Why No 10% Discount On Consoles?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by dskxalive, Oct 15, 2020.

1. dskxalive

dskxalive Active Member

There’s always a 10% pre order discount on Steam for PC users, so why isn’t there a 10% discount for console users?

I understand that the console marketplaces are more difficult to use than Steam and you can’t make the routes available for pre order like you do on Steam. That’s fine. But for the first few weeks after the TSW2 launch, you managed to provide different discount rates for existing and new TSW users. So why are we now back to no discounts on consoles?

You (DTG) have made it very clear, that you want everything equal between PC and Consoles, but yet you give PC players a bigger incentive to buy at launch. If you’re going to push the “we want PC and consoles to be on the same playing field” narrative, then either give both platforms equal discounts at launch, or don’t give discounts to either. (I’m talking strictly at launch, I know you have less power over the console stores for when sales occur after launch).

Just seems to me that the equality between consoles and PC is just a PR excuse as to why you can’t make an editor etc. for PC.

Not a rant, okay maybe a little, but I think it’s a decent point I raise.

By the way, on Xbox, Isle of Wight is only available to buy on the Microsoft Store. It does not appear on the internet game store at this time.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  2. mattdsoares

mattdsoares Well-Known Member

First off, PC players will never get the Steam Workshop support or route editor they're used to with TS because of DTG not wanting to have console players not have the same. So the idea that they're somehow gong to purposely do PC a solid while screw console is nonsense. The financial future of the title is heavily tied to console.

Second, this was touched on in another thread where a similar complaint was lodged. The answer from DTG was that the console marketplaces require significant advance notice of any discount outside of their organized store wide sales, while Steam, only very short notice needs to be given. They did not get into actual timeframes, but essentially said that pre-order or launch discounts on consoles was difficult to impossible because they don't have set-in-stone launch dates for DLC far enough in advance to meet the console marketplace price change/sale deadlines.

That's what's been said by DTG. Now, how accurate that is, is up for debate. However, if you've ever owned any sort of video game before in your life, you'd realize that different platform versions go on sale at different times at different prices due to a lot of factors. This isn't some nefarious DTG plot.

• Like Like x 4
  3. dskxalive

dskxalive Active Member

I get that. I did mention in the original post that after launch sales is a different kettle of fish. I don’t expect all platforms to be on sale at the same time. But I would expect all platforms to be the same price at launch.

They’ve proven it is possible for them to do launch discounts with their previous release (TSW2) so why can’t they do the same now? They would know when the DLC is due for release well in advance so I can’t see that as an excuse.

As I said in the original post, give all platforms equal discount at launch, or don’t give any discounts at all. I don’t see why console players are made to pay full price when PC players get constant launch discounts. That’s not treating all platforms equally.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Rather than do a discount, if they want £20 for the route normally, they could maybe set the price to £18 (or whatever) for say 20-days and then change the price back to £20. That way early adopters across all platforms could benefit.

• Like Like x 1
  5. mattdsoares

mattdsoares Well-Known Member

I will defend my $3 discount til the death. lol. We're getting upset over a 10% discount which for US customers just barely covers the cost of sales tax.

All that being said, I dislike the mentality of "if I can't have it, no one can". Advocate for adding it to console, not taking it away from PC. I mean, why would you want you harm another person's wallet because you don't get it? That's not very nice.

• Like Like x 1
  6. pinxtonpaws

pinxtonpaws Guest

I would probably have bought it with the 10% discount but now that i've seen the overall quality of the route I don't even think it's worth the £18 that PC gamers are paying for it, so in hindsight it's not really a bad thing that it remained full price because I personally would have been pretty disappointed with the purchase.

Instead I think i'll pay the extra £3 (with the gamepass discount) and complete my UK mainland set with the much, much more appealing Tees Valley....assuming that purchasing the TSW2020 version does auto upgrade to work in TSW2.

• Like Like x 1
  7. dskxalive

dskxalive Active Member

It’s not the monetary value that’s the issue, it’s the principle. I agree that they shouldn’t take that discount away from PC players, but if I flip that around, why should console players have to pay more for the same game?

• Like Like x 1
  8. L89

L89 Well-Known Member

I don't think it's a case of just lowering the price for consoles then putting the price up later. You have to set a price and that price is locked in for a while. If publishers could just change the pricing of their games anytime then we would have sales that aren't controlled by Microsoft or Sony.

Unfortunately, they didn't do the launch discount promotion (sometimes these require Xbox Live Gold anyway) and if you want a lower price, then a sale you'll have to hope comes along in a few months. I use the rewards thing so usually get £5 credit every month.

9. SHINO BAZ

SHINO BAZ Well-Known Member

Watching dtg and microsoft point fingers at each other over who at fault for lack of tsw dlc sales is truly pathic.

Just blame both of them,neither one gonna change no matter what anyone thinks.

10. pinxtonpaws

pinxtonpaws Guest

TSW2020: CE is currently on sale for £23.99 so that will give you six routes containing two sets of achievements (TSW2020 + TSW2) for £4 each.... Well, it's a start I suppose :)

11. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

back in the days We got 50% discount or something like that I'm talking about PC

• Like Like x 1