Problem With Activating Steam Key For Dlc

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by DefiantOne, Oct 18, 2020.

1. DefiantOne

DefiantOne New Member

Hello everyone. I just bought a Steam key for the "Ruhr Sieg Nord" route DLC via Kinguin, but Steam says the base game (TSW2020) has to be bought first. I have TSW 2 and from what I've read, you can still buy the TSW2020 DLC's and add them to TSW2 (Preserved Collection).
    Is there any way to activate the key, or do I have to buy the DLC again on Steam in order to install it?
    Thanks in advance for any answer or solution.

2. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Preserved Collection means DLC from 2020 goes to TSW2 but at first that has to be done in a proper way so You need TSW2020 for that key. DLCs for TSW2020 aren't standalone.

3. DefiantOne

DefiantOne New Member

Hmm, so would it work to get TSW2020 for Steam in order to install the Rhein-Ruhr DLC for TSW2? It would cost less to get TSW2020, rather than buying the DLC again on Steam.

4. breblimator

breblimator Guest

5. DefiantOne

DefiantOne New Member

No returns at Kinguin, unfortunately. At least not for the DLC I've bought. That "Monster Sale" at the Dovetail store looks tempting...

6. breblimator

breblimator Guest

I'm waiting for it to go directly to Steam. I would like to use the Steam wallet. The prices are very tempting!
    Your case - it's hard to say if it can be used sensibly, this key :(

7. DefiantOne

DefiantOne New Member

Well, I guess the best thing to do is to make use of the current sale at Dovetail and get the Rhein-Ruhr route again via their online store. I'd still pay 30€ for the DLC after I bought the TSW2020 version, but it's due to my own stupidity.

8. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Drop it on ebay or something :)
    PS everyone has such a rush - I know these topics yhyhy

9. FeralKitty

FeralKitty Well-Known Member

If you have the RRO TSW 2020 DLC, and you buy TSW 2020, you won't need to buy the RRO TSW2 version.

10. breblimator

breblimator Guest

The case is - how to use that key in TSW2 without TSW2020 :)

11. FeralKitty

Yes, I got that. If you look at the post I replied to, they mentioned having to pay more after buying TSW 2020.

• Like Like x 1
  12. mattdsoares

mattdsoares Well-Known Member

Yup, unfortunately you're SOL until you get a copy of TSW2020 as you specifically bought the TSW2020 version. TSW2 will honor that you already have it for TSW2020, only if you actually activate it on TSW2020.

13. Celendis

Celendis Member

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  14. DefiantOne

DefiantOne New Member

Thank you everyone for your replies. I stuck with buying the DLC again via the "Monster Sale" at the Dovetail store, didn't regret it, a nice addon so far, especially the DB Cargo missions.
    My initial plan was to buy TSW2020 in order to get the Main-Spessart DLC aswell, but judging by reviews, that one seems to be very buggy, so I'm looking away from that for now. Maybe I'm getting the DB BR 155 addon, looks nice enough for about 8€.

15. saint.russian

saint.russian Member

it is a confusing mess (in a way). my understanding of this was that the preserved collection dlc simply "shared" license with tsw2, so if the [new] customer with tsw2 (not tsw2020) purchased a preserved tsw2020 route it would automatically activate that licence for tsw2. (i dont understand the need to purchase the core 2020 anymore if you own 2?) It really doesn't make sence if they are trying to migrate everyone into 2. I really did not expect this "we will honor licence IF you buy 2020 core game" condition.

i just purchased lirr m3 loco from the dovetail store and it only activated licence for tsw2. i guess even though it is a "preserved" tsw2020 dlc originally, the licence does not work backwards (again, my understanding was any new dlc released after 2 was only for 2, and that those new dlc would not work backwards with tsw2020 core game, but purchasing "preserved" dlc for 2 would also activate licence of that original 2020 dlc because as mentioned, i understood those were "shared" licenses. im not upset over that, just surprised.

(or maybe the "sharing" preserved licence only works if you buy through steam, not just activate a key from dovetail store?)

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
  16. FeralKitty

The 2020 DLC all say that “This content requires the base game Train Sim World® 2020 on Steam in order to play.”

I don’t think there ever was any support to buy or license the DLC without its base game.

No, sorry. There are two separate versions of each DLC. If you buy the pre-preserved one made/sold for TSW 2020, it will be preserved in TSW 2 — you get the license for both — but if you buy the preserved one sold for TSW 2, it only unlocks the TSW 2 license, not the pre-preserved license for TSW 2020.

I believe Sam explained it this way. The license can travel forward from TSW 2020 to TSW 2, but it cannot travel backward from TSW 2 to TSW 2020.

• Like Like x 2
  17. DTG Natster

DTG Natster Producer Staff Member

FeralKitty has done a good job of explaining it but I just want to pop in here and offer some clarification.

Any DLC purchased through TSW2020 will be carried over to TSW2 as part of the preserved collection, this excludes NEC and all associated content that goes with it.

• You must have the core games
    • Purchasing TSW2 preserved collection DLC doesn't unlock it for TSW2020
    • You can purchase the preserved content at anytime on TSW2020 and it will still carry over.

• Like Like x 2
  18. R3dS41ft

R3dS41ft Active Member

Just to make sure I have this right.
    The dovetail store has 2 versions of rapid transit listed when I search.

The first one is "train sim world: rapid transit". This is for train sim world 1 and train sim world 2020 and is currently on sale at 50% discount.

The other one is "train sim world 2 rapid transit route add-on". This is for train sim world 2 and is not on sale.

If I buy the one currently on sale, "train sim world: rapid transit", it will be preserved for TSW 2 and work in TSW 2020. I get licences for the route in both games.
    Am I right?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
  19. DTG Natster

DTG Natster Producer Staff Member

That is correct R3dS41ft but remember you must own both core games.

20. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Each of these products has a corresponding mention in the description. You have to read it before you buy it. I have already learned from my mistakes. Unfortunately, in a slightly different field. BR