Geared Steam Locomotives

Discussion in 'Loco Suggestions & Proposals' started by trainplayer2019, Mar 31, 2020.

1. trainplayer2019

trainplayer2019 Member

I have been interested in geared locomotives for a bit and I think that there should be a geared locomotive in TS

• Like Like x 2
  2. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

Do you mean Rack and Pinion used on steep inclines?

3. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

It's a different way of transmitting the power- I think the pistons drive a crankshaft that drives the axles via gears. They're typically quite slow but the mechanism gives them a high tractive effort. Shay loco's might be the best known types used on logging railways and the like.

"...drives the axles via geeks." How did I miss that?

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
  4. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Roaring Camp in Felton, Ca has a good example of all 3 main types of geared locomotives. Shay, Climax, and Heisler. Though the Climax still needs restoration.

Dixiana #1 (2-truck Shay)
    History-3.jpg
    Tuolumne #2 (2-truck Heisler)
    History-6.jpg
    #5 Bloomsburg (2-Truck Climax)
    unnamed.jpg

#6 Daisy (2-Truck Shay)
    IM000920_00_012.jpeg

#7 Sonora (3-Truck Shay)
    20160514_3609.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  5. Railmaster97

Railmaster97 New Member

I want a Heisler like the No. 2 in the pics. I'd love to have an HO scale model of it, too.

• Like Like x 1
  6. jedi247

jedi247 Well-Known Member

Three words: Cass Scenic Railroad. This tourist railroad would be awesome. We could get the Shay steam locos, the Heisler, and the Climax.

• Like Like x 2
  7. DTG Jamie

DTG Jamie Staff Member

Interesting choice of locomotive, why do you like this style of locomotive? and what class of the type is your favourite, trainplayer2019?

8. trainplayer2019

trainplayer2019 Member

I have visited the booming railroad as a kid, they had shays, and i really like Cass (never been there) but i would like for someone to make it because this haven't been done in (geared locomotives) TS history and I think this would be a unique thing to play since everyone else is use to the traditional geared locomotives, i would really like something new. When i have put some time into it, i came to like it because its a work horse like the narrow gauge railways in britain for ex. for the slate and coal to the standard guages. and since Cass was a logging town to supplement loggers and make the trees into paper, that is something that I think that everyone would enjoy

• Like Like x 1