Tsw2 Ads On Game Startup Screen

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Jack O'Track, Oct 26, 2020.

1. Jack O'Track

Jack O'Track Active Member

I really get fed up with all the ads with this TSW2 game.
    Besides that it's full of bugs, that's even more annoying.

• Like Like x 1
  2. matthewbguilford

matthewbguilford Well-Known Member

Ads for what exactly?

3. Jack O'Track

other game modules one should buy ...

• Like Like x 1
  4. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Don't see any ads. If you want to skip the startup screen just hit the spacebar.

5. sequencer2k16

sequencer2k16 Well-Known Member

Buy them all, then you can say "I already have" and save a lot of money.. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  6. mclitke

mclitke Well-Known Member

I have not seen any bugs in the ads.

7. michael hooley

michael hooley Well-Known Member

Just left Click.

Mike

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
  8. zawal.belili

zawal.belili Guest

you are troll ? !?..

• Like Like x 7
  9. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

I’d rather get rid of it automatically starting tutorials, I thought the option I selected in menu was supposed to.

10. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

Frankly I don’t like having to page through the boring and garish start screens.
    A short video would be a better choice with the option to log into dtglive on the the route selection page.
    Perhaps one from their latest route in action, but not an arty publicity vid with irritating music...

• Like Like x 1
  11. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

upload_2020-10-27_10-40-50.png
    Do you mean this?

That's just the latest Dovetail Live news article. I imagine it'll change to the roadmap update sometime later today.

If you mean the ones in the loading screen (there's only 2 adverts in the 8 images it shows anyway), then they've been around since at least TS2013, probably earlier. If you go to
    Documents\My Games\TrainSimWorld2\Saved\LoadingScreens
    You can just overwrite the images it shows in the loading screen.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  12. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

Oh and regarding the loading screens, I think the shown selection is shuffled with community content winners every couple of weeks. Because of the amounts of releases last week and the Monster Sale (up to 70% reduced prices for TSW addons, therefore preserved collection) happening at the same time they probably decided to create more buzz ingame for players not so frequently checking in at dovetail store ... I think.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Clumsy Pacer

Possibly, and yes the winners of the screenshot competition get their screenshot in the loading screen for 4 weeks.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Jack O'Track

i mean this; example ADS TSW2.jpg :

15. stijn.claessens

stijn.claessens Well-Known Member

Well it is either that or a bland loading screen. You won't play your game faster if these are not there.

• Like Like x 2
  16. BR125

BR125 Well-Known Member

get a SSD, I see maybe 1 or 2 slides before it loads.

I assume you dont watch TV?

• Like Like x 2
  17. mattdsoares

mattdsoares Well-Known Member

How dare a game developer let people know within the game that they offer DLC for the game! Seriously, come on. They're not putting ads for Mountain Dew or Nestle in the game. They're loading screens letting you know about new content for the actual game you're playing.

I struggle to think of a possibly more curmudgeonly, "get off my lawn" type of complaint.

• Like Like x 14
  18. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

Frequent flyers already are aware of the dlc.
    Would be happy with screenshots.
    That illustration of three disparate machines in neon orbit is a crime against nature.

Curmudgeon eh, now wheres my smock?

• Like Like x 1
  19. Clumsy Pacer

... is letting people know what routes from TSW1 are currently in TSW2?
    You clearly haven't watched any television (not recently, anyway) because you'll be absolutely horrified by the fact they put adverts in between programmes. Even the BBC (who don't run adverts) advertise their own programmes, which is essentially what DTG are doing here. Ads even appear on bus stops - it's mortifying! Would you rather the game just gave you the TSW2 logo, and nothing else in the loading screens?

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  20. sequencer2k16

sequencer2k16 Well-Known Member

I like the preserved picture with all the locos, please more. This is a cool alternative to the single route advertising. ;)

21. mattdsoares

mattdsoares Well-Known Member

This may be shocking, but the overwhelming majority of people who play TSW are not "frequent flyers" posting on these forums or watching DTG streams...so perhaps the "ads" aren't really intended for you.

• Like Like x 1
  22. DTG Protagonist

DTG Protagonist Has left the building Staff Member

As indicated above, the only place we have where we can talk to everyone who plays the game is in the game. To that end, if we have something shiny and new to promote that's where we do it. The alternative would be a nice black screen, maybe with "Loading" written over the top of it. Dramatic, certainly, but hardly the most exciting thing.

• Like Like x 10
  23. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

Yes, they introduced the scrolling images with TS2012. I vastly prefer the newer loading screens with screenshot competition winners, but it used to be a lot more commercial. Before TS2012/RW3, the loading screen would be line map/diagramme with screenshots of the route, similar to what they have done recently.

See above. I would love to see a return of the old Railworks-style loading screen. I know that they have already been implemented somewhat into TSW, but it would be nice if the loading screen would show the map of the line you selected to play.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  24. Clumsy Pacer

I remember it being in TSW before TSW2020 came out, then it stopped, which was a shame. Would've been good if it only did it for the routes you own, and if you don't own it, the standard 'out not' screen if it's a recent add-on.

25. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

The adverts do usually contain a nice picture of a train and not a footballer you’ve never heard of trying to get you to buy a brand of underarm deodorant he doesn’t even use himself or a bank telling you they care about you, and not just your money, while a black horse gallops through a field of buttercups. I like them.

• Like Like x 3
  26. Knightfire1964

Knightfire1964 Well-Known Member

atleast it's not the advertising that EA have used in there games advertising stuff on amazon prime ect i find it's quite nice to look at when waiting for the game to load

27. hibiki

hibiki Well-Known Member

I always think if there is a picture and it is changing, adverts or not, then it is loading.

I remember when I used to load up games on my Commodore 16 with a blank screen hoping the game would load, only to find out the cassette runs and and it has crashed.

Also I personally don't see them as adverts. More like annoucements as they are all related to the game itself. Adverts to me is something that is completley different to the product you are using, Such as what you see on Facebook, or TV.

• Like Like x 1
  28. pinxtonpaws

pinxtonpaws Guest

East Coastway "shiny and new"? I think not.
    Besides, if you play TSW2020 offline (from the disc / no internet) then you get interesting pictures of the ingame locos alongside stats and other info so let's nip this "nice black screen" thing in the bud straight away because alternative loading screens, as has already been shown, are more than possible.

I'm not against the promotional stuff (it's your game and you are free to do as you please with it) but you already have an 'in your face' store link complete with a permanent click-bait exclaimation mark so I can understand why people start to question the level of ingame advertising you feel is required to make people aware of available content. Still, at least you haven't yet resorted to trackside billboards or scrolling "message from our sponsors" infos when hurtling down long uneventful sections of the routes......

• Like Like x 1
  29. 59321747

59321747 Well-Known Member

Picking bones from eggs, loading maps and routes takes time to prepare