Lzb On The S-bahn In Hma?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by nielsmallant100, Oct 22, 2020.

1. nielsmallant100

nielsmallant100 Well-Known Member

I heard Matt mention in a stream that a part of the S-Bahn tracks have LZB on them, and that the 423 supports LZB. But I haven't seen him or anyone actually use it, so it makes me wonder if it really does work.

• Like Like x 1
  2. jeanmarc094

jeanmarc094 Well-Known Member

it works. just played earlier

3. KyleL

KyleL Well-Known Member

Well he did use it on Tuesday. It isn't something special really from what I can see. It's at the very start of the stream well not very Go to about 17:40 minutes in the stream

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
  4. ZeenozPlays

ZeenozPlays Well-Known Member

It’s like CBTC on steroids, trains run extremely close together.

• Like Like x 1
  5. nielsmallant100

That's actually incorrect, this is more like ETCS Level 1. Yes, it is in-cab signalling, and yes it does make you follow a braking curve. But it still works in signal blocks, it's not dynamic. LZB just allows higher speeds, not more capacity perse. If it were like ETCS Level 3 it would really allow trains to run close together, they have done tests on the Press. Bahn in Germany of 2 trains running like 50 meters apart at a slow speed.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Class395

Class395 Active Member

It's a different type of LZB then the one on ICE trains. LZB per definition is not fixed blocked signalling. The whole point of LZB is for it to be moving block thus allowing trains to run either higher speeds or closer together. It's not uncommon in Munich to see a S4 train departing as an S2 train is pulling into the platform.

• Like Like x 1
  7. nielsmallant100

well that is because the blocks have been cut down in to sign signals around Munich as well as other cities. Doesn't change how LZB works, just means the blocks are so close together that it has a better effect.