PlayStation Does Ps5 Dev Kit Increase Performance In Boost Mode

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Samo1, Oct 22, 2020.

1. Samo1

Samo1 Well-Known Member

Can DTG confirm they have a PS5 dev kit and what performance changes if any are you seeing using existing routes on it? Thanks.

2. Knightfire1964

Knightfire1964 Well-Known Member

maybe wrong but in stream not long ago they said they still haven't received any dev kits for either next gen consoles

• Like Like x 2
  3. Bob12212

Bob12212 Well-Known Member

Yeah said they'd devote some time on a future stream, once they have something to announce.

4. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Can be seen as speculation, but the fact DTG have a dev PS5 and HMA has come out with all these tracks, high speed and variety of trains. My guess would be the PS5 is performing as a decent PC would.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Dinger75

Dinger75 Well-Known Member

They did confirm in a livestream that they had the dev kits. However from my understanding games have to be patched to make use of the boost mode. This is because unlike the PS4 pro which was just an advanced PS4, the PS5 is a different beast altogether and has to mimic the PS4 models by adjusting clock speeds etc (ghost of tsushima will have an menu option to use PS5 boost).

• Like Like x 2
  6. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

HMA is a route for TSW2 which us released as a PS4 game and therefore has to work on PS4. They can’t make a route specifically to run well only on PS5. To do that they would need to release TSW2 as a PS5 game and release the route only for that. If they have a PS5 dev kit it should only be used for checking backwards compatibility for PS4 titles, not how much extra content they can squeeze into a route for it. When they release a game specifically for PS5 that’s when they can go nuts on content.

• Like Like x 2
  7. matthewbguilford

matthewbguilford Well-Known Member

In all fairness the route does work on PS4. I think he was just saying that this route on PS5 could obviously perform better.

• Like Like x 3
  8. flickyhecky

flickyhecky Active Member

PS5 should eliminate those long loading screens.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

After 2 days of running this route with layers enabled. Its easily the best scenic and traffic rich dlc TSW has produced to date. I thoroughly recommend it.
    The base route is a requirement that must work on all platforms. The layers are a bonus. My point is that the next gen consoles will be able to carry the baton with PC

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  10. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

If only the base route was required to run on all platforms then only the base route would be available for console versions of the game (like the temporary situation with HMA now). That goes against DTG’s own policy of parity between platforms. If PS4 versions do only come with the base layers, then that’s all players running it on a PS5 will get as well. The other layers aren’t a bonus though, they are part of the route as designed. You require other DLC to enable them but they are part of the route and should run to an acceptable level on PS4 without having to have a PS5 to make it work well.

When DTG release a PS5 train simulator then it may leapfrog PC for a while but until they do they have to develop all content to work properly on PS4 and the lowest spec xbox, all route layers included. That is indeed DTG’s intent, which is why they are trying to sort it out now and why the other layers are temporarily locked out.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Bob12212

It seems a little odd that they would develop a route will all that complexity, then worry about how to make it work. Obviously I no nothing about creating games, but wouldn't it have made their life more simple to solve that problem before releasing the route. Even if the route was delayed and they released another less demanding route first, to buy them some time.

12. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

They probably have some parameters which they work within when building a route with regards to the amount of stuff they can squeeze in, and they have probably overestimated what TSW2 can do as it stands now. It’s revealed a little bit about how things are done, as it appears the route was all done and dusted, then they tested on consoles at that point and found it was too much. Optimisation needs improving across the board but as it works quite well on PC they haven’t delayed the release of this route. It doesn’t surprise me that issues on console are found too late to rectify for release. There’s obviously some kind of automation in the process of porting to consoles that happens late in the development, and has little human intervention. That’s why things come out with console specific problems so often. It’s not such a good idea to chance it with the vast majority of players, just to please the PC players. They are all drooling over this route over on the PC forum, all (estimated) 10% of the player base. Lucky them.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  13. Bob12212

Yeah, I remember in the earlier days, console release would be sometimes up to two or three weeks later than PC. I'm sure they have changed the release date to coincide with the best intentions. But like you say, it seems to leave little room for console testing, let alone fix any issues. Look at the ps4 textures on iow for example (not a direct dig at Rivet, just that the route is freshest in my mind)

• Like Like x 2
  14. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Im drooling over this route on my launch version PS4. It works fine. Even with the layers. Got to understand if you want 30 fps avg through a place like Munich. After DTG work their magic with reduced track memory etc. The route either needs downgrading (no way anyone wants that). Or you/we need a system upgrade.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  15. matthewbguilford

I would like to think when the PS5 comes out, you can launch TSW2 as is and it will see some benefits like frame rate and faster loading screens. I am assuming in order to achieve things such as faster loading of the environment as well as it being more seamless. I also wonder if PS5 will give us an increase to the amount of freight wagons on console so it is on par with PC. I’m not of the amount of work that would have to go into making this happen but I do see this as a chance for DTG to use the potential power of the new consoles.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

They wont confirm it as PS5 isnt released yet. We do know they have a dev kit. Its a safe bet imo. Not only will it stand up to a decent PC. The Playstation seem to work well with TSW. Just have to see what DTG have got out of the most basic Sony consoles thus far.

• Like Like x 1
  17. jurgen.hendrikse

jurgen.hendrikse New Member

Do we know for sure that TSW2 will run on the new PS5?

18. matthewbguilford

Yes. Sony has listed 10 PS4 games that won’t work on PS5 and TSW or TSW2 isn’t one of them. This has been added to every PS4 game that will work on PS5. E686029C-35B0-4F5D-847A-480F224FF313.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  19. jurgen.hendrikse

jurgen.hendrikse New Member

Thanks for the info