.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

It is a fun route, though I’m limiting myself to the same two timetable services for the time being. I don’t want to do the scenarios etc until the PS4 version has the full trophy list and medals.

• Like Like x 1
  7. septafan

septafan Active Member

When doing the scenarios no matter how good you run you cant earn enough action points to get gold.

8. derek40p

derek40p Member

I am bit dissatisfied with it cab looks dark for me with eye sight problems is hard I am thinking why did I buy it hope the next british route or the swiss route is better

• Like Like x 1
  9. Lenwigg

I did think the same at first. But after playing it a few more times I am liking it more now.

10. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I have no regrets in buying it and the low texture quality is easy to ignore when you know a fix will be coming soon. The biggest issue with gameplay is the missing times in all the services, which don’t get in the way of driving the train but do take away both the challenge of being on time and the rewards in the shape of points and medals, but for the moment means you can have a nice relaxing drive without having to worry about being on time, which kind of makes up for it. The route is beautiful.

If you were looking forward to it, and you can ignore the issues for now, it should be easy for you to make the decision to buy it.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Lenwigg

I didn't like it at first and wished I had waited. Now after playing it a few more times I am enjoying it more by concentrating on the good things such as the beauty of the route.

The times being missing is a pain because that is the main thing I enjoy doing when I am playing a passenger service, chasing timetable times. But yes guess looking at it as more relaxing drive does help a bit.

• Like Like x 2
  12. 2-4-1

2-4-1 New Member

Thanks for all your comments. I've decided to take the plunge & get this route. It's currently downloading. However, I'm hoping a patch is released to remedy the issues, in particular the service times, very soon.

• Like Like x 2
  13. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

Let us know what you think once you have driven it. I am hanging on for the patch which should come fairly quickly I think. I’m more interested in IOW than the new German route coming this week

• Like Like x 2
  14. 2-4-1

2-4-1 New Member

Hi TinTin

I haven't driven yet but I have walked the route (it's possible to do in a reasonable time being so short) & it certainly looks beautiful, especially in the sunshine. It reminded me a bit of WSR.

There's some pathways off the track that you can walk down, one in particular that leads to a lake. You can also walk around the car park at the end of the pier & look off the end. A nice touch I saw there was the reflection of the pier in the water, which I think looks great. Certainly no problem with route graphics for me.

The ambient sounds are good too & I did hear seagulls although I didn't see any. I thought the buses & passing trains sounded good.

Whilst doing this I was able to find all but 2 collectibles (a ticket & a camera), which was fun.

I'll report back again once I've actually driven but so far so good for me.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Rail Runner

Rail Runner Well-Known Member

I think it’s a tough one. It is quite nice just going backwards and forwards on the route. There is room for improvement, but it also has some nice touches; there is a foot crossing south of Brading which leads to a small Café which is a great addition considering it is in the middle of nowhere and you have to walk the route by foot to discover it. It is the same for the Car Park at the Pier Head.
    Overall, I would say that it is a good route, but potentially not worth £19.99. Maybe £14.99, but there is always the sale!

• Like Like x 2