Is Anyone Aware Of A Mod That...

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by hightower, Oct 27, 2020.

1. hightower

hightower Guest

...changes out the old skies on the preserved collection to the new, far superior TSW2 skies.

Is it even possible? I'd have thought it would have been a relatively straight forward cut and paste job for DTG to do, but there must be more to it otherwise it would have already been done wouldn't it? Surely?

Those manky old skies really spoil the preserved collection. With an easy fix there to be utilised, surely it's not beyond the realms of possibility that it has, or could, be done.

• Like Like x 1
  2. mclitke

mclitke Well-Known Member

I don't know a mod. This evening there is a livestream, maybe ask if it is possible to implement the newer sky to older routes? Or put it in the suggestions section.

3. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

Sounds like a job for Adam!

• Like Like x 2
  4. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

I also do not know of a mod, but it is more serious work than just replacing some textures. Adam has said that backporting the new skies is something that the preserved crew would be tasked with, though I don't recall if he actually confirmed that they are doing so.

• Like Like x 1
  5. hightower

hightower Guest

That’s good to know. Lets hope it’s high on the list of priorities - the old ones revive the spirit of Commodore 64 games :)

6. mattdsoares

mattdsoares Well-Known Member

And unfortunately unless set to clear or fully cloudy, the new ones don't look like earth, IMO.

7. hightower

hightower Guest

They’re not anywhere near perfect, granted, but they are massive improvement on what came before them. It’s like 8-bit vs 64-bit to me.

• Like Like x 1
  8. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

They may not look like earth, but going for more accurate skies would only push the memory requirement up.
    I suspect the current option was chosen as the best compromise.
    Agree it’s a great improvement though.

• Like Like x 1
  9. hightower

hightower Guest

True, although at some point this game will have to truly commit to being ‘next-gen’.

If we, the consumer, wish to see ever more complex and realistic games there is an element of burden on us to keep relatively up to speed with modern hardware. RAM isn’t really all that expensive these days.

I’d like to see games companies really pushing the envelope, but we’ve got to have the gear to allow them to do it.

All in my opinion of course :)

• Like Like x 2
  10. mattdsoares

mattdsoares Well-Known Member

Ehhhhhh. Armstrong Powerhouse was able to create far more realistic skyboxes for TS20xx. I think DTG can do a lot better.

I'm just mostly afraid now that given the layers and memory on consoles issue that DTG will use that as a crutch for anything that sucks in the game. "Well, we'd love to fix it, but ZOMG THE MEMORY"

11. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

Well there will come a time when the old consoles will be no longer viable from a hardware point of view.
    Just like games stopped being written for 386s and 486s.
    Obsolescence is a fact of life.
    How soon it will happen will depend on the take up of the new generation boxes.

• Like Like x 1