Simrail 2021 Vs Tsw2

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by arapajoe3, Oct 13, 2020.

1. arapajoe3

arapajoe3 Active Member

It seems that SimRail 2021 will allow the creation of routes with an SDK and also they will not only focus on Poland but also on other parts of the world, not to mention that it will have a multiplayer for what they said. What people expected with development tools in TSW2 suddenly comes with this new game. I think DTG is going to have a strong competitor ...
    by the way I have seen that it is an adaptation to a game of a real simulator for real drivers with realistic physics called SimRail (SimKol in Polish) so this game is going to give a lot to talk about and for what it seems it looks very good, take a look:
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXbGVTdbDlE

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
    • Like Like x 20
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. jeanmarc094

jeanmarc094 Well-Known Member

just watched it. interesting

• Like Like x 1
  3. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

I am afraid I cannot afford to buy this one. It also may be a bit boring only to drive modern trains.
    By the way, I think most railway companies will have simulation facilities to train the crews.

• Like Like x 1
  4. DTG Protagonist

DTG Protagonist Has left the building Staff Member

How are we not COMMUNICATING with the COMMUNITY?

As an aside, go easy on these guys. What they've shown so far looks very promising, and their inclusion of an SDK is pretty exciting, but don't base your expectations of what you think or expect it'll do. It's almost certainly going to have a few teething problems (no software survives first contact with the users) so give them a chance to prove themselves.

You might also want to check the latest Trans-Siberian Railway Sim video detailing cold starting - it looks properly in depth.

It'll be exciting to see what both these titles bring to the party.

• Like Like x 34
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  5. maxipolo12

maxipolo12 Well-Known Member

Good bye !

• Like Like x 1
  6. montes_1234

montes_1234 Well-Known Member

I would suggest that DTG look at that other two games and start learning and implementing some new things. I wish all the best to TSW and want for it to succeed because it has potential. Good thing lately is the new way of communicating, but please listen more and by that I mean hear.

• Like Like x 8
  7. a.paice

a.paice Well-Known Member

I think that’s a little unfair. With the forums, streams, roadmap etc I think they have tried to be as involved with the community as much as possible.
    I’ve only been playing for a year so maybe DTG were worse before but I certainly have no complaints about their community engagement.

Maybe both games can take the best parts from each other for mutual improvement- a rising tide lifts all boats!

• Like Like x 20
  8. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Agreed, they have made a big effort communicating over the last few months, however some will never be satisfied.

The more choice of simulators, the better for all of us. I will take a look at this new one when some content I am interested in appears. I currently have three simulators installed, a fourth won't hurt!

• Like Like x 12
  9. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

I look forward to alternative train sims.
    Competition is always good. It’s never either/or.
    If they are of any interest I’ll buy them.
    Pretty much like flight sims. From Falcon, F15, Hornet, Total Air War, X plane, Ms Flight Sim etc..
    I’m really looking forward to the new Javelin route as I know it well.
    There is no way Dtg should feel threatened other routes as they only serve to encourage and expand the fan base.

• Like Like x 6
  10. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

The promo video certainly looks good but doesn’t any promo video? I’ll wait until there’s some proper gameplay action in order to see how good it is but looks good nonetheless. Also, as mentioned, competition is always a good thing, for everyone.

• Like Like x 9
  11. DTG Protagonist

We completely agree.

• Like Like x 29
  12. ZeenozPlays

ZeenozPlays Well-Known Member

Competing with Rivet?

13. ZeenozPlays

Sorry, I was going off of you’re guy’s old tactics. Also, resorting to “if it’s not on the roadmap...” each time a question comes up isn’t the best way to interact with the community.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
    • Like Like x 5
  14. longo239

longo239 Well-Known Member

Rivet is almost a subsidiary of DTG.

• Like Like x 2
  15. ZeenozPlays

Almost. Not really though, yes they have some of the old DTG employees, but they’re a totally different company. It would be funny to see some sort of friendly rivalry between DTG & Rivet to see who can make the better routes/Locos. Best thing for us is, it will almost guarantee the best quality from both.

16. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Tomorrow we will see :D

17. mattdsoares

mattdsoares Well-Known Member

I've been openly critical of a lot of what DTG is and has done, but this is, IMO, very unfair. We can complain about quality control issues, decisions that have been made, direction of a title. However communication is really not a problem at this point. Sam especially is very active in the forums, there is the discord, and multiple live streams every week with Sam, Matt, and others where they take and respond to questions.

Just because you don't like the answer, doesn't mean they're not communicating. Because let's be real here. What you want is to ask a question about whatever topic and have them give you a concrete promise of what will be done a year and a half from now, which is absurd. No one does that, in any game, and community. The roadmap was created because in the past, DTG tried to give answers to those questions and ended up overpromising or seemingly committing to something that as time went on become unfeasible and was absolutely devoured by the community. So there is the roadmap. I mean, what do you want??? If they're actively working on something or it's in the planning stages, it's on the roadmap. If it isn't on the roadmap then there has been no decision made as to whether a certain feature or want will be implemented. Would you rather have them say, "We haven't committed to doing X" instead of, "It's not on the roadmap"? Because those are the same answers.

Ultimately, I think you're being very unreasonable.

• Like Like x 32
  18. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

I don't know, personally I have doubts about this game. It might surprise me later, but for now I'm not impressed. Looks like just a bunch of assets thrown together in a game engine with pretty graphics, but the whole thing feels off to me.

But who knows, I guess we will see in a year. If it really ends up a proper train simulator, that's just great news.

• Like Like x 2
  19. longo239

Are you talking about SimRail or TSW2? :cool:

• Like Like x 4
  20. jeanmarc094

jeanmarc094 Well-Known Member

simrail

• Like Like x 1
  21. longo239

You assume.

Maybe we should wait for Dinosbacsi to clarify. Could have been referring to either.

22. Pit

Pit Member

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  23. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

Obviously I was talking about SimRail. While Train Sim World does have it's fair share of problems, it still feels much more complete and like a real product. SimRail currently does not give me this feeling. It feels like a mobile game on the Google Play store.

• Like Like x 2
  24. Scorpion71

Scorpion71 Well-Known Member

Meh, not seeing any working PIS on that SimRail

• Like Like x 2
  25. mattdsoares

In its defense...that's their first preview trailer for a game not coming out until late 2021. Let's be reasonable.

• Like Like x 5
  26. praxidike.meng

praxidike.meng Well-Known Member

I don't necessarily see these two games competing with each other. SimRail seems to be focused on Polish railways, which will nicely complement DTG's usual USA-GER-GB locations. Definitely looking forward to this, as there can never be too much train simulators.

• Like Like x 6
  27. JGRudnick

JGRudnick Well-Known Member

I'm going to wait for some NA content before I buy the game. Otherwise I personally will get bored with it very quickly.

• Like Like x 3
  28. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Same, no interest outside of North America or Japan, so this is a no buy for me till that happens.

• Like Like x 3
  29. philbeharall

philbeharall New Member

Looking forward to SimRail 2021

• Like Like x 5
  30. eire007

eire007 Active Member

“If it’s not on the road map” what would you prefer they say? Hahahaha “if it’s not on the roadmap” will be DTG new logo hahahahaha it’s funny but at the same time it’s true.

*cinema narrators voice* “Dovetail games, if it’s not on the road map, it’s just not happening”

• Like Like x 5
  31. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

Some serious competition would definitely be good for all of us, including DTG. Looking forward to see what they really have to offer.

• Like Like x 6
  32. 37114

37114 Active Member

Bit of a change of opinion. I posted on your Steam TS forum about 6 years ago about the then-upcoming iteration of Trainz. I did so out of interest for the community and also to let you guys know about it (trying to do you a favour). The response: I got a lifetime ban from your Steam TS forums and accused of promoting third-party software. One, that's bang out of order and still hasn't been lifted and two I wasn't promoting it and I'm not associated with them! Think you can have a look into putting this wrong right for me? Ta.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  33. DTG Protagonist

Tricky, but I can look into it. PM me your steam account details and I'll see what I can do.

For reference, you're free to discuss the merits of other related games (within reason - you know where the line is, if you don't, it will be pointed out to you). Pretending that other games don't exist just makes you look foolish.

• Like Like x 7
  34. 37114

37114 Active Member

Will do. Thank you.

35. mattdsoares

• Like Like x 4
  36. martschuffing

martschuffing Well-Known Member

Let's not get too excited with Simrail just yet, when Devs use terms like"realistic physics" doesn't mean they are "accurate" physics!

But I do look forward with enthusiasm to this new sim, the promo "looks" gorgeous.

• Like Like x 2
  37. trainsimcz

trainsimcz Well-Known Member

The Devs are very experienced with physics as they made simulators for real drivers.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  38. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

So did/do the developers of Zusi 3 - Aerosoft released a consumer version of the commercial simulation. While it is a very realistic simulator, it has not gained a large market share because of the difficulty and steep learning curve.

Same with Run8 which is touted for its realistic physics, prototypical operations and multi-player with live dispatchers and both cooperative crews (engineer and conductor) and independent running, strong industries supplying the prototypical operations. Again the steep learning curve turns many off.

So just because the developers have made commercial simulators does not mean they can take those talents to be able to develop a consumer simulation for the masses. Don’t get me wrong, I hope SimRail does a good job in developing their simulation for the masses, but the proof will be in the product and not on their past endeavors.

• Like Like x 8
  39. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Zusi 3 biggest hurdle is the language barrier as I've heard the English translation is not 100% complete and apparently it doesn't play nice with 4K screens - tiny fixed font, the same issue FSX and FSX SE suffer from.

Run 8 is great and can't be beaten in terms of distance - with the US$ to UK£ rate currently quite favourable, I just added the Cajon and San Bernardino subs which means I can drive all the way from LA to Seligman (some 400 miles) plus all the offshoots including Tehachapi. Nothing else comes close in terms of route mileage. However despite the excellence, after experiencing TSW2 the cabs in Run 8 are starting to look very dated and while the physics are good... instant brake release on a 2000ft train in Senior Hog Mode...? Run 8 also imposes the burden of despatcher unless you go multiplayer and while there is a car forwarding system the AI is very rudimentary and there are no over-arching scenarios or goals.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  40. trainsimcz

trainsimcz Well-Known Member

Well it dont turn me off, thats what i call simulator, you need to learn and not hit just 4 keys and drive. Back in the days MSFS got huge manual how to fly. Even other games were more difficult than now and nobody complains ... now if you dont have popups with which key to press and where to go, what to do, then most of the users are completely lost. So i hope that SimRail 2021 will deliver proper simulator and not some arcade game.

• Like Like x 5
  41. Averrnor

Averrnor Member

Well, here is another sim worth to try. It is free, made by enthusiasts, but it has only polish rolling stock.

https://eu07.pl/?setlang=en

Luckily, site is multi language and there is english version of the simulator as far as I know.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
  42. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

The steep learning curve is what put me off at OMSI2. Refunded it because I couldn't get past the tutorial.

Just because something is realistic doesn't mean it needs a steep learning curve. I think TSW2 is doing things pretty fine. More competition is always good for the customer though. Looking forward to see any other simulators being developed. :)

• Like Like x 6
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  43. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

I run both Zusi 3 and Run 8 - thoroughly enjoy both, but from a commercial point of view, would not call either blockbusters. Hard core simulators are definitely a market, one that doesn’t appeal to the widest of audiences. Variety is the spice of life as they say.

• Like Like x 1
  44. pugilist3

pugilist3 Active Member

Sadly, a no buy for me as well without North American content! Let's hope it gets added.

• Like Like x 1
  45. martschuffing

martschuffing Well-Known Member

Personally, I'll be one that's happy to see content that isn't American British, or German!

• Like Like x 3
  46. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

I plan on buying Simrail 2021

• Like Like x 2
  47. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

This is so true. DTG should explore outside of these 3 countries considerably more.

• Like Like x 3
  48. tallboy7648

I agree but of course that's if they can get licensing

49. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Don't blame licensing. In a recent video with Rivet talking to ChrisTrains, ChrisTrains said the Polish railway company were glad to give him permission to use their logos. There's also been plenty of third-party content with the logo of the Dutch railway company, including one Train Simulator DLC which DTG published on steam (so, according to their own policy, they already have that license). The same applies to Austrian and Swiss railway companies which already have their logos in Train Simulator content. DTG also have the license for the French railway company with their upcoming LGV route. They have the license for Railion, which operates in multiple countries.

While some companies may not like to sign a license deal, I'm pretty confident there's plenty of companies who are willing to sign a deal. Licensing is not the reason DTG has a tunnel vision on UK/US/DE content.

• Like Like x 4
  50. tallboy7648

I hope more companies will get on board