Choosing A Suitable Pc Help Require

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by SBos, Oct 20, 2020.

1. SBos

SBos Well-Known Member

Currently playing TSW2 on PlayStation but wondering if I’m missing out not having or playing it on PC.

Not being that technically minded and get so confused over the various options when looking, at say PC World website, can anybody offer some suitable advice that an idiot can understand as to what to purchase. Not too concerned about price more interested that I end up with something that can run the game well.

2. FeralKitty

FeralKitty Well-Known Member

If it runs well on your PlayStation and you are content, I’d say you’re not missing out. Use the money you’ve saved on upcoming DLC :)

3. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

I was playing on Xbox one x and frame stuttering. I got sick of dumbed down graphics and opted for pc. I’d buy as big as you can afford to future proof.

everything looks crisper, gauges, draw distances, lights, the works. I’m averaging about 120fps. It’s a much better experience on pc. Just read up before you buy.

2080ti
    I9 10900
    32gb ram

4. 7orenz

7orenz Well-Known Member

$250 vs $3000 and everything looks better? I have not doubt about it! :D

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
    • Like Like x 5
  5. Tomas9970

Tomas9970 Well-Known Member

First things first I think this is the website you are looking for. Otherwise I'll just write how I feel about things.

CPU: For a sim-playing computer, a powerful CPU should be quite a big priority because these kinds of games generally need a lot of raw processing power and having a weak CPU will cause stuttering. There's no need to go over the top (like Threadripper range) but it also shouldn't be on the side of things. I would personally pick an AMD Ryzen 3600, 3700 or something similar from the upcoming 5000 series lineup if you are willing to wait. Reason for AMD over Intel is, their CPUs are now superior in almost all aspects (technology, price to performance, power usage, future proofing, etc.).

Motherboard: I would not worry too much about that if you are not planning to toy out with your system. Just pick a basic B450 or B550 motherboard from a reputable manufacturer. Support for at least 3200 MHz memory is pretty important as well as memory size limit of 32 GB or more. Four or more memory slots is something to look for for future upgrades but it's not anything essential.

RAM: It's well known that Ryzen CPUs benefit from high memory speeds so, 3200 MHz memory clock is what you should go for. As for the size, 32 GB is a gold standard to go for but 16 GB should also work pretty fine. Also you want two sticks to reach your desired capacity (2x8 GB or 2x16 GB memory sticks) because of dual-channel, which further improves memory speed. If you have four slots on your motherboard, use only two of them and leave the other two for future proofing (to add some more RAM later if you wish).

GPU: Not really knowledgeable in this area so I'll leave this side of things for others to explain.

Hard drive: I really like "Western Digital" drives. Just pick WD blue or black with desired capacity for long-term storage. Hard drives are also really cheap so you can just buy and plug in another one if you run out of space or want to really dedicate storage to something. Many people have a special hard drive (or a special SSD) dedicated to storing an ever-growing game like TSW just so they don't have to worry about it eating space needed for other things when they install a new add-on and stuff.

SSD: Again, havent dealt with that too much because I think good modern hard drives are pretty fast if you take care of them. Will leave this for someone else to clear out. Drive speed is also something that will have a major impact on overall experience.

Power supply: Just pick one from a reputable brand with decend wattage (600W+, 750W+ if you want to be really sure). There's absolutely no need to go crazy on this (like 1000+ Watts).

I hope I haven't made any major mistakes because it's quite late in the evening as I'm writing this. Also this is all from kind of an enthusiastic perspective. From someone who really likes computers and who can really mess with his own to great extent.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. mattdsoares

mattdsoares Well-Known Member

Right this moment is actually a poor time to build a new PC due to the situation with Graphics Cards. The new Nvidia RTX 3000 series are significantly better performance than the previous generation 2000 series at significantly lower prices. However the 3000 series are also impossible to get at the moment and probably will be until the new year. AMD is also going to be coming out with their new Big Navi line very very soon that should also also better price to performance ratio than the current generation.

It's worth waiting a bit until Big Navi or until the RTX 3000 series starts to actually be realistically available. Buying the previous generation right now is not very smart. For example. Last gen's Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti cost around $1,200 (and still does). The new RTX 3080 has about 20% greater performance but at a price of $799. The new RTX 3070 has the same level of performance as the RTX 2080 Ti, but instead of being $1,200 it is $499. Buying a 2000 series gpu right now is basically burning money.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Quentin

Quentin Well-Known Member

Matt's GPU prices seem on the high side - I paid £400 for an RTX 2070 in July. General tip is (as with wine ) don't buy the most expensive one on the list. My RTX 2070 runs 4k Ultra at 40-60fps (which is the max my screen will support over HDMI2) - I can't see much benefit to higher frame rates in sims, maybe for first person shooters ... The only area where I'd disagree with Tomas is SSD, which is a must-have for me, much better performance than spinning rust (but less capacity).

• Like Like x 1
  8. ajwilson1889

ajwilson1889 Active Member

As an indicator, Acer Nitro 5 Laptop, i7 10th gen, 16GB Ram, 1660ti 6 GB RAM, 512 SSD, runs all setting maxed out, 60FPS, no stutter. PC cost £899

• Like Like x 1
  9. Winzarten

Winzarten Well-Known Member

I will second mattdsoares
    Honestly this is a bad time to be buying a new PC. The main issue is GPU, the 3000 series for Nvidia was recently released, with high performance gains over previous generations, which was altogether quite lackluster. So buying a 2000 series for a new PC doesn't really make sense. The problem is that this was definitely a soft launch, and there is insane shortage of these cards, and most likely it will remain until the end of the year.

In the CPU front Zen 3 is about to be released, and so far it looks like the first AMD CPU (in a long time) to abe able to dethrone Intel as the best gaming CPU, for less money.

• Like Like x 1
  10. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

To add to your confusion do buy a solid state hard drive as your primary drive.
    Sims are constantly loading assets so you need the fastest drive possible to avoid stutters.
    Also make sure it has a lot of storage, at least 500gb or more if possible.
    It's surprising how much space DLC take up.
    On a new pc with windows10, a few apps and just TSW2 plus dlc I've already used 300gb and I'll be adding more preserved collection tomorrow.

Allied with the above if you have the chance to choose your motherboard, make sure it has an M2 connection as it will allow the new breed of SSDs to plug directly onto it without cables, for more speed.

11. mattdsoares

I was referring more to the higher end 2080 and company when I gave my prices. A 2080 TI unfortunately does cost $1200 US or thereabout depending on which third party you go with. While the OP could go and get an RTX 2070 for 400 quid as you did, they could also wait 2-3 months and get an RTX 3070 for the same price which will absolutely blow the 2070 out of the water. Personal choice, and myself would get excited and find it difficult to wait!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Quentin

Quentin Well-Known Member

One thing I've learnt in 40 years of using PCs (and buying them for major corporations), is that there'll always be something newer/cheaper/better in 3 months' time. I'm sure a 3070 will do things my 2070 can't, I'm also sure that you'll detect no difference in how it runs the current game - maybe when TSW3 comes out :) And when the 3070 is readily available, you'll be able to pick up a 2070 for chump change.

• Like Like x 1
  13. mattdsoares

Perhaps, but this generation is quite different though in the massive jump in performance paired with even more massive drops in prices for the performance. We've never seen both of those to this extreme. Again, the new 3070 for $499 has equivalent performance to the 2080Ti from only two years ago that costs $1200. You bought yours in July, well before anyone knew anything about the pricing or performance of the 3000 series, so no doubt you made the best choice for you at the time. However things are a little different at the moment.

• Like Like x 2
  14. bsrdj

bsrdj Member

15. bsrdj

bsrdj Member

I have the same as you -evga 2080ti-i9 10900k 32gb ram 2tb ssd 4k get mid 80s fps. tsw looks so much better on pc