C&im

Discussion in 'Route Suggestions & Proposals' started by andoprime87, Oct 22, 2020.

1. andoprime87

andoprime87 Member

In the virtual world of Train Simulator, getting to experience modern routes is nice and all, but it's really something when we get to use it to experience the trains of yesteryear.

The Chicago and Illinois Midland was, and remains, not particularly well-known as it operated a network of barely 100 miles. Its primary function was to provide transportation services for owner Commonwealth Edison, moving coal from the southern Illinois coal fields to power plants in Chicago. It all began as a very small operation established by local interests south of Springfield in moving agricultural goods to market. After coal became the primary focus the C&IM's purpose remained relatively unchanged for more than 80 years. Its passenger business was, as one might imagine, relatively insignificant and these trains were abolished after World War II.

[​IMG]

Interestingly, the C&IM did not gain its name from the territory it served but rather the companies which owned it. Its patchwork network ran no further north than Peoria and no further south than Taylorville. In 1996 it became part of the Genesee & Wyoming family of short lines and its corporate name was changed as the Illinois & Midland Railroad.z

I would propose modeling the pre-WWII route with 3 or 4 of the steam locomotive types used on the line.

4-4-0 locomotives 500, 501 and 502 mostly handled the meager passenger service along the line.
    [​IMG]

2-8-2s and 2-10-2s handled most of the freight.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

C&IM gondolas were built with their ribs and supports on the inside, preventing them from being unloaded with a conventional scoop, and thus preventing them from being loaned out and used on neighboring railroads. Gondolas on the C&IM need to be unloaded similarly to modern coal gondolas. They're shoved up a hill to an unloading facility at Havana, IL and rotated, dumping the contents out into the workings bellow. After which, the cars are released down a slope onto a kickback track. They fall down a gentle slope past a spring switch. Their momentum carries them up a ramp until gravity forces them to reverse direction, traveling through the spring switch onto a parallel empties track.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I'd be interested to see if the physics programmed into TS to have this kick-back track working as intended.

Locomotive Roster: http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/locoList.aspx?id=CIM

• Like Like x 2
  2. AndTheBest

AndTheBest Active Member

Any diesel locolomotive?

3. andoprime87

andoprime87 Member

I mean yea, they had a decent diesel fleet later in their existance. Arguably, they looked pretty good. I just think that Train Simulator is rather Diesel-heavy, especially for the North American content. Another steam-heavy route would be much appreciated.

• Like Like x 3
  4. andoprime87

andoprime87 Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  5. AndTheBest

AndTheBest Active Member

Nice diesel train

• Like Like x 1
  6. Buynot

Buynot Well-Known Member

I'd love to see the C&IM come to TS. I like the look of those steam locomotives! Especially those tender liveries.

• Like Like x 1
  7. andoprime87

andoprime87 Member

The red line on the tender might be my favorite part. It's rather bold compared to most North American steam locomotive/tender branding.

• Like Like x 1