Gp38 Brakes Stuck

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by VolvoB10M, Oct 25, 2020.

1. VolvoB10M

VolvoB10M Guest

I am trying to release the brakes on the GP38 but the red gauge on the second gauge is stuck at 40, I have tried changing modes and uncoupling from the second but I can't get it to release. How do I get this to work?

2. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Without further information I can only help you with some general question:
    • Was the MU-valve set to „Lead or Dead“?
    • Was the auto-brake cut-out set to freight?
    • Was the independent brake lever set to released?
    • Was the auto-brake lever set to released? (No offense, just making sure)
    • Did you play around with the MU-valve after setting up the brakes? (Might be an odd question but the MU-valve in the F40 is a bit finicky so I‘m just trying to cover all bases)
    • Was there a PCS application?

3. VolvoB10M

VolvoB10M Guest

The straight air and train brakes were off and the brake was on freight and I tried it in multiple and decoupled in case it was the other loco. How do I apply the PCS? The MU switch was in control but I also tried it in single after uncoupling but it didn't work.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2020
  4. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

I assume by off you mean released (as you would not want them to be off). PCS is part of the safety systems. Did you turn on the warning devices fuse in the fuse cabinet? If no, then you don‘t need to worry about PCS for now; If yes , then a little red square should glow next to some switches with the main controls (throttle, dynamic brakes, etc.) if there was a PCS application which enforces an emergency brake application. There is a specific way to deal with this which you can find in the TSW 2020 manuals.
    Just FYI, the rear loco can‘t be the cause since the dials only show the brake pressure for the loco your on (pressure in the lead loco‘s brake cylinders, the lead loco‘s brake pipe, the lead loco‘s main reservoir, etc).
    I‘m afraid I can’t really help more. I‘d need a description or list of all the actions you took on the loco to gain more insight into what‘s going on.

5. TheShotte

TheShotte Well-Known Member

Set the MU Switch to Lead or Dead

6. Stockton Rails

Stockton Rails Well-Known Member

...I had trouble before when restoring a saved game where I had this exact same issue. If the cut-out valve is in the ‘Freight’ position (it should be), try flipping it back to Cut-out and then back to Freight. Not sure this will work for you, but this repeatedly resolves the BP pressure issue for me in Oakville Sub when restoring my saved game. Give this a shot and see if it works.

7. VolvoB10M

VolvoB10M Guest

I have set it to the single/intermediate position but it is acting the same.

8. VolvoB10M

VolvoB10M Guest

It seems to work initially but after applying the brakes I can't get them to release again.