Action Points Shop

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Doomotron, Oct 25, 2020.

1. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

The console release of TSW brought up the issue of distributing mods. While on PC, the reskin community is already firing on all cylinders, the console community can't because of issues out of DTG's control. SainsburysVan suggested releasing paid livery packs for TSW2, but I think I have a much better alternative that increases the game's replayability and doesn't charge for stuff that is usually free.

When we complete scenarios and services, we acquire Action Points, which go towards nothing. Gold, silver and bronze medals are not very interesting and, in the end, have no impact on our gameplay experience. It's a similar issue in Train Simulator, where career mode points mean nothing - it's why I always have career scoring disabled. What if our Action Points could be used to improve our experience?

And that's where my idea for a shop came from. Third party reskins often allow non-prototypical, fictional or simply outdated liveries to be applied to trains, so what if we could 'buy' (with Action Points, not money) minor liveries to use in scenarios, services and custom scenarios? I've made a concept for the menu here:
    tswactionstorephoto.png

Obviously, it probably would look a lot better if I hadn't made it. The prices also haven't been finalised (in the image the Class 142 and one on the end - a Class 90 in SNCB livery - haven't got prices because I forgot about them, but they are 1000 and 1500 Action Points, respectively), so they may have to be changed.

I think this is also a good replacement for the brain-numbing Mastery system that never worked and very few people actually liked. All the content that could be earned in TSW1 from Mastery could easily be added here and, this time, people would actually be able to get them. My idea for content and prices are:
    • Train liveries - real life liveries that are outdated for the route the train is included in: 1000AP
    • Train liveries - real life liveries that are non-prototypical for the route the train is included in: 750AP
    • Tran liveries - fictional liveries or liveries that are not usually on the train: 500AP
    • Train liveries - rare, one-off liveries: 1100-1300AP
    • Assets - for aspirational route editor: 250-600AP
    • Menu backgrounds: 400AP
    • Extra scenery in routes: 250AP
    In the image you can also see a reference to 'buying' scenarios. Early on in Train Simulator's life, there were lots of scenarios that were very imaginative; much more so than today's scenarios, which often are simply point a - point b services. I was thinking that various non-prototypical scenarios could be purchased with Action Points. I have some ideas, ranging from driving a freight service using two back-to-back buffered HSTs to driving a modern train on an old route as a 'what if?' scenario (like those scenarios on Bath to Templecombe in Train Simulator where you'd drive a Class 66 or 170 on the route in an alternate universe where the line had stayed open.

• Like Like x 4
  2. 4-COR

4-COR Well-Known Member

If this were to be implemented, then those prices would be a bit too chap, as you can earn 20k+ points in a single run

3. Tomas9970

Tomas9970 Well-Known Member

I feel like whatever content is available should be available right away without any unlocking system. Sims are about what you learn and do, not about what you earn from it.

Mastery rewards are nice because they aren't something that would expand your experience. As a result, you don't really feel like you are missing something.

• Like Like x 3
  4. SainsburysVan

SainsburysVan New Member

I like this idea, I just think DTG wouldn't do this because licensing costs money and action points aren't worth anything but the looks.

5. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

I haven't played TSW for ages so I'm not sure about the prices. I think that a good run (an on-time run along the whole length of a route) should be able to get you one livery, but my opinion on that will probably change.

6. muham.a.423

muham.a.423 Active Member

This would be wonderful and really cool! As said before, the prices could be adjusted but this could really address people who want specific routes(all of them can not be made).

• Like Like x 1
  7. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

I do agree that TSW & Classic are better giving you access to everything off the bat, but I wouldn't say they don't belong in sims period. They can have a place in at least a few cases, for example in the SCS truck sims you don't have access to every truck dealer or garage off the back, that's very restrictive compared to many sims. However nobody argues it's worse because of it, if anything it encourages exploration way as that alongside job gives you a big reason to go places you otherwise might not care about otherwise.

• Like Like x 1