Background Information As Collectibles

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by olikas.g, Oct 27, 2020.

?
  1. Yes

12 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. olikas.g

olikas.g Member

I was wondering how to get more out of the feature of TSW where you can explore the stations and surroundings on foot. I am always interested in the background story of some of the historical buildings, stations, sidings, signal boxes, etc. I am sure that the team do research into these during the route building. I am sure I could do some research and read about them on wikipedia or forums, but it would be quite fun if we could get the same info within the game.

In the current game I can walk around and interact with the blue markers that either start a journey or scenario. The same feature could be used to show a pop up window with the backstory. Finding these and learning about the different aspects would make more sense than putting on the exact same route map at every station. It would also give TSW a bit of educational flare.

I know some of you in the forums don't like the collectible aspect of the TSW, but I think learning about the railway and history would be quite a good addition to a game where you are encouraged to explore.

What does the community think?

• Like Like x 1
  2. muham.a.423

muham.a.423 Active Member

Amazing idea! I personally would love to see this implemented. Also, maybe they could add little information boards with stuff like: "Come see... at the theater" or information about local attractions. Wonderful idea. :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. olikas.g

olikas.g Member

I like this idea. Quite like the ads in the undergroud.

4. jamesbaby286

jamesbaby286 Well-Known Member

It certainly would add significant benefit to those who aren't local to the route. Even a bit to those that are. Especially on routes set in the past or in other cultures.
    And in-game experiential education aspect like the Assassin's Creed games offer would be something cool to investigate.

5. olikas.g

olikas.g Member

It was exactly the Assassin’s Creed that inspired me. I think audio commentary is a bit overkill for TWS, but some reading and extra pointers for further details would be nice.

6. uvm0902

uvm0902 Well-Known Member

I am not interested in collectibles on the route. I think this is unnecessary, it must be removed. More interesting would be train maintenance actions: checking the running gear; repair of damage and elimination of faults; checking the performance of devices; Maintenance; wipe windows and bodywork and more.

In passenger mode, you can buy tickets, wait at the train station, board public transport at the train station, use baggage and postal services.

• Like Like x 1
  7. fabdiva

fabdiva Well-Known Member

That's a Collectable idea I could get behind, I mean if the point is to encourage exploration then giving a bit of history, facts or other info about the line along with the "tick" would be a really good idea

8. olikas.g

olikas.g Member

If they would add damage to the trains they would need to turn this game into a train repair simulator where you can take the train apart. Btw there is such a game already. If it is just about getting close to the machine and it instantly repairs it (like the broken screens on the bakerloo line), then I'd rather not have such a feature.