PlayStation External Controllers For Consoles

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by stujoy, Oct 19, 2020.

1. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

With Raildriver and other external controller support coming, I was wondering whether they will be supported on consoles as well as PC. I’m assuming everything will be configurable from within the game so no other software would be needed to run any hardware that is supported.

So, will a PS4 or xbox player be able to use Raildriver or similar?

2. BigH

BigH Active Member

Probably not, because external controllers need a certification from Sony to work guaranteed. There is for example only one HOTAS that works in Elite Dangerous on PS4 but there are loads of different models on the market. Same with Steering Wheels for Car Games.

I might be wrong, but i highly doubt that DTG will tell us we can buy a certain equipment without certification. And i would totally understand that.

• Like Like x 2
  3. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

That’s assuming that they don’t get certification from Sony.

4. BigH

BigH Active Member

Yes, of course. P.I. Engineering needs to get the certification. And Raildriver Desktop is out of stock ´till December 2020. So maybe for the Next Gen Consoles.

5. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

As someone who has RD but started to use the PC for studying instead of gaming, I sincerely hope they will bring Raildriver to consoles but chances are really low. Especially for people who have the really older model like myself (I have RD since the early 2010s I would say), so maybe you would need a newer model with upgraded software maybe

6. mattdsoares

mattdsoares Well-Known Member

DTG don't own RailDriver. For SONY to certify RailDriver so it can be used on the console, it would need to be done by PI Engineering, the company that makes RailDriver. Nothing DTG can go other than work with the console's supported peripherals.

7. ehrenholt

ehrenholt Active Member

You can use the ATS AWS button, Door panels and Power Break Controller allready,

8. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

PI Engineering could do that. I assume that in bringing Raildriver support to TSW that the two companies (PI and DTG) will have spoken to each other, with the support being mutually beneficial. There are companies that have their products certified for use with PS4 that do not make the software they are used on. They get the certification due to a demand for their product, and console support for RD would likely lead to a great number of new customers. I just wanted to know whether it was happening.

• Like Like x 2
  9. mattdsoares

mattdsoares Well-Known Member

Would it though from a DTG standpoint? Hopefully DTG has done the research, but from purely an anecdotal point of view, I can't see taking much time or effort to make RailDriver, a controller specifically made for PC train sims compatible for PS4, something that is going to sell units of the game. If you own a RailDriver now...you play PC train sims already, so having it work on PS4 likely isn't a concern. Are people going to buy TSW on PS4 if RailDriver works for it? I can't really imagine that being the case. I could certainly see getting RailDriver to work for PS4 being beneficial for PI Engineering...but I can't really see it being worth anything other than minimal effort on DTGs part.

• Like Like x 2
  10. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

It's not quite that simple stujoy. To be certified a device has to be compatible with the PS4 that means it should have PS, share and options buttons, which Raildriver doesn't have. Therefore they'd have to make a different version and generally another one again if it was to work on the Xbox. There have been a few rare exceptions. So it'd be a cost thing, produce a new version and then pay for it to be certified and whether they think it was worth it, what with Raildriver being fairly expensive and TSW being a relatively small niche market. Wheels are expensive and they sell - but there are many more driving games out there.

What with the next generation consoles imminent they may even look to them instead.

• Like Like x 4
  11. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Yep exactly right, hopefully since recently consoles seems a bit more open to external hardware (such as keyboard and mouse) a future where RD can be used on console exists, but I'm not holding my breath.

Although it would be very cool to be able to use a Flight Stick throttle to control some trains that feature the combined throttle/brake handle since such hardware already exists for consoles.

Or maybe an exception is possible being RD such a niche product but again I don't see that happening...

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  12. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

So basically, while it is possible, it isn’t likely.

13. BigH

BigH Active Member

Keyboard and mouse was possible on the PS3, even via Bluetooh, thats nothing new. For Flight Sticks there is only one certified HOTAS from Logitech, others may work but most likely will not.
    With having a Linux/Unix based Operating System on PS3, PS4 and almost definitely on PS5 and RD only having Windows Drivers, i consider chances are pretty low for a properly working RD. You might get some functions working because they use the build-in keyboard driver, but for me that would not be enough to spend around €200 on a piece of hardware with very limited use. With certification it´s a different matter.

• Like Like x 1
  14. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

I've got that one and I did try it with TSW, but no luck unfortunately. The joystick could certainly have some inputs but the throttle in particular along with all the various buttons would have been very useful. Since that is a certified device it would be down to DTG to check for its presence and support it.

About sums it up. :) But you never know.

• Like Like x 1