Ai Services

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by ZeenozPlays, Oct 27, 2020.

1. ZeenozPlays

ZeenozPlays Well-Known Member

I think AI services will be a great way to balance having a lot of train traffic, while not blowing up the memory.

These AI Controlled trains could randomly spawn in ~1 KM away from the player and despawn 1KM from the player. The only trains that would actually spawn, would be the ones that you own.

This could give the illusion of having a lot of traffic on the route without Consoles and Low End PC’s crashing the game.

If the player wants to drive a Regional Service without going back to the main menu, the game will despawn the S-Bahn timetable, and only load the Regional one while having S-Bahn trains randomly spawn in.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  2. migueld

migueld Active Member

I agree... Most routes have very little traffic, I get that certain trains only run like every 30 minutes but idk it just feels really dead sometimes when it comes to AI traffic. Although when playing a scenario there's AI traffic left to right. What's up with that?

• Like Like x 1
  3. eire007

eire007 Active Member

How about removing the kms and kms of trees and landscape we see? There is so much background things which you would not even look at even as a train driver yet it’s all in there. Cutting this back could help also.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ZeenozPlays

They create their own frequencies in Scenarios since they know what you’re going to do.

In timetable mode you’re able to go anywhere.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ZeenozPlays

But train drivers do see them the countless times they drive the route. It’s a part of the scenery, you remove that and the feeling of being in a dense metropolis, or going up a mountain is gone.

• Like Like x 2
  6. eire007

eire007 Active Member

Are you telling me if you driving a train you can see 2 kms over buildings?? Be serious. There is scenery not even superman could see if he was a train driver but it’s in the game. By the way. I didn’t say remove all of it.

• Like Like x 1
  7. ZeenozPlays

I didn’t know you meant that far out, yes that scenery can be removed. I thought you was talking about things right next to the tracks.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Articuno

Articuno Well-Known Member

The thing is, far off scenery is generally low resolution 3d or even 2d foliage, which uses us very little performance anyway. If you removed this there could be gaps when using external cameras and you probably wouldn't be able to add many trains anyway for service mode if you did. It's all the scenery close to the track that is using up CPU and RAM.

• Like Like x 2
  9. muham.a.423

muham.a.423 Active Member

I agree with everyone! I really wanna see some more traffic and hustle and bustle. Most of the real train stations and destinations are packed with trains.

10. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Isn't this pretty similar to how Quick Drive mode in good old Train Simulator works? :P

11. Articuno

Articuno Well-Known Member

I'm all for more AI (up to the realistic amount). They've mentioned alot in recent streams that they are making a lot of progress towards the game being more memory efficient which will allow them to add more services in service mode (I believe they are currently working on this for Bakerloo). You can see how with each new route they've released that service mode is more busy - I would rather see the real timetable being kept than just random trains appearing at certain times.

• Like Like x 1
  12. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

The trains already just spawn when you are close to them, and less that a kilometre away I would guess. When the trains are further away they are just small amounts of data. It’s when they get close to you and spawn into the scene that they start consuming lots of resources. That’s why you often get lagging in the game, it’s when the trains are spawning into the scene, just before you pass them. Randomising when that happens won’t solve the issues. It would most likely just cause other issues. The random trains would need to be generated far enough away to not affect the signalling near the player. Random trains could easily break a drive.

Besides, I think most players driving in a timetable mode would rather have their AI trains keeping to a timetable, and your system completely falls apart when you are on foot. PIS on stations would have to go. All notion of being able to spawn on foot 5 minutes before you know your train is due to depart to allow extra time to set up properly will go. Playing as a passenger would be broken. The whole concept of a timetable disappears if you take away the timetable and randomise the trains.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
  13. ZeenozPlays

Not sure how quick drive works as I never had TSxx.

14. ZeenozPlays

I’d rather see the real timetable as well, but if the randomness improves performance, I’ll take that over the real timetable.