Train Suggestion Abellio Scotrail Class 385

Discussion in 'Loco Suggestions & Proposals' started by 385_seagull_320, Jul 17, 2019.

1. 385_seagull_320

385_seagull_320 New Member

IMG_20190711_145213 (2).jpg Here is my suggestion the Abellio Scotrail Class 385.

The Class 385 is an electric multiple unit built by Hitachi Rail for Abellio ScotRail. A total of 70 units have been built, divided into 46 three-car and 24 four-car sets. The new trains were bought to operate services on newly electrified lines in the Central Belt on a mixture of both suburban and inter-urban routes and entered service in July 2018.

Formations:
    Three car sets : DMSLw (4410xx car) has wheel chair space and accessible toilet. TPS (4420xx car) pantograph located on this car. DMSL (4440xx car) has bicycle space and symbol on cab front and small toilet. Standard Class seating only.
    Four car sets : DMCLw (4411xx car) has first class seating, with yellow border around the windows and accessible toilet. TPS (4421xx car) pantograph located on this car. TS (4431xx car). DMSL (4440xx car) has bicycle space and symbol on cab front and small toilet. Standard and First class seating.

Routes:
    The Class 385 operates on the Glasgow Queen Street to Edinburgh Waverley via Falkirk High / Falkirk Grahamston, Glasgow Queen street / Edinburgh Waverley to Stirling / Dunblane / Alloa, Glasgow Central to Edinburgh Waverley via Shotts / Carstairs, Edinburgh Waverley to North Berwick / Dunbar and finally Glasgow Central to Lanark / Neilston / Cathcart Circle.

It would suit the WCML North and the Glasgow to Edinburgh Expansion routes (if the Glasgow to Edinburgh was to be electrified in TS2019).

It would be amazing if this got added as it has really nice motors and in general it is a really nice train.

Thanks!;)

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

A sleek looking train but the front end is very sharp. The drivers' field of view must be narrow.

• Like Like x 1
  3. 385_seagull_320

[​IMG]

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. 385_seagull_320

Thats the cab (the picture above).

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

With all that tech I'm surprised it even needs a driver. :)
    Given that it is a wide angle shot and the window is really larger than it appears in the picture, it is still a narrow angle of view.
    Having said that, it is probably the same view in the old slam door Southern EMUs.

• Like Like x 2
  6. 385_seagull_320

True. Not the biggest view out the window.

• Like Like x 2
  7. budtheweiser

budtheweiser Active Member

Very Beautiful and really nice Brand new train

8. budtheweiser

budtheweiser Active Member

Great type of train for scotland

9. DTG Jamie

DTG Jamie Staff Member

A different type of unit, good suggestion, why do you like this unit, 385_seagull_320?

10. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

I'm going to dig this up since it was already suggested. I went looking at a VST service on the RTT and discovered three services around it all used the Class 385. So if you want an answer to your old question, Jamie, it's currently in use on Edinburgh-Glasgow and is needed as a hand to simulating current-year services, which would work on the Edinburgh-Glasgow Electrified Workshop route or on third-party projects like the Network ScotEast project (which uses the separate ATS OHLE pack, payware, I still cringe at that). The 334 also fits this description, though that could also be offered with the line through Airdrie and Bathgate on an alternate Glasgow to Edinburgh route as I did read that it's the one that goes past Airdrie and the 320/158 would not. Connecting this to Coatbridge Central and also connecting Cumbernauld to the route, plus perhaps the extra track from Barnhill-Springburn connector to Gartcosh Junction, would allow for a complete route through the area and also permit possible full Argyle Line services someday if a merge were completed.

I think a new E-G route could do the job here to make an official electric route and thus allow a proper 385 release, but then we have the question of would people buy it? I would say the package would need to include both versions, and those with the original would be deserving of a discount.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2021
  11. inversnecky

inversnecky Well-Known Member

It really is an ugly devil!