German Route - 500ghz Signal

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by jamiebrannan13, Oct 26, 2020.

1. jamiebrannan13

jamiebrannan13 Member

Hi all,

mom becoming pretty familiar with PZB, the only thing I struggle with is 500ghz signals. When the 500ghz light comes on what do i do?

Whether I do, the breaks tend to apply and I’m normally only going around 30kmph

2. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

When under 500 you have to keep below 25kph when leaving a station or another place where you’ve been stopped by a red signal. When approaching a red signal, I think you have to be below 25kph before you hit the magnet before the signal.

• Like Like x 1
  3. volvolover1972

volvolover1972 Well-Known Member

500hz magnets are always present 250m before a red signal and you must slow down to 35 kph (PZB O) within 130 meters of passing over said 500hz magnet

• Like Like x 1
  4. xblackwolf90

xblackwolf90 Well-Known Member

If you're going too fast when you pass a 500hz magnet, the emergency brake will apply instantly (I believe it's >65kmh) without warning.

To avoid getting caught by 500Hz, you need to pay attention to the signals on the track (not the HUD).

If you pass an 'expect stop' signal (double yellow or single yellow, depending on signalling), acknowledge the 1000Hz magnet and slow to 40km/h*. When you pass 500Hz, slow down further (35 km/h for passenger, 25 km/h for freight) and expect a red very shortly after.

After stopping, if the display still shows 500Hz, you must stay under 25 km/h until it clears, or the emergency brake will trigger again.

*PZB will only force you to slow to <85km/h when passing a 1000hz magnet. If you only do that, you risk plowing through the 500Hz magnet too fast and triggering the emergency brake. ALWAYS slow to 40km/h when passing an expect stop signal.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Class395

Class395 Active Member

PZB has three modes for different train types:
    - Obere for passenger trains
    - Mittlere for fast freight
    - Untere for heavy freight
    Every train type has different speed limits when passing a 1000Hz or 500Hz magnet. A 2000Hz magnet will ALWAYS stop a train (unless you hold the override button when passing it).
    This should help:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  6. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

I usually slow down to 60 then wait for the 500Hz on the dashboard to slow down to 40, doing all that distance at 40 km/h takes a long time especially in RRO

• Like Like x 1
  7. xblackwolf90

xblackwolf90 Well-Known Member

Some trains have great brakes so you can definitely get away with this. Depends on the train

I think 40 is what you'd slow to in reality, based off Matt's PZB tutorial stream. Also, if you slow to 40, the red has often cleared to green by the time you get there to avoid the need for a complete stop.

• Like Like x 1
  8. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

I agree, I was mostly talking about passenger services (particularly the 422 and DoStos which have top notch performance) on RRO where you already know the signals are "scripted" in this awful way to clear as you get out of the station.

On freight services I usually slow down to 50 both in M and U using the air brakes and then to 40 using the e.brakes as I near the 500Hz magnet, I hope it's realistic enough, but I think it's reasonable

• Like Like x 2
  9. breblimator

breblimator Guest

My subscribed favorites (real train drivers) drive very conservatively. They do everything well in advance. Besides, they are rarely surprised - they talk to dispatchers, have 'written orders' (working timetables). I'm waiting for TSW to add working timetables and throw it on the usually black MFD. Matt has aspirations he claims.

• Like Like x 5