Isle Of Wight - Buy Or Not ?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by olsbyn, Oct 19, 2020.

1. olsbyn

olsbyn Active Member

What is your take on the dlc, I haven't decided wether to buy it or not based on the Steam reviews, so are they true: poor sounds, copy/paste assets, poor textures ?

Is it worth the buy ?

2. mclitke

mclitke Well-Known Member

These are my personal opinions:
    -Sound issues are minor (like no increased sound when opening the window, has been noted by Rivet)
    -I did not notice copy/pasted assets, but then again I did not look out for it so I will stay neutral on that.
    -poor textures are a problem on consoles, did not see anything on pc that bothered me in that regard.

-I like the track as it is beautifully modeled and quite relaxing to drive.
    -the train is cute and works well, there is one bug where occasionally the train will just start speeding after releasing the breaks.
    -one huge negative aspect to me, currently there are no times set for arrival at the stations which seems to be a bug under investigation. But as a result you can't get gold medals and have absolutely zero pressure while driving.

If you are undecided, wait until it goes on sale, then most of the terrible bugs should be fixed and you will feel better with the price for what you get.

• Like Like x 5
  3. montes_1234

montes_1234 Well-Known Member

You can watch some streams and see if you like it. By watched myself I can say that the route looks pretty. Things that didn't bought me are sounds of train and no visiable cab sway. Other things look good like for example truck layout. But on a few places I saw some unusually sharp track bandings. This are usually deal breakers for me. Example of bad track layout is RRO. And I must say that this type of railway that is like old trains and like heritage should look and feel old. That said I would expect that the train sound like an old machine. But to get that sound developer should have access to the loco to be able to record it properly. Like this it is lacking badly which is again a big minus in my opinion.

4. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

In my opinion as a PC simmer, if it is the sort of route you would enjoy I would say yes.

The pro's in my view are a nicely detailed and pretty route, nicely modelled train which is quite fun to drive, good track joint sounds, plenty of services
    Negative points for me are the stop markers are too far along some platforms which is not authentic, the water textures in the Solent are possibly not the best, the shed at Ryde is devoid of clutter and doesn't look like a place of work. No reverberation sounds under bridges or indeed the tunnel at Ryde, which seems to be common on TSW, I certainly haven't got them on my system.

So for me, a few minor niggles but not enough to detract from the overall experience and nothing game breaking.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Despite its problems, it’s a nice, fun route. I’d recommend it, but you might want to wait until the route is patched for consoles.

• Like Like x 4
  6. The SimTrain Tube

The SimTrain Tube Well-Known Member

I noticed that the throttle doesn't always respond when the reverser is set to the forward 2 position.
    As seen in this video:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

It's a nice route, a bit expensive. If you are worried about the technical issues, you may want to wait a few weeks and see what the patches will do for you. Gameplay is a bit limited, but it is very relaxed driving and sometimes that is nice. The worst is no sea gulls :love:.

8. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

That is to be expected. In real life using forward 2 is not allowed, because the trains are very old and may break. :)

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  9. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

If you don’t like copy and paste assets then you will no longer be able to buy any route because they all have them. Building bespoke assets for everything in a route is never going to happen but there are plenty of assets in this route that have been custom built to look exactly like real life. The sounds aren’t poor, they are very good in fact, just a few levels issues with the opening of windows not increasing the level of the sound in the cab etc. The poor textures are being fixed and don’t affect the PC version anyway. There are one or two other little bugs that need attention but nothing too serious.

There is an issue of the times being missing in all the services, which is the biggest problem with the route. Hopefully that will be rectified. Otherwise it’s a very well built route with nice detail and a pleasurable drive in a great train. The short length isn’t an issue, if you do there and back sessions it feels like you’ve done a proper full drive on a fully contained route.

It is definitely worth buying, even with the few issues there are. When everything is fixed it’s going to be one of the best routes in TSW2, it’s already pretty close.

• Like Like x 10
  10. uvm0902

uvm0902 Well-Known Member

I took a long time to make a decision. Thought to buy at a discount, but could not wait long. I bought it today. The route is short but beautiful. The train is well built. Liked the sounds. I wanted to support the RIVET team. Good job. I am satisfied.

• Like Like x 2
  11. michael hooley

michael hooley Well-Known Member

I have not decided whether to buy IOW yet. the graphics look really good, I maybe wrong but after a couple of trips up and down the line there is nothing more.

• Like Like x 2
  12. olsbyn

olsbyn Active Member

I have no problem with short routes as long as there is enough services. I am a fan of Rivet games from TS, though I'm not a fan of the general 5 scenario routes that seems to be the consensus of TS.
    I'm also ok with reusage of assets, I should have made that clearer in the OP, what I meant was copy/paste as in a complete lack of custom objects or reskins of assets, that's the impression I got from the Steam reviews anyhow.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Shaun123

Shaun123 Well-Known Member

Personally for me, when the biggest issue is the lack of a timetable, more than anything else, then it’s a fantastic route!

• Like Like x 2
  14. mattdsoares

mattdsoares Well-Known Member

Visually it's a mess on some consoles, but PC was entirely spared of those issues.

Otherwise, the route looks fine-good, runs well, and the train itself is very well done (some people have complained about sounds as they usually do if it isn't Armstrong Powerhouse, but it's up to you how much you care).

It is lacking required timetabled stops so you don't have a specific time to chase, but on a stream they acknowledge it missing and suggested they'll get it sorted.

On PC I would say the only thing you should base your decision on is if you're interested in the route and will be happy just puttering back and forth on it due to it's short length. If the answer is yes, then there is nothing technically wrong with the route that should cause me not to recommend it.

• Like Like x 1
  15. BigMountain555

BigMountain555 Well-Known Member

I like this route. The only issue is the short length. The graphics (PC) are gorgeous. The lack of timetable enables me to play a relaxed form where I can take my time at stops to walk around and enjoy the views.

I try not to focus too much on the price... It's up to you if you want to buy it. Nobody is forced.

Compared to the upcoming German route that's planned for this week, you can see the disparity. The newer route has far more going for it for only $10 more.

That being said, this route is nice visually and the train is fun to drive. I hope the fix the glitches like entering and exiting the cab via the doors. It would be great if they also included the hovercraft and seagulls.

• Like Like x 1
  16. montes_1234

montes_1234 Well-Known Member

The route currently has rating of around 40% on steam, with around 40 negative and around 30 positive reviews. Really shamefully.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  17. mclitke

mclitke Well-Known Member

The steam reviews are flawed though, HRR has no positive overall rating and the br 204 neither. That's why I passed on them. Bought HRR in a sale then and it is one of my most favorite routes. And the br 204 I heard hat problems at launch while now I only ever heard praise for it (and I might buy it finally on next sale)
    It is better to get feedback like here on the forums, as the steam reviews seem a bit random at times

• Like Like x 4
  18. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

Belive it or not I'm thinking about getting this route, too (although I said to myself "only German content since that's what you like most ...) BUT with some lower price. So I'm putting this on hold until sale and focus on HMA (after the first feedback arrives here at the forums regarding signals and bugs ... this time no day-1 purchase from my side)

• Like Like x 1
  19. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

I bought it and enjoy it.
    A gentle bucolic interlude, when you want to play but need something less demanding.

• Like Like x 1
  20. mattdsoares

mattdsoares Well-Known Member

Steam reviews are a mess for Train Simulator and TSW DLC in general. Sometimes it's because there are legitimate issues with a route or loco. Others it's because a bunch of people couldn't figure out what PZB or AWS was and complained their train kept stopping so the route sucks. Looking at overall positives and negatives for TSW/TS DLC doesn't always really tell you as much as you think. Better off reading what the reviews actually say and the stated reasons for the positive or negative vote. For example, the LIRR M3 DLC sits at "mixed" on Steam reviews. If you look at the negatives, they tend to revolve mostly around the unit using recycled sounds from the M7. This is something that as a traditional rail fan does not bother me, as long as the sampling itself sounds believable, which it does. Context is important. If we look at the IOW reviews there are a lot of gripes about things that aren't necessarily bugs or real issues for most people, but are to the reviewer, and that's fine. But again, context. One negative review docks the route for having incorrect positioning of stop markers on some platforms, or the route not having the heritage steam route despite the game it was made for not having the ability to do steam PERIOD. So that review contributes to the negative overall score, but hinges upon issues that personally do not matter to me at all and in same ways, may simply be flawed. Another gave a negative review and a contributing factor was the manual being released a day late...

EDIT: I just read another Steam review of IOW that gave it a negative rating in part because you can't make a livery for the train (pretty sure you can as I've already seen others do it), and because the route doesn't have a guard more...despite that at no time being a feature of the game itself. So yea. READ the reviews, don't just look at their score.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
    • Like Like x 3