Only 32 Bit?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by deanmacgregor, Oct 27, 2020.

1. deanmacgregor

deanmacgregor Active Member

Hi guys, my system is 64 bit windows 10, but on the load up of train sim 2021, it says 32 bit, is there a 64 bit version and If so, how do I get it please. If not, then are they planning to release one. Many thanks.

2. Tomas9970

Tomas9970 Well-Known Member

You can select between 32 bit and 64 bit version when launching the game through Steam. Alternatively there are two exectutables in the game's directory that you can choose from.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

Hi deanmacgregor, in the main folder of the game you will find two .exe files: the 32 bits' and the 64 bits'. Anyway, both should appear on steam, but they don't show up always. Hope this helps.

• Like Like x 1
  4. deanmacgregor

deanmacgregor Active Member

Thanks for that, I'll have a look, what are the advantages to running at 64 bit please

5. Sharon E

Sharon E Well-Known Member

I my experience, the 64 bit gives a little more detail in the game.

6. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

Far less likely to run out of memory or see OOM errors... plus, it SHOULD run a little faster. I occasional use the 32 bit version though as the AP class 40 has sound issues on 64 bit. That's the only time I'd run it though. There's no advantage to using anything other than the 64bit version I can think of apart from that.

7. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

There are a few DLCs that dont work on the 64 bit version for whatever reason, but that's about it.

8. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

I'm still using 32bit when I'm in the editor, it was always reported the more stable editing version, have no idea if that's still the case though.

In fact I even changed the splash lol..
    Image5.jpg

9. Peter Hayes

Peter Hayes Well-Known Member

The two major reasons for using the 64-bit version are:
    TS can access up to to 8 Terabytes of Virtual Address Space (only 4GB in the 32-bit version) and that means there is less likelihood of a crash due the VAS being fragmented, etc.
    TS can now access more than 4GB (3.5GB) of Physical RAM and that means that if you have say 16GB RAM you can now load a route/scenario into the working set in one go and diminish the use of the paging file. This should give faster loading and less/reduced stuttering.

10. mike370

mike370 Active Member

When 64bit TS20xx was first launched, players initally were finding that editing old routes & their scenarios (that had historically been created using 32bit TS) were becoming unstable/glitched when editing in 64bit. And at least in the first year or so following first release of 64bit TS, the general consensus was that such '32bit' routes/scenarios best still edited in 32bit.

Newer routes that have been originally been created in 64bit editing mode were (and still are) fine to edit in 64bit mode. In fact many route/scenario builders have found the 64 bit version of the editor significantly more stable (less likely to crash) & quicker/more efficient to use. That's also my own experience. So any new route, or scenario for new(er) routes, then one's probably best off using the 64bit editor.

I'm not sure whether players are still finding incompatibility problems with editing older legacy routes/scenarios with 64bit. I believe the initial problems experienced were largely resolved after subsequent patching of the core game by DTG. But possibly there's still some risk involved with such older creations perhaps related to some of the legacy assets used in the route builds. For this reason I'm aware that at least a few route builders prefer to continue editing their older routes using 32bit mode. Hope that makes sense. :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Peter Hayes

Peter Hayes Well-Known Member

Mike 370
    You are correct in the early days switching to 64-bit TS was more prone to crashing in the editor. Possible causes include - In 64-bit RAM addresses/ Registry locations can be different to 32-bit, and addresses in 64-bit are more accurately placed than in 32-bit. Just one 4K page has to be wrong and a crash is inevitable.

As we progress 64-bit should be be much better/stable. In 32-bit mode TS has only 4GB of VAS to load into, this means that in the editor these 4GB address can become fragmented or lose sufficient contiguous space so that TS can no longer load - crash.
    Frequent savings "reset" the VAS and help prevent crashes, due to fragmentation, etc.
    In 64-bit TS, we can now access up to 8-TERAbytes of VAS - meaning it is going to be nigh on impossible to suffer from fragmentation, etc issues.
    (VAS = Virtual Address Space" - Google)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Ahh thanks both, well tbh the routes I mostly tinker with tend to be the older freeware ones like SWW 5.2 and IIR v4 and I quite often tinker with a clone of the IOW route (the latter is basically my learning curve where i've done a full third rail electrification, added more signalling, AWS and added some turntables because I dislike Steam loco's running backwards, totally unrealistic but it was my way of taming the editor) so I may well be better off sticking to the 32bit editor then.