Ts2021 Crashes After A Few Minutes In Any Scenario

Discussion in 'Technical Reports' started by CamDownUnder, Oct 17, 2020.

1. CamDownUnder

CamDownUnder New Member

Hi all,

Over the past few weeks, I've encountered a problem where TS2021 crashes and the computer re-boots after a few minutes in a scenario. Sometimes it's after 1-2 minutes and other times it's after 5-10 minutes.

So far I've done;
    1. A complete re-install - to no avail
    2. Took my computer down to where I bought it from a few years back. They couldn't find any issues apart from some of the motherboard drivers needing a few updates which they did. THe also did a number of stress tests on the computer, running it at higher levels than TS and didn't re-boot. Tried game again, no change.
    3. Decided to do a clean boot as well as a 2nd complete reinstall, game still crashes and re-boots computer.

After number 3, I've lowered some of the settings in game as well as turned off RWEnhancer, but still no change.

Computer specs are fine when you compare to the recommended requirements for TS2021 (not the minimum req.)

Just wondering if anyone has encountered this in the past and know of any possible fixes to try?

2. Peter Hayes

Peter Hayes Well-Known Member

Any message in View Reliability History at the crash time?
    What do you mean by "a complete reinstall" - just re-installing over a previous version may not fix the issue!
    For instance it will not remove a "corrupt workshop scenario", which could be the cause of your problem.
    Have you tried moving the railworks folder to somewhere safe - then carrying out a fresh install - does TS run OK?
    Now add any 3rd party routes, assets, WS scenarios (one by one preferable) making sure that the add on does not crash TS.
    Have you run the windows diagnostic tests - sfc /scannow, DISM, DxDiag, Chkdsk/f/r, etc? Google.
    Video card drivers up to date?
    Overheating by cpu/gpu - (probably ruled out by the overhaul you describe above)?
    AV settings OK for Steam and TS?
    Running the monitor in TS at the Windows recommended resolution?
    Running Monitor in Windowed/Borderless mode sometimes helps.
    Just a few to try - more to come LOL!

3. CamDownUnder

CamDownUnder New Member

Thanks for the suggestions.

In regards to the re-install, I did it as per DTG's instructions here: https://dovetailgames.kayako.com/Kn...re-install-train-simulator-or-train-sim-world

I've now removed all workshop scenarios from within the game, and haven't installed any third party content just yet under the current installation.

Nothing comes up in a dxdiag test and as far as I believe video card drivers are up to date as they were checked by the technician who checked the computer out the other day.

AV settings and screen resolutions haven't caused an issue since I purchased the computer and operating on 1680 x 1050 resolution.

Windowed and borderless both tried too to no avail.

4. mike370

mike370 Active Member

Is this a new problem for you under TS2021 ie. was your TS2020 install stable? I'll come back to this point, if the trouble only began after the annual update to TS2021.

But first, have you actually truly removed all the workshop scenarios? By this I mean properly unsubscribed from all Steam workshop items (via Steam settings, rather than trying to delete in-game). You really have to make sure they are properly gone from your install, or you can still inadvertently end up with such scenarios ending-up back in a fresh game reinstall. Unfortunately WS scenarios can call cause all sorts of mayhem corrupting the game - so a sporting chance this could be cause of your problems. Were you subscribed to many?

Failing that I have found in the past (when all else has failed e.g. after trying Steam TS20xx game reverifications, full game reinstall etc, making sure no 3rd party contents and/or mods to blame for game instability etc..), that sometimes nothing but a clean reinstall of the STEAM platform itself will sort the problem out. I had the same glitch as you (just couldn't stop TS from crashing no matter what I did) after several annual updates of TS20xx (if I remember correctly both TS2015 & TS2016) - both annual upgrades just permanently broke my game. I could never find out why. The solution was quite drastic in having to do a clean STEAM reinstall. I appreciate a nightmare for any big gamer that plays many games. But if you have a small number of games and/or TS2021 is very important to you - well it might just be worth considering. Though, I'm afraid no guarantees - as everyone's PC setup pretty unique.

I have the greatest of sympathy for you, I know first hand how very frustrating the position you find yourself in is. I so wish you well getting to the bottom of the problem, & hopefully back up and running again soon.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
  5. Peter Hayes

Peter Hayes Well-Known Member

This is the only way that I know to ensure that workshop scenarios have been removed from your system:
    NB: Verifying the game files won't fix a WS scenario problem, or remove them from your system.
    Open Steam and highlight Train Simulator.
    Click on The Workshop Tab
    Click Browse then Subscribed items.
    Individually unsubscribe each scenario or choose Unsubscribe all to get rid of the lot.
    Just because you have unsubscribed WS scenarios via STEAM does not mean that they have been removed from your computer. Invest in the FREE TS-Tools and remove them route by route - they are colour coded - blue.
    Additional method to check:
    To delete all WS scenarios from your computer, navigate to \STEAM\steamapps\workshop\content\24010 and delete every file and sub-folder in that folder. DO NOT DELETE the \24010 folder itself (If you want to keep any or all scenarios then copy the contents first to a safe place before deleting the files and then reinstall once your error is fixed.
    Once you have done that you need to close TS delete/rename the following files:
    navigate to:
    \STEAM\steamapps\common\RailWorks\Content and delete/rename the following 2 files:
    SDBCache.bin;
    SDBCache.bin.MD5;
    Restart steam and TS
    If not to do with WS scenarios - ignore this!

6. CamDownUnder

CamDownUnder New Member

Have tried this today and after completely re-installing steam, and then TS2021 (minus workshop content), it still hasn't changed anything.

Feeling like there has to be something wrong with the computer that myself or the computer technician have completely missed.

By the way, my graphics card is a GTX 980, which DTG says as per their recommended requirements is enough, could this be an issue?

7. mike370

mike370 Active Member

I'm sorry to hear you're still having grief, after full clean reinstall. Really frustrating for you. No, your GPU should be absoutely fine to run the game at fairly high settings. If your machine is playing other games fine (especially modern ones), then I couldn't imagine it being a problem with the computer.

I hadn't checked DTG's min recommended specs for many years. Have just done so. 4GB RAM is a very low threshold, even if playing 32bit.

Which made me think, we should double check how much RAM in your own PC? And is it the 64bit version of the game you're using or the 32bit version?

8. CamDownUnder

CamDownUnder New Member

16GB RAM and running in 64-bit

9. mike370

mike370 Active Member

You should in theory be good to go! A toughie. I'm assuming this is happening all the time, with any route and/or scenario you're trying to play - including default vanilla DLC scenarios?

Glitched recent graphics card driver updates (or conversely running out of date Nvidia drivers) has occasionally been known to cause such shutdowns with the game. Is your card driver fully up to date? If not worth doing so. And if the opposite applies and a recent update of the driver has possibly coincided with your problems, perhaps look at rolling back the driver to an older version. Otherwise struggling to think want could be causing it.

Other potential variables (that you've probably considered & ruled out already), but will list just in case any one of them might apply:

1. Is your Windows O/S up to date?
    2. You haven't overclocked your cpu or RAM? And potentially unstable? No new RAM sticks recently installed?
    3. You've checked your antivirus s/w or similar not causing problems? (perhaps temporarily disable while you try the game).
    4. Are you running any other software/apps in the background?
    5. You've cleared the game's cache via in-game settings.
    6. Have you recently installed any new 3rd party mod and/or reskins recently installed? Especially general enhancement packs.
    7. Have you fully checked your PC for any potential malware/adware. Spyboot & Malwarebytes two very good freeware (basic versions) apps. And clear any unwanted temporary files & other such crap - Piriform's CCleaner very good at this.
    8. Does the problem happen if your internet is disconnected? i.e. either try running the game off-line Steam mode, or start game & temporarily disconnect the internet & see whether that makes any difference.
    9. You're not trying to play with overly high in-game graphics settings for your machine? i.e. if relatively high could experiment & try dialling them back.
    10. Are you playing with single screen or multi-screen? If multi, perhaps temporarily disable the other & try game without.
    10. Are you running any unusual monitor settings? And/or have you been playing around with Nvidia's 3D Settings in the Control Panel. If yes, perhaps reset to default & see if makes a difference.
    11. Have you had TS2021 running without problem in the past? If so, approx when did the problems begin. If not did you run TS2020 or earlier versions of the game ok.

Off the top of my head that's all the obvious factors I can think of that would possibly cause such a single game specific problem. So long as you followed Peter's instructions to permanently unsubscribe from all Steam Workshop subs (rather than trying to clear in-game; plus you fully deleted all the Railworks folders on your machine before reinstalling). Perhaps Peter has other ideas that might help. For now I wish you well experimenting, & hopefully getting to the bottom of the problem. Good luck - finger's crossed.