PlayStation Satisfied With The Cam Settings?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Railmaster, Oct 26, 2020.

?
  1. Its all good for me.

2. No, the settings needs to enhanced!

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Railmaster

Railmaster Well-Known Member

Are you satisfied with the cam settings?

For me it is still a big shortcoming that you can no longer adjust the exterior view vertically using L2 / R2! This "cam-diving" is really annoying!

Apart from that, I find that the camera space is still too limited! Even the highest position in the exterior view regularly collides with bridges, etc. Sometimes the view resets itself, sometimes it doesn't. A little more room upstairs and there would be no.
    In addition, you can not position far enough in the horizontal. Often you drive a deep and narrow corridor and would like to see what there is to see left and right - but all that remains is the treetops. This also reduces the possibility of great screenshots or clips.

I would like the current tightness of the cam to be doubled in every direction!

In addition, on some routes / trains in the passenger view, you always have the red crosshair in view. This is a clear misadjustment of the cam.

What do you think, are you satisfied or which changes do you find useful?

• Like Like x 2
  2. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Firstly, I thought I would miss the vertical camera controls and the camera hold controls more than I do. I’ve found having to point the camera exactly where you are moving it to isn’t a huge problem but what you see isn’t always what you want while you are getting in to position. Some cinematic camera work can still be achieved so all is not lost. Having a single click on the controller for getting outside quickly is definitely helpful even though I could press 3 on the keyboard if I wanted.

One thing I do miss is being able to move the camera quickly. That control has gone (it’s still the horn in immersion controls) and there is no substitute for it on the keyboard. So I can still access the free camera from the keyboard but can’t move it to a position ahead of the train for a good passing shot.

The longstanding issue of the boom cameras (still accessible from the keyboard shortcut) colliding with scenery is still there but that camera actually has fast panning added to the controller with the left stick as well as slow panning with the right stick (so no right stick press is required, eliminating the above issue for one camera at least), so that’s a good addition.

By far the biggest issue is the cameras being locked out when any part of your train is in a tunnel or what has been constructed in the game as a tunnel (the area under the freeway in Peninsular Corridor for example). This is a huge step backwards for TSW2 and I think must only have been implemented because the locking out of the external cameras on Bakerloo had to be done globally and not just on that route. If it was a conscious decision to lock out of tunnels for any other reason than that, then I will be bewildered and very disappointed. It has spoilt external viewing more than any other issue. The best bit of seeing your train from the outside us seeing it come out of a tunnel. This needs rethinking but no word from DTG.

The restriction on how far out you can go on the cameras that are connected to your train, which includes the ones selected by pushing the right stick, is too close to the train, especially as it’s the only camera you can activate directly from the controller. I’d say it needs doubling. The general area the free camera can go is more often than not too close to the track too.

The ‘you’re in danger’ crosshairs in passenger mode are annoying but an easy fix is to turn the HUD off. The lack of external cameras when sitting in the secondman’s chair is also irritating. The secondman’s seat could be designated a passenger seat and then the external cameras would be useable. Another thing for DTG to think about implementing.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  3. xblackwolf90

xblackwolf90 Well-Known Member

Holding SHIFT on the keyboard does what holding L3 used to do :)

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Luke8899

Luke8899 Well-Known Member

I certainly don't disagree the camera settings can be improved (afterall most things in video games can be improved upon!), but having said that I am not particularly unhappy with them, they are for the most part a huge improvement over TSW2020 and I can't say I ever find myself actively frustrated or annoyed by them whilst playing the game.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Lenwigg

Lenwigg Well-Known Member

I prefer the new camera over the old. Much easier to use with or without keyboard.

6. richard cooper

richard cooper Active Member

I prefer immersion camera way more, far easier and quicker to drive train in camera mode, I used to regularly forget to press triangle to switch modes.

• Like Like x 2
  7. box215

box215 Active Member

This is one of the reasons I still use classic controls
    It's an even bigger pain when doing yard switching

8. Nielsen

Nielsen Well-Known Member

I miss the exterior camera option that doesn’t attach to the train’s movement. In TSW2020 it was satisfying to see the train pass by at speed every now and then, as if you stand nearby. That said, it’s great how it’s now possible switch between interior and exterior in an instant.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Aufzug

Aufzug Active Member

I prefer the new camera scheme on console. TSW 2020 camera was annoying to hold L3 and then select the menu with the analog or D pad. Not a fan of the clipping, but being able to exterior-interior view in just one press of the analog is really useful.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Railmaster

Thank you for your answers and assessments, which I also largely share.

Basically, I like the new immersion control very much, especially the quick change of the outside / inside view, as well as the zoom. But I also see that there are good suggestions here to further optimize the camera settings, because what is great on the one hand is bad on the other. In other words, the approach is good but not at the end.

I hope that DTG will read this carefully, because it cannot be that just because there is a subway, everyone else has to look into the tube as well. Bad compromise.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Railmaster

By the way - the cam controls of the classic settings can also be selected in the immersion version - if you use a keyboard ...;)

12. bart2day

bart2day Well-Known Member

I agree. I love the new immersion controls but the one big thing missing for me is the free camera that doesn't track with the trains movements. 'Hold R3' is free on the immersion controls so if they could add it to that then the control scheme would be perfect.

13. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

How many of you are like me where you are outside the cab and you still press triangle thinking you have to switch between camera and driver? Come on be honest I can't be on my own lol. I swear at myself each time I do it ha ha

• Like Like x 2
  14. Lenwigg

Lenwigg Well-Known Member

No I am the opposite. When I have to use classic I keep forgetting to press the triangle and often panic when the train does not slow down when I want it to.

15. Slemcer

Slemcer Well-Known Member

Muscle memory can be hard to retrain, and yes, I'll probably do it as well. (Still not really playing TSW2 yet)

16. Railmaster

Yes. It is okay for me to use a keyboard as well, just to save detours via visualization when starting, etc.

I prefer certain things to remain on the keyboard rather than having to be laboriously reintegrated into the controller. Because at TSW a keyboard is not absolutely necessary but just as useful. And only costs little money, in contrast to the Railmaster.

17. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I’ve not done that but what I always had a habit of doing in TSW2020 was pressing triangle when I was using the headout cameras from in the cab, which made me stand up. So many times. I’ve been doing it again because I’ve been playing 2020 as much as TSW2 recently (it just works better), but I’m more likely to turn the wipers on instead of opening the doors these days.

• Like Like x 1