Scenario Load Time.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jackthom, Oct 19, 2020.

1. jackthom

jackthom Active Member

I’ve just added TS2021 on Steam after having dabbled with TSW2 since it came out and I’m surprised how long it is taking, after choosing a drive or scenario, for the session to actually start in the cab.

I’d say it was around twice the time I’m used to with TSW so, as a very new newbie, I wonder is this to be expected or is there some way of speeding things up?

2. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

It's normal. Installing TS on a fast SSD obviously helps, but even then it's pretty slow.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. jackthom

jackthom Active Member

Thanks for that I’ll just be patient and have a cuppa before settling into the driving seat.

4. michael hooley

michael hooley Well-Known Member

I think it depends on the size of the route, IOW loads in about 20 sec but the average is about 1 min.

Mike

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. michael hooley

I must add that I have a very fast computer and 2 m2 ssd wd black drives.

6. jackthom

jackthom Active Member

I’ve only tried Fife Circle and WCML South so far and both were well over 1 minute, maybe even more than 2mins. Computer Is reasonably fast with sata SSD.

7. michael hooley

That sounds about right Jack when i next fire up the computer i will time a few routes, but I do not think I have either of those. what do you think of the Fife Circle?, thinking of buying it if it is reduced in the Halloween sale.

Mike

8. jackthom

jackthom Active Member

It’s early days and I’m still battling with the menus and the layout of the controls. TBH I don’t have much to compare it with just yet and any comparison I’d make would probably be in relation to TSW2, so not really very helpful.

I’m hoping I’ll find lots of scenarios somewhere online to make it much more interesting than TSW but haven’t managed to look in the right place yet.
    There don’t seem to be many pre loaded in the game or at least I haven’t found them so far. I’m sure I’ll get there in the end.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
  9. Pookeyhead

Just loaded a few. Fastest was London to Peterborough, at 42 seconds. Longest I timed was On Track's Northern Lines V2.0 at 1min 31seconds.
    Obviously the exact scenario woudl make a difference too, as assets vary from one to another, even on the same route. I'm sure I've sat for longer than that on occasions.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

I know for a fact for some reason the Livonia Subdivision loads extremely slow. It all varies depending on the route.

• Like Like x 1
  11. michael hooley

You have come to the right place for help Jack, everyone is great on here, If you ever buy Settle to Carlisle route, I as a newbee like you did 5 scenarios on the Workshop, i think they all have 5 stars. they all start with MH.

Yes Pookeyhead Northern Lines takes ages on my system and the frame rate is up and down.

Mike

• Like Like x 2
  12. Pookeyhead

One thing you will find when first starting out is the sheer amount of required DLC some scenarios assume you have. If you look on places like DP Simulations, or Alan Thompson Sim etc, you may find it a frustrating experience, as it woudl appear you have to spend hundreds of Pounds in order to have the required DLC for most scenarios. Even third party routes will require you to have other routes... some of which may no longer even be available. Don't get disheartened. My advice is when you first start, make use of the Steam Workshop. Most things on there are only for DTG official assets, and many of the scenarios use fairly common assets you may already have.

The good thing with Workshop in TS2021 is that you can filter it to only show scenarios.routes that you have the assets to run...

Workshop filtered to show only addons you can have with your owned Assets.
    20201019170215_1.jpg

Or you can filter it to only list addons for a particular route you own...
    20201019170330_1.jpg

The downside is it doesn't list the third party stuff you own (unless I'm missing something). However, it's a great place to find content without breaking the bank when you start.

Don't forget in a week or so there will be a Steam Sale that will last a few days, and they always have some GREAT bargains.

Right now, until I think the 26th there's the DTG sale. https://store.dovetailgames.com/uk/sale

There are some routes on there at up to 60% off.

Also, you can get a load of assets by buying a Steam code for older versions of TS2xxx. Don't worry, it will not overwrite your new TS with an older version.. it will just install the included assets, and there are many online game retailers that will still sell you for example, TS2018, or TS2017 etc... Just ensure it is a reputable retailer (ask on here if anyone has used it).

There's no way to avoid it though... if you get into this... you'll be spending money. Just wait for sales, and also, look at the requirements for a great many scenarios, and you will start to see patterns emerging, where a lot of routes require the same asset.. then obviously, get that asset; Even if you have no desire to drive that route or asset, it opens doors to much more stuff you DO want that requires it. I've bought routes I've never driven just because so much other stuff requires it. It's not wasted money if you look at it in that light.

And don't forget to ask for help. Don't get frustrated. I hope I'm not patronising you with any of this, but I'm assuming you're a TS beginner, and it is very different from TSW in how you manage DLC and expand your collection.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  13. jackthom

jackthom Active Member

Thanks everyone, I’ve only been playing with TS for a few hours since buying it this morning and that’s a wealth of information you’ve provided already.

• Like Like x 1
  14. michael hooley

Just checked 3 routes

IOW After the Flood 18 sec

Pacific Coastliner Going South 40 sec

ECML London to Peterboro Hull Executive 1m - 30 sec.

Mike

• Like Like x 1