Railtours

Discussion in 'Creators Club' started by djcwey, Oct 26, 2020.

1. djcwey

djcwey Well-Known Member

I've heard some comments on a number of YouTube videos that some people have been disappointed that the heritage traction railtour is currently missing from East Coastway (as NTP and the Mk2 stock have not yet been released on Preserved Collection). However following the release of WSR on Preserved Collection there is another solution which allows you to drive almost the entire route NOT just Lewes to Eastbourne.

Motivated by the post "Class 09 at High Speeds" I thought I'd try something similar.

I previously discovered (by accident) that it was possible to couple two trains together. I was driving a 101 DMU on Tees Valley and overshot the platform at Eaglescliffe... I reversed back and found the following (freight) service had arrived in the platform!

I've since extended the thought process and utilised Scenario Planner to emulate a railtour on East Coastway. What I did was start a Passenger Service (AI) service formed of a Class 33 and WSR stock from Eastbourne. Starting at the same time a Player Service in a pair of Class 20's Light Engine at Hampden Park. I drew the the Class 20's past the Starter signal at the end of the platform. About 3 minutes later the 33 approached Hampden Park and stopped at the red aspect. I reversed the 20's back onto the 33 and coupled up. The next signal indicator showed a red aspect at about 8yds (the distance the 33 was from the Starter signal), but when I started to move the consist forward the next signal indicator changed to green 600+ yds (as the lead locomotive was passed the Starter signal). All clear then for a run to Brighton;-))

Working from the other end of the route it is possible to replicate the process with the Passenger Service starting from Brighton and Player Service at London Road. With regard to locos only the Class 37 appears to be unavailable as a Light Engine.

The use of a dual braked 'translator' loco between air braked mainline locos and vacuum braked coaches is nowadays fairly commonplace at diesel galas on heritage railways. It is also prototypical on mainline operation for an ETH (Electric Train Heating) equipped loco to be coupled inside of freight locos when tours ran during the winter. For example during 1992 a series of eight "Wessex Wanderer" railtours ran with various combinations of freight locos and a Class 33 coupled inside. Other notable events have been diesel days over the Settle & Carlisle and Cumbrian Coast routes where the (standard) train loco in the form ETH fitted Class 47 would be topped by 'exotic' freight traction.
    Train Sim World® 2-e2ab3fd4-a3e9-4577-8c00-f0b70ac64173.png

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  2. mkennaway

mkennaway Well-Known Member

Iv been messing about with this aswell on Tees Valley. Not tried eastcoastway yet. For TVL start your light engine service at one of Darlingtons platforms. Start the other service 5 minutes later in Darlingtons other platform. Then just wait beyond the next signal and the other service will creep up behind. Couple and off you go! e0512316-4769-447e-b2eb-7f8c617b400f.jpeg.jpg c14af2e1-52ad-43a6-b59d-090cd2591eeb.jpeg.jpg
    Pair of 33s sound good!

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. djcwey

djcwey Well-Known Member

That sounds like a better solution for getting a run over the entire length of a route!

Also if starting the Class 37(s) from a platform their train could be detached and left in the platform - thus making the loco(s) Light Engine?!

Yes a pair of "Cromptons" sounds good vindicated by Matt P's comment in WSR stream that the 33 is slightly underpowered... So you just need more of them;-)

Tees Valley could be interesting. It's a route not for full on high speed thrash, but plenty of speed restrictions meaning several sprint sections.

• Like Like x 1
  4. mkennaway

Yeh the pair of them with 7 MK1s is plenty powerful enough. Great being able to have loco hauled passenger trains in the game. TVL has always been my favourite route, my uncle lived beside Tees Yard many years ago. Anytime I stayed I would go up onto the road bridge and watch the freight trains going in and out so I'm probably abit biased!

I ran both the 47+52 and the pair of 33s the full length of the route with no issues. I had the paths for both trains identical other than the start point. Same stops etc.

5. djcwey

djcwey Well-Known Member

Process works well on Tees Valley utilising two platforms at Darlington. (Two platforms could be utilised at Brighton although first signal after the Starter is London Road Starter. Only Platform 2 is available for departures at Eastborne.)

I started both the Player Service and Passenger Service at the same time from Darlington. The Player Service gets precedence over the Passenger Service so you get the road and AI has to wait for you to clear the section.

I tried getting the Class 37 in on the act, but after clearing the section the uncoupled wagons (left in the platform) are still recognised as a train and given the road in preference to the Passenger Service:-(

6. Stephen Crofts

Stephen Crofts Well-Known Member

This is a brilliant discovery, I can’t wait to try it out, but I’m missing something here. How exactly are you coupling up without triggering a spad from the signal just passed?

7. mkennaway

You dont trigger it. The passenger train behind you rolls upto the signal and stops. You just need to reverse a little to couple up. You don't pass the signal

8. djcwey

djcwey Well-Known Member

I think the quirkiest thing (although I think is entirely realistic?) is the way the Passenger Service toots the horn when it pulls up behind - it's like "I'm here!"