Why Should One Buy Tsw2020 Instead Of Tsw2 ?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by WoodlandTracks, Oct 27, 2020.

1. Good evening all,

Many many years ago I played a bit with TSW, the free version and the first paid version. After testing it out I stopped playing TSW but continued playing TS.

I would like to check it out again (PC version) and noticed that besides the recently released TSW2 also TSW2020 is still available for sale.

What is the reason people buy TSW2020 instead of TSW2 nowadays ? Just the routes it comes with, or are there other considerations that make people still buy TSW2020 ?

I tried searching the forums to find an answer but could not get any decent hits.

Thanks

2. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Go for TSW2. There is only one reason for '2020 - NEC (which is not in TSW2). BR :)

• Like Like x 2
  3. ProfCreeptonius

ProfCreeptonius Well-Known Member

Hi there,

currently my best suggestion is wait for Adam to fix the preserved collection and the wrong max speed of the 146.2 *cough cough* and whoever does the Motion blur to fix the horrible flickering and then forget about TSW2020 ever existing. In my eyes, besides the two mentioned points, TSW2 does everything better then TSW2020. It's awesome.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,
    Prof.

• Like Like x 2
  4. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Also the Class 377 braking, I haven't played ECW since TSW2 release, because I can't stand the fact it seems like driving a model train it goes from 70 to 0 in half a second.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
  5. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

TSW2 has an unofficially-supported DX12 commandline option that significantly boosts performance if you have a higher core-count CPU, say six or more cores, especially in object-dense areas. That is one major difference that in my opinion makes it worth it. DTG has stated that they will not provide support for it, so it may break later down the line, but for now it makes places like Hagen yard and Cumberland terminal much more eye-friendly.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

Well if you don't have either, then going for TSW2 is the obvious choice. The TSW2 routes so far are much better quality and gameplay wise as TSW2020 routes.

The preserved collection is pretty buggy and weak in TSW2 for now, but hopefully they will get around to fix them soon and they will be just as good. So to answer your question, there really is no point in buying TSW2020 over TSW2. Sure TSW2020 has NEC, but... that's such a bad quality route from what I heard that you're not missing out on much.

7. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

I personally prefer TSW2020's entire main menu system and UI (other than the HUD) over TSW2's. I also like how in TSW2020, you can just quit the simulation straight to desktop, but you can't do that in TSW2 which I find somewhat annoying.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Callum B.

I have also noticed the lack of a menu option, but thankfully ALT-F4 is as reliable as ever.

9. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

oh I didn't know it worked in TSW2.

10. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Besides, DTG has dropped support for 2020. The project will no longer be developed. The choice is basically obvious.

11. BinaryRun

BinaryRun Active Member

What is this lovely command line? ;)

12. Callum B.

Simply put -DX12 into the Steam launch options. You can find this menu by right clicking on the game in your library, selecting Properties, and then Set Launch Options...

upload_2020-10-27_15-20-21.png

Cheers

13. BinaryRun

BinaryRun Active Member

Awesome, my 8 cores are grateful.

• Like Like x 1
  14. sequencer2k16

sequencer2k16 Well-Known Member

I keep TSW 2020 only because of NEC and as a reference to compare the PresCol in TSW 2.

Sometimes there are TSW 2020 packages with multiple routes, cheaper than buying them all separately
    and TSW 2 benefits too if you don't have all DLC yet but you still need the TSW 2020 core for a TSW 2 copy.

In the end, TSW 2 makes TSW 2020 redundant and replaces it, but I have had hundreds of hours of fun and i am glad i bought it in 2017. I also like the fact that all old locos and routes are taken over, that is not obvious for a new game, a big thank you for that.

15. mclitke

mclitke Well-Known Member

"Unplayable"

16. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Sorry, I personally can't stand it, haven't played ECW for that exact reason since August and it was my n.2 most played DLC in TSW1

• Like Like x 2
  17. mclitke

mclitke Well-Known Member

That's fair enough. I just don't like it when these things get the title "Unplayable" and "broken" when they are perfectly playable. Read once that HRR is broken because of missing destination boards on Dostos. I can accept if someone doesn't want to play something this way but saying that it is broken is ridiculous.

• Like Like x 1
  18. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Will edit the comment using a more correct term, of course "unplayable" is wrong but I thought in that context was acceptable

19. DTG Protagonist

DTG Protagonist Has left the building Staff Member

WoodlandTracks If you're looking to get in on some Train Sim World, go with the new version rather than 2020. TSW2 will continue to evolve and improve over time while TSW2020 is what it is.

• Like Like x 5
  20. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

No need to hurry for TSW2. Buy it if there are routes you like a lot. TSW2020 will stay and will remain a wonderful game. You can switch to TSW2 any time fit for you.

TSW2 has some new things:
    - New routes
    - Adhesion physics
    - A livery editor
    - A very simple scenario planner (so simple we should not call it scenario editor).

Gradually more features will be added. At Munich-Augsburg you see nice working passenger information systems for example and really busy traffic near Munich.

• Like Like x 1
  21. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

My advice for anyone at this exact point in time who doesn’t have either would be to pick up TSW2020 now, buy the DLC for TSW2020 as and when it comes up in a sale, and at some point in the future, when you have got loads of enjoyment from the content in TSW2020, get TSW2. The reason for this, and it applies more so to console players but is also relevant to PC, is that the TSW2020 content that is also available for TSW2 works better in TSW2020. Buying TSW2 further down the line will have the benefit of not going through the teething phase of a lot of the available content currently being a bit broken.

While TSW2020 content is still available, buying any DLC for that title means that you get it for both titles and you can play it in whichever title has the fewest bugs and niggles, which at this time is TSW2020, so not having TSW2 isn’t an issue. You can’t however buy that DLC for TSW2 and then get it for free in TSW2020 at a later date if you decide to try that instead.

There is of course a slowly growing body of DLC that is only available for TSW2 and if you want any of that now, or the routes that come in TSW2 as standard, then you’ll have to buy TSW2. But I would wait, while there is still a lot of stuff to get through in TSW2020, and then get TSW2 in a sale at a later date.

• Like Like x 1
  22. A big thank you to everyone for the many useful and helpful responses !

• Like Like x 2