Advice For Downloading Freeware Routes...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ntypeman, Oct 23, 2020.

1. ntypeman

ntypeman Well-Known Member

Hi all...

I'm looking to download wotawallysbits backdated North Wales Coast...

Not having done anything like this before, can anyone offer me any advice (if you have the time) in going about this process???

I'm currently downloading some of the extra flies required and as I understand it there are 8 extra files that are required...

The other thing that is bothering me is some of the stock... I have most but not all of the locos (such as the class 20)... Is it imperative that I have these or not???

Thanks again in advance...

Eric

2. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

All of the files you download should have a readme .txt or .pdf document, just make sure you read them first and everything should install fine, regarding the rolling stock it will break any scenarios that require them but won't effect the actual route itself, if you run a scenario and it gives a popup about broken consists, hit F2 and then don't save just continue, if it's a.i. stock or stuff sat idle in sidings it won't likely effect you playing the scenario, if it's the player train/loco then you'll just spawn into the route in fly mode.

there are ways to fix these and it has been covered here in the forum, one of the other guys could probably point you to posts they've made regarding that.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. ntypeman

Thanks Reef...

Cat... I'm more useless than useless when it comes to this stuff!!! I'm just petrified about messing something up...!!!

Eric

5. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

Just back up your Railworks folder first... I can't stress this enough. If something goes wrong, just dump everything back where it should be. It's such a simple thing to do, yet something so many people don't do.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. ntypeman

Ummm...

How would I go about doing that??? :| Never done it before & haven't the foggiest... Sorry!!! :(

Eric

Oh... I don't possess an external hard drive either... Will that be a problem???

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
  7. Pookeyhead

No need to apologise. Ok.. I'm going to assume you know very very little about any of this to save a lot of back and forth, so I apologise in advance if I make this TOO simple and start patronising you.

The easiest way is to just copy the entire folder to another location on a different drive Do you have more than one hard drive in your system? I know you said you do not have an external drive, but many systems are configured with more than one internal drive, and even those with only one physical drive can be partitioned into more than one logical drive (although you don't see that much these days). Open up "My Computer".. or "This PC" (depending on what operating system you are using) and see what drives you have. If you only have one (Drive C) then you'll need to create a new folder somewhere on that drive. Name that folder "Railworks Backup". If you have more than one drive, it will be better to use another drive and create a "Railworks Backup" folder there. Open your new "Railworks Backup" folder and leave that window open.

Next, navigate to your Steam applications folder, which is located at C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common and open that folder. Inside "Common" you will see your "Railworks" folder. There may be others in there depending on what else you have installed... "Steamworks Shared" being most likely. Ignore all others. RIGHT click the Railworks folder and select "Copy" from the drop down menu. Then go to the Railworks Backup window you left open, and RIGHT CLICK the window's background and select PASTE. Your files will start to move across. depending upon how much DLC you have, it can take a LONG time... even with modern SSDs... go make a brew :) If you are copying to a folder on the same drive it will take longer. If you have an older laptop with a mechanical 2.5" hard drive... this entire process will take quite a long time... be warned. Also, before you actually start to copy, check how much space you have. Obviously, you'll need at least as much free space as the size of your current Railworks folder.

Pay no attention to the time remaining thingy... when it is moving lots of tiny little files, it will can say something stupid like "3 days remaining" but once it starts to get its teeth into larger files it gives a more realistic reading.

I'd do this once a week perhaps so you always have a recent copy. There's software available that once a first copy is made, will only back up incremental changes (AllWaySync and Sync Back Free spring to mind).

Just in case you need to see things in order to learn (many people do), here's a video of me doing the above.

If you only have one drive.

If you have multiple drives.

One piece of advice: Get an external drive of some sort. I can only assume that due to having no external storage, you not only have no back up of your Railworks folder, but your entire PC is not back up as well? If you have cloud storage for documents etc, that's fine, but your Railworks folder will be way too large to use cloud storage.

If you do get an external drive, make sure it is USB3 (and so is your computer) as copying the Railworks folder over USB2 will be PAINFUL... it really WILL take days most likely.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  8. ntypeman

Pookyhead...

I'm indebted to you... thank you!!!

No need to apologise... I live by KISS ( Keep It Simple Stupid)... This is one of those posts that not just me, but others may find useful so once again, THANK YOU...

Eric

9. Pookeyhead

You're welcome.

10. ntypeman

Dunno what I've done...

I think I've done everything that the instructions said on Backdated NWC however I can't find the route...

Do I look in the normal NWC or is it stand alone? By that I mean does it have it's own "route tile" on the menu display...

If this is anything to go by then I know why I stick to regular DLC...

Eric

11. Pookeyhead

It has its own tile

upload_2020-10-25_14-25-35.png

Did you follow every single step?

12. Pookeyhead

Did you install all three steps: Route, assets and fix? Did you run the batch file as instructed?

"NB. To enable all these above to function, you need to run the batch file "NWC_reskins_v1_0.bat" which will now be found in your Railworks\Assets folder (just double left click on it, and agree to let it run). Remember to Clear the Cache through the Menu "Settings/Tools" in game, and all the new reskinned assets will show in the Route."

13. ntypeman

Pookyhead...

Tbh I ran the batch file but I think i ran it early... i found the fix and installed it... I'm guessing i need to run the batch file again???

Not very good at this kinda stuff!!!

Can't get on the laptop now as its been repossessed for Fortnite!!!

Eric

14. ntypeman

Only problem is that now I can't find the batch file...!!!

Eric

15. Pookeyhead

It will be in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RailWorks

If it's no longer there, it means you must have run it already. Just re-install again, go through all steps carefully. Unpack and install "route" using Utilities.exe... then assets... then fix... then run the batch file.

Ensure that Train Sim is not running while you do it.. it probably makes little difference, but it's just best practice. If it was running though, clear the cache, or close and restart TS before trying to use the new route.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
  16. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Also have you checked all scenario types? If there are no career scenarios for example then you will not see the map icon (tile as you called it) under that particular tab.

17. Pookeyhead

It has QD scenarios, so should be visible in Standard and Quick drive lists. It has no career scenarios, no.

18. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Figured as much, which is why I thought I'd check if ntypeman has checked the other scenario types before re-installing everything.

19. ntypeman

Pookyhead & Reef...

Thanks for your help... Yes, I'd searched through everything but there was no tile... I'm just trying a reinstall now...

Eric

20. Pookeyhead

If you run into problems, I'll re-install it here, and video the whole process for you.

21. ntypeman

It's not come back (the batch file)... Do I need to uninstall the route, asset & fix rwp files using the package manager???

Sorry I appear to be so dense over this... To you guys its probably dead simples... :cool:

Eric

22. ntypeman

Thanks Pookyhead,

You're a star!!!

Eric

23. Pookeyhead

I did it any way... here you go.
    Ignore the parts where it warns of assets already being installed... that's because I'm re-installing it when it is already there.

24. Pookeyhead

Just to double check... you do already have the required assets?

DTG/North Wales Coastal

RSC\LiverpoolManchester;

keithmross\WCML2 - WCMLoS;

RSC\APStation [included with most RSC items]

To get the full benefit of Crewe Works, RSC\Doncaster Works is also required.

BTW... doncaster works is a great route in its own right... great fun shunting with a 03 :) It really makes a HUGE difference to Crew works too, and at the moment (until midnight tonight I think - but sale ends 26th) it is on really good offer in the DTG Monster sale for £2.39

https://store.dovetailgames.com/uk/product/260725/doncaster-works-route-add-on

25. ntypeman

Pookyhead...

Yes!!! Amazingly, just for once, I've got all the prerequisites!!! Thanks for taking the time to do the video... gonna look at it now...

Eric

• Like Like x 1
  26. ntypeman

Pookyhead...

Can I start by saying thanks for being so patient with me... I know it can be so frustrating when trying to help those who don't really know what they're doing, but to be honest I think I'm giving up with this 3rd party freeware add on malarkey...

I've uninstalled, reinstalled & followed your video that you were kind enough to make for me but whatever I've tried it hasn't worked... I'm also trying not to mess about with it too much as I haven't yet got an external backup source (and probably no prospect of getting one till xmas at the earliest) so am (probably) very foolishly messing about with things (such is my impatience) with files I probably shouldn't be messing with...

3rd party freeware stuff can enrich the TS experience immensely if you know what you are doing & I quite obviously don't in this department, ,

Time for me to draw a line in the sand me thinks...!!!

Eric

27. Pookeyhead

Well that's a shame, as it does indeed enrich things a great deal. Still... not all 3rd party stuff needs to be installed this way. A lot of Vulcan Productions stuff comes with an installer. If you subscribe to Alan Thompson, most stuff comes with an installer. Armstrong Powerhouse stuff comes with an installer, and so does Just Trains stuff. :)

28. ntypeman

Do I understand you correctly...??? You can get an installer that does it all for you???

Eric

29. Pookeyhead

No... I meant that some publishers of 3rd party content, such as Armstrong Powerhouse provide their DLC with an installer script so it does all the work for you. There is no installer than can install the NWC in Blue route for you other than the method you've tried by using Utlilities.exe.

30. Winzarten

Winzarten Well-Known Member

31. Peter Hayes

Peter Hayes Well-Known Member

PH
    "There is no installer than can install the NWC in Blue route for you other than the method you've tried by using Utlilities.exe."
    If it is a .rwp file you can extract it with something like 7-zip, and this will give you a "CONTENT" and sometimes an "ASSETS" folder. All you do is copy those folders into your railworks directory, and windows will automatically merge them correctly. The only downside is that you can't uninstall them via Utilities.exe. This method will still install any .bat files that are needed.
    For a good guide on how to install rwp files here is an oldie but a goodie: http://digitaltraction.co.uk/mainsite/downloads/

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  32. ntypeman

Thanks Peter...

I'll give it a whirl tomorrow but won't be holding my breath!!!

Eric

33. Pookeyhead

Not sure why you quoted that, italicised it, and then underlined it, as you are advising doing it manually. I said there's no installer other than Utilities can do it... not that it cannot be done any other way.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
  34. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

To clarify this point, it will put the .bat files in the folders they're expected to be, but it won't run them for you...
    "Install" is fairly ambiguous in this case

35. Pookeyhead

Of course not. This is exactly the kind of confusion I think Eric was trying to avoid. All Utlilities.exe will do is put everything in the package in the same location on your PC as it was on the creator's PC (basically dump all contained folders into Railworks). The only way it cannot work is if the package was created incorrectly... and then it wouldn't work for anyone, not just Eric.

Whatever Eric's problem is... it's not this. The reason I stopped offering any more help, or investigating further, is because he elected to draw a line under this and move on.

36. ARuscoe

You say of course not. Many people would think that it being "installed" would do that, hence clarifying

37. ntypeman

Due to my persistence, I'd like to share the following screenshots... ;)

Screenshot_North Wales Coast-BRBlue_53.33550--3.40997_18-08-29.jpg
    Arriving at Prestatyn.

Screenshot_North Wales Coast-BRBlue_53.33556--3.40958_18-09-16.jpg
    Right away driver...

Screenshot_North Wales Coast-BRBlue_53.32440--3.46763_18-13-36.jpg
    Power handle wide open...

Screenshot_North Wales Coast-BRBlue_53.31729--3.49030_18-17-05.jpg
    Arrival at Rhyl...

Screenshot_North Wales Coast-BRBlue_53.29708--3.72650_18-30-43.jpg
    Colwyn Bay... Next stop Llandudno Junction...!!!

Hope you like them...???

Eric :cool:

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  38. Pookeyhead

Good things come to he who waits :) So pleased for you. Enjoy... it's a great route.

• Like Like x 1
  39. Pookeyhead

I was agreeing with you :)

40. ntypeman

Thanks Pookyhead...

I got so frustrated this morning... The other half went to work & my little boy (well not so little, he's 8!!!) was still in bed so i sat down put some chiiled out music on & methodically went through everything... As I wasn't rushing or pressured things seemed to install differently and in the end it all worked out!!!

Drove a 40 from Chester to the Junction and yeah... its reasonably accurate, and I found it enjoyable as to me it's semi local with living on the Wirral peninsula...!!!

Thanks again for all your (and everyone else who inputted their efforts) help... I feel a bit more optimistic now & may try another 3rd party freeware route soon ("oh no" I hear you cry...!!!)

Eric

• Like Like x 1
  41. Peter Hayes

Peter Hayes Well-Known Member

A Ruscoe I do not believe that install is ambiguous at all from the dictionary:
    Use the verb install to mean "set up" or "put in place."
    The .bat files are installed in the correct folders, and yes, they still have to be run/executed.
    Batch files can be executed after they are installed.
    Wikipedia: A batch file is a script file in DOS, OS/2 and Microsoft Windows. It consists of a series of commands to be executed by the command-line interpreter, stored in a plain text file.

PH
    Underlining, italics etc was just a case of pressing the wrong button - nothing sinister. Sorry if it was upsetting!

42. Pookeyhead

I think you overestimate yourself.

43. ntypeman

Did someone say there were inbuilt scenarios in Backdated NWC... Am I correct in presuming there are some under the quick drive tab??? If so could someone kindly point me in the right direction where any others may be please???

Eric

44. Pookeyhead

They're in the standard scenario tab.
    20201028085936_1.jpg

Should be, if I remember correctly, 44 of them. You may not have the assets to run them though.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  45. ARuscoe

I doubt many users would look up the dictionary meaning when being told something like that, and if I said "I've installed your printer" they would expect it to be completely working, down to the machine being in place, drivers installed and configured etc
    Sometimes using a correct word isn't enough to make your meaning clear

• Like Like x 1
  46. ntypeman

Thanks Pookyhead...

I found them under the standard tab and yeah, I dont have all the assets as you quite rightly said...

Saying that had a blast in a 40 (again!) this time from Llandudno to Chester & was made up to see the "Fun ship" (the ex BR ship Duke of Lancaster) represented near Mostyn... I hadn't seen it on my first run up the coast to Llandudno...

Another question I have is that when you create a custom consist (I created a AP NSE 50 with 10 NSE Mk2's this morning) and ran it from Bristol TM to Newport but noticed that there was no tail lamp on the rear of the last coach... How do I go about rectifying this problem???

Thanks again

Eric

47. Pookeyhead

Good question. I've never needed to put one on. It just puts one on the back of the last coach all by itself so far as I know. I'm afraid someone else will have to pick this one up :) I've never had the lamp missing.

48. ARuscoe

Check that both the coaches and the 50 are compliant with the lamp standard, if they are then check that the consist has "the correct front and back" by going to camera 2 and you should be at the loco end. If you're at the other end then your consist is back to front which confuses the scripting
    You can reverse this in the scenario editor

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  49. ntypeman

Thanks ARuscoe...

Could you please elaborate on how I do this???

Thanks

Eric

50. ARuscoe

easiest way is to go into other scenarios that use them. If the lamps are there then they are...
    Also please note that the lamps will generally only appear when you tell the consist which way it's going (so put the train in forwards before looking)