Isle Of Wight First Impressions

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Dinosbacsi, Oct 15, 2020.

1. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

Gone through the introduciton tutorial and the first scenario, I have to say so far I'm happy. It looks well made, the trackside scenery and detail is beautiful, and the whole route feels lovely.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The sounds are also nice, I really like the distinctive claks and thuds it makes as it runs along the rails. Though the motor sounds seem to be reused from the Bakerlo Line stock, but I guess it's acceptable, they're pretty familiar units? Also one problem I noticed is that opening the windows or door doesn't change the in-cab sounds, hopefully this will be fixed later.

I think my bigges problem so far is that there is no cab sway at all while driving, the ride is completely smooth, which doesn't match the loud running sound it generates. There should be definitely more sway going on.

Also while the scenery close to the tracks is beautiful, this route also seems to suffer from bad distand scenery. Distand hills are empty and you can clearly see where built scenery ends. Some more effort into that would've been better. But up close I think it's really nice.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also bonus points for the fact that this is the first time the crouch option actually has a purpose in TSW, as the cab doors on the sides are really low, so you have to crouch to fit inside. Which I think is kinda fun and cute.

So overall I'm satisfied so far. Of course the route is short, but it's lovely and good for a 30 minutes drive.
    Most of the shortcomings in scenery seem to come from the core game itself, like the ugly distand hills and ugly distand water, but everything else seems really lovely. Your opinions?

• Like Like x 20
  2. Cyklisten

Cyklisten Well-Known Member

I'm satisfied with the route, but tried to keep my expectations and hopes rather low knowing the history of some other TSW DLC:s ;) Hopefully we can see the heritage line some day, right now we can only enjoy some ice cream at the station. I had some issues regarding the tutorial, especially the coupling part, until I realized that you need to climb down and couple manually... It's a pity that the timetable isn't more dense, only two trains every hour, but here we can't blame DTG or Rivet.

3. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

My first impressions are positive. A pretty route, nicely detailed and well modelled in the most part. The unit sounds right, I have never travelled on one but the track sounds sound right for underground stock. The unit itself seems well modelled.

On a more negative note, a two car set in Shanklin station sits too far up the platform which is a bug bear of mine. Like the two car 101's on NTP going right to the end of Huddersfield station platform which is totally unrealistic at such a large station.

I concur with comments regarding the distant hills, they are bare and are disappointing and why do we still not get decent reverberation sounds when going under bridges?

Overall a pleasant short route and for me worth £20, maybe could do with some minor blemishes clearing up. I hope they do fix the issues the console owners have encountered.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Trainmania100

Trainmania100 Well-Known Member

Thought that second pic in the first threadstarter post was actually real life

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

The route definitely looks better on PC. Not just better. Gorgeous.

• Like Like x 2
  6. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Is it possible to ride in winter? In the fall? Only summer everywhere. I am considering buying. Lighting in the late afternoon and weather conditions are, unfortunately, the basis for me. Can I have another nice screenshot, please? :D Autumn Drizzle maybe? thaaank Youuu

7. heyitspopcorn

heyitspopcorn Well-Known Member

I actually have to say, my initial impression is one of disappointment. I'm not sure what sounds you're hearing, because the motor sounds are... meh at best, and there are no sounds for the EP or Westinghouse brakes. (I will admit that the clickety-clack of the rails sounds GREAT, although it's strangely absent when you're going over an interlock.)

Destination boards can't be set or changed, so when you get into timetable mode, they're just... blank. AI doesn't turn its headlights on. There are no scheduled arrival/departure times for any of the stations in scenario or timetable mode. (Kind of defeats the whole idea of a 'timetable,' doesn't it?)

Even using shunting on Forward 1 (the lower power rate switch, like on the Bakerloo's 72 stock), you immediately get wheel slip. Every single time. Even in dry weather. Must be an issue with the adhesion system applied to the route.

The 38 stock itself is quite a nice model, and the route does generally look really nice on console, so it's a shame that some of the other things are lacking. I've requested a Steam refund, and we'll see if that gets processed.

I think for 25-35% off, this would be a great route. But given the current state of some of it, I don't think it was worth $22.50 (or whatever the pre-order price was).

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  8. mattdsoares

mattdsoares Well-Known Member

I'm playing on PC and just completed the first summer scenario. I think it's well done and despite the length, I enjoyed it. Then again, I also liked the Isle of Wight TS20xx route too. From a technical standpoint, everything worked well, sound was nice, train had lots of fun buttons and knobs working. So far so good.

Graphically it is a bit of a mixed bag. I should disclose that I do play with engine.ini edits to improve draw distance, shadows, foliage distance, etc, so this will look even better. I think the train itself is very well done with good, though not great textures and texture resolution. Thankfullly PC does not have the wonky train LOD issues PS4 is having at the moment, so lines are smooth and sweeping and there is a nice balance of poly-count and performance for the train.

The environment near the train is well done and looks natural and very pretty. You start to think...now THIS is why the move to UE4 was worth it. However, things quickly come back down to earth as Stations are a bit basic and bland and could do with more grit and detail. Scenery anywhere beyond the immediate trackside is TS20xx quality which is disappointing, but no different than anything we've seen from DTG so far. I'm really waiting for someone, be it DTG or a 3rd party to realize that that buildings don't need to be low res blocks anymore, and they can add a more detail in UE4 than they were in TS20xx. In some cases, scenery beyond the absolute immediate trackside is, dare I say, better or at least on par in the TS20xx IOW route (given the normal graphical and weather mods for the game) It just feels like they're still using old Kuju assets for anything other than right on the track.

The one thing that stands out as a major negative, however, is the water. It is quite appalling. That is probably the worst water any game has ever rendered in UE4. I hope Epic doesn't see or they might revoke DTGs license to the engine. It's truly that bad. I'd rather have TS20xx water. It's....well it's shockingly terrible. UE4 can do water very well, but it's like they didn't even bother trying.

I'm happy with the purchase and will enjoy the route, but am still waiting for someone to really start to make a route that truly looks like it was built in UE4 and takes advantage of what the engine can do. I think the general feeling I have after playing most TSW2 routes is that...they're just not very ambitious from a graphical perspective. As if the designers/devs are content to treat it like making a TS20xx route that takes advantage of higher res textures and the better lighting effects of UE4, rather than really try and make something that UE4 is capable of, and that would really justify the big move away from. Kuju. We were told that TSW was coming out and moving to UE4 because of all the engine could do beyond TS20xx...but other than rather basic visual effects, I'm just not seeing the devs really take advantage of UE4. TSW should feel like a revolution from TS20xx visually, but often it feels more like an iteration rather than innovation so far.

This may seem like a negative review, but it really isn't. It's a good, well made, enjoyable route that is worth the buy for folks who like British countryside routes. I just know they can do better. I know in 2020 UE4 can do far more on both PC and consoles, but the devs just aren't pushing the envelope at all. However it also shows that neither DTG nor the third parties yet have a real grasp of what they can do with the engine and are resorting to old TS20xx tricks rather than really move forward. It will be interesting to see what Rivet will do with the Arosa line, as it's going to require significantly more graphical detail, especially in the distance with its sweeping alpine panoramas.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
    • Like Like x 7
  9. mattdsoares

Destination boards are coming with the Munchen-Augsburg line, which is the next DLC route release. I think it's unfair to expect this third party route to take advantage of a destination board system that has not been released by DTG yet.

• Like Like x 1
  10. theorganist

One think I noticed whilst having a walk from Ryde Pier to St. John's is that the AI trains didn't have lights on.

• Like Like x 2
  11. heyitspopcorn

heyitspopcorn Well-Known Member

On the train, I mean. No destination cards/rollbands like you have on the 72 stock. Also, there are platform destination displays on the Bakerloo line, so the tech is there for it.

12. mattdsoares

Ok got, you. I misunderstood.

• Like Like x 1
  13. chrisrose1993

chrisrose1993 Member

Also to mention the track layout and gradients are wrong in places (Lake and Brading).

14. sequencer2k16

sequencer2k16 Well-Known Member

...omg, look at these tiny trains, soo rustic! :love:
    20201015224715_1.jpg
    I love the fact that i have to crouch to get inside the cab, or the drivers door is blocked when the seat is not retracted, really cool.
    How is forward 1 & 2 handled in real life? Throttle in idle position or can i switch at any time without damaging the train?

(For me) it is worth every cent and i like it very much, but there is still room for a few improvements.
    Thanks Rivet, now i want to visit the real one. Does anybody live there by any chance? :D

• Like Like x 2
  15. FeralKitty

FeralKitty Well-Known Member

I spent my first 80 minutes on Isle of Wight on foot, walking the line from Shanklin to the pier.

I enjoyed the route's scenery, as well as the ambient sounds. Walking through the Ryde Tunnel was a trip (although the oncoming train might have added to that thrill).

Missing one collectable, then I'll take my first ride!

• Like Like x 1
  16. 7orenz

7orenz Well-Known Member

Your second screen looks real!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Shaun123

Shaun123 Well-Known Member

That’s what I thought! Had to scroll back!

My first impressions are graphically it’s fantastic, running sounds of the 483 really good, but traction motor and compressor sounds on the quiet side.

The major letdown for me is the lack of a timetable, and for me that’s one of the most important things. I wonder is it because they were created in Scenario Designer and not a fuller version of the Editot?

Apart from that, I think Rivet have done a fantastic job!

• Like Like x 5
  18. theorganist

One other thing I meant to mention is that there was no reverberation or change of sound at all in Ryde tunnel, I imagine these old 483's would sound quite loud going through there. Unless it is a problem with my setup?

• Like Like x 1
  19. Mikeboy

Mikeboy Active Member

So problems encountered on the PC version:
    - No arrival times, in scenarios or timetable mode.
    - The use of point stops, rather than ones displaying carriages (the red to green thing) in both modes.
    - No animation for getting in the short cab doors, leading you to just clip through the roof.
    - Step out causes you to go to ground level, not the platform.
    - (which is bad combined with) no step up prompt for platforms.
    - What I believe is a hitbox issue leading you to be propelled into the ceiling crossing internal doors, this can cause you to be trapped if you're in a tunnel.
    - Coupling prompt only appearing when trains were jammed into each other to the point of clipping.
    - In scenario planner Ryde Pier Head's stopping point is more outside the platform than in it.
    - Walls don't stop prompts e.g. you can open a window through the cab wall

Now I have problems with the general level of accuracy and detail, which you'd expect to be better for such a short route, but the above that means even overlooking that, it's just not fun.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Dejin

Dejin New Member

I agree. Overall it’s a really nice route, but Dovetail really needs to work on TSW2’s ability to represent water. It looks horrible here, and it looks horrible on East Coastway.

When you’re driving a route that just passes over a river, you can kind of put up with the fact that the water doesn’t look great. But on both Isle of Wight and East Coastway, there are sections where you’re sitting by a large body of water and it just looks terribly fake, flat, and artificial.

It takes parts of the track that should be the nicest and most picturesque and makes it the worst parts of the line.

It really needs to either animate or be flat. It’s hard to say without seeing them side by side, but my impression is having waves which are uniform across the entire surface and which don’t move makes things look much worse than just if it looked like the water surface was completely flat. It’s possible the static waves might look better if it was less uniform.

In any case, what they’re doing now doesn’t work and is pretty immersion breaking. On East Coastway the only reason why I knew it was water was that there were boats sitting on it, otherwise it did not look particularly like real water. Here you know it’s water because you’re clearly on a pier, but it still looks pretty bad.

• Like Like x 2
  21. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

The water looks fine to me.

22. LucasLCC

LucasLCC Well-Known Member

On PC it seems to look good, and I think I'd be happy with my purchase. On console it just looks sad and meh. The draw distance is a huge issue, and it's a shame that they couldn't have increased it for this route, given it's much shorter and not as much is going on...

• Like Like x 1
  23. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

Given it is the first route Rivet creates, it does quite well what it should do. It looks reasonably well and I do not experience the issues some PS4 players report. The train is quite nice to drive and the handbrake is just awesome.
    I did one scenario using an evening drive, and then you can see some nice examples of illumination.

I did not yet try all possible gameplay, that will take a while, so I do not want to judge that.

It is OK, a bit expensive for what you get, but I am happy to have Rivet developing TSW routes and stock. Yes, I have some wishes and will tell them at their own forum. The main thing I would like to see is a feature that allows to place some stock at the heritage line and the possibility for depot drives with the scenario planner.

• Like Like x 5
  24. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

As a member of the Pc master race I like it.
    A pleasant bucolic meditation.
    Put on some Vaughan-Williams, centre yourself and breathe deeply.
    Such a pleasant change from the frenetic teutonic commuter activities.

The cab and vehicle modelling is excellent.
    A little too much foliage screening but I'm not a fan of Iow architecture anyway.
    Most obvious annoyance was the lack of head motion.
    The German trains have you rocking away but despite the ancient track the train glides on greased wheels without a tremor.

Perhaps a few gulls at the icecream and a distance view of Hampshire from the pier would help.
    I find I prefer it to the Bakerloo.
    Smells better too.

• Like Like x 1
  25. theorganist

I concur with the Vaughan-Williams suggestion, Howells and Finzi work well too!

• Like Like x 1
  26. Winzarten

Winzarten Well-Known Member

I've been playing a little bit with scenario planner on Isle of Wight, and I noticed one neat thing, as I was waiting for a green light just before Smallbrook Junction
    20201025111424_1.jpg
    The switch was switched to the sand trap, as it would be IRL (so if a train SPADs it would rather derail at the sand trap, than head-collide with the incomming traffic). It is just a small detail most won't notice, but I still very much like that it is there :)

• Like Like x 6
  27. BR125

BR125 Well-Known Member

I find the environmental texturing really really weak, like I really dont think theyre ready to tackle Arosa yet - especially platforms and the sea. Model of the 483 seems solid, sounds are meh, and the issues above with lack of headsway etc.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1