Oakville Strikes Back

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Monder, Oct 23, 2020.

1. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

With the recent update released, the new route is not the only thing in it worth attention. Oakville just released as a part of Preserved Collection and for this otherwise rather empty route, it can mean a significant boost in value.

Therefore I went into the Scenario Planner and made use of the Baby Bullet to utilize the otherwise unused stations along the line.
    CalGo-1.png
    Below I am adding the scenario itself for you to try out (sadly only on PC, also hopefully, everything works fine). You will need base TSW2, Oakville and MP36 DLCs. Take the .sav file from the .zip archive and put it into the folder below (default path):
    C:\Users\username\Documents\My Games\TrainSimWorld2\Saved\SaveGames

You will be taking a "Baby GO" train from Oakville to West Harbour calling at all stations. On your way, you will meet a mixture of freight and passenger trains (with one visit from a certain east coast freight railroad).

If you think the scenario is worthy of it (I don't :D ), feel free to stream it, share it etc. If anything breaks, let me know.

Known issues:
    -more of an MP36 issue probably, but you need to switch Pump, Gen. Field and Engine to ON to run, yet the HUD tells you you've interlocked the throttle. The locomotive still runs, so it's only a minor issue.
    CalGo-2.png
    -between Aldershot and West Harbour there's a wild 15mph limit on the mainline for about 50 meters, only HUD tells you about it, signals show max speed allowed (green on top)

I think this is a good display of what Scenario Planner can do (even in its earliest iteration) and how much of a mistake it would have been to not do anything to Preserved Collection.

Enjoy the ride. If this turns out well, the northbound run might follow.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

Are the passenger stations actually usable, are they selectable as stops along the way?

3. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

Seen a nice green baby bullet on Discord and was planning to do exactly this.
    So many thanks.

Should add this goes in :
    Documents\My Games\TrainSimWorld2\Saved\SaveGames

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
  4. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

They are usable though there are no people on the platforms. You can normally set up a passenger service, it tells you to stop at them, load for about a minute like usual. So yeah, they are working.
    It is in the description.

5. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

Hah hadn’t read then :)

6. mattdsoares

mattdsoares Well-Known Member

Well, then it sounds like it's GO Train time!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  7. Dinosbacsi

8. box215

box215 Active Member

I was honestly hoping they'd release passengers services on this route
    Since the MP40PH-3C in this pic is in the same family of locos as the MP36PH-3C from Peninsula Corridor
    alas this never came to pass

9. mattdsoares

Might have a lot to do with licensing. GO would need to be willing to play ball, not charge too much, and overall have the license be worth enough to DTG in sales to be worth the hassle and cost.

10. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

Supposedly even the Amtrak Cumberland station is functional considering the cyan stripe on the map. They probably do it preventively, maybe telling the code "this is a station section" is not that difficult. The run took me about 35 minutes Oakville to West Harbour (4 stops between), so it's not super long neither extremely short. If the services were return-trips from Oakville to West Harbour or Aldershot (a bigger station prior to this one) and back, it could probably work. I had a little glance at the schedule and it's one train every 30 minutes during the day. Taking night into count you'd still get about 70 services (or 35 return-trip services). That's... more than the base route.

11. Dinosbacsi

Well yeah, also that, but what I was suprised about is them being selectable as station stops - I mean there are plenty of passenger oriented routes where you can't even use all the station tracks in scenario editor. For example on Isle of Wight the second track at Ryde Pier functions as a station track, because there are even passengers spawning for it, yet you can't use them, not even in scenario planner. So anyway this was a nice suprise.

That's not even that bad actually. I never tried this route, but I kept hearing it's rather short and that it's more simply switching oriented, so I didn't think it would be good for a 35 minute run.

12. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

I have to admit that for the mainline runs Oakville has a rather decent selection of points to use, therefore this was makeable. Scenario planner probably falls apart in the industrial zone as you can only go A to B.
    It is not the longest route, you can't do an hour-long run like on Caltrain but it is not bad either. Especially now that this route is 35% off.

13. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

I think this will be one of the first baby bullet designs people will do once the livery editor becomes avail for the preserved collection

14. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

Along with the white and blue Bi-Levels Caltrain bought from somewhere and just slapped their logo on them.

15. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Im gonna assume you mean the Ex Metrolink cars.
    40285225844_76ecdd305b_b.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  16. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

Correct assumption :D

17. TheShotte

TheShotte Well-Known Member

Hahaha awesome. Literally first thing I did as well was to create a passenger Scenario, although I don't have the Baby Bullet purchased so I just used the F40PH-2CAT. The service itself works quite well, you can run most of the line sans the Industrial bit. Also, the route is setup with both passenger and cargo tracks, which means if you create a scenario as a passenger service and add the stations appropriately, you will be running on separate tracks (for most of the route) instead of the ones you would be running on with cargo, which is cool. I just wish the game was written well enough that if you have a scenario with a specific platform in it, it would populate said platform with people, as it's the only thing slightly bothersome when doing this run is seeing the stations soulless.

• Like Like x 1
  18. mattdsoares

Yes, I think overall this route had a lot of wasted potential as a fun mixed use route. Toronto - Hamilton would have been great for both freight and passenger traffic.

19. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

Man, this really makes me hope scenario sharing comes to console eventually. It's the one feature from PC (even though it's not officially supported) that I'm jealous of.

I suspect that cost is the main barrier here, as they'd either have to officially host the scenarios on their servers, or incorporate sharing into the game client itself, since Sony and MS sure aren't going to allow downloads from random file hosting sites.

At the same time, though, it would facilitate DTG selling their own scenario packs, which i've never understood why they don't- seems like it would be a pretty good ROI.

20. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Slightly off topic, but with no passenger traffic on the Oakville sub and no NEC coming to TSW2, it leaves quite a void for North American fans. I keep hoping that Amtrak will appear on the Roadmap horizon at some point. If I had a P42 and some Superliners I'd run them over Sand Patch.:D

• Like Like x 2
  21. Dinosbacsi

Well there is LIRR, which is a great route, but it could use some improvement. Hopefully the preservation team will do it justice. There is also Peninsula Corridor.

But I agree, some Amtrak stuff would be great, considering they already licence with them. Or maybe something with NJ Transit, their trains seem lovely.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

Some part of NEC should definitely return. Acela, NE Regional, some local trains. Especially now with high speed potential for Acela.

• Like Like x 1
  23. mattdsoares

I wouldn't be shocked to see some version of the quite popular on TS20xx NYC - New Haven route. Though given how DTG have said they won't make very long routes due to the amount of work they could always shorten it to NYC-Stamford. You'll have plenty of MTA commuter traffic as well as Amtrak NEC and freight. This would also follow the pattern they're starting to show of re-creating popular TS20xx routes to take advantage of the licenses and research they already have.

• Like Like x 2
  24. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

Boston to Providence would be the ideal section.

25. mattdsoares

Well that probably depends on where you live and where your main interests are.

26. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Fine, it's certainly the right length, though personally I'd prefer some version of the Racetrack which, if you recall, includes Amtrak, commuter rail and freight. But that was a third party route in TS, so unlikely. So some part of NEC is more of a possibility.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
  27. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

I think racetrack might be a problem because of BNSF licensing. You wouldn't be able to sell that DLC outside the US (maybe Canada).

• Like Like x 1
  28. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

The issue of licensing has been worked around several times. It's not really a hinderance so much as it is an annoyance. Steam can deploy two different packages, one for the U.S. with logos, and one for the rest of the world without. Alternatively, they can release a single, unbranded package and provide a separate free download for the logos, a la the Racetrack DLC.

29. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

I know, I have noticed this solution, but quite frankly as a European, it would be a bummer for me to have only 1 out of 3 companies on the track with proper logos.

• Like Like x 1
  30. Callum B.

I asked about BNSF licensing on tonight's stream but got told off by one of the mods for asking. I am taking such a response as a, "no, BNSF content will not come to TSW2 in any shape or form."

• Helpful Helpful x 3
  31. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

Yeah, that seems like the right take- this issue has persisted for years, and obviously isn't being resolved soon, if at all.

So, how about a Norfolk Southern freight route?They have the license in TS20XX, so hopefully could work out.

32. mattdsoares

They could, but would it really be worth the extra hassle for DTG of fragmenting the player base on different DLCs, especially when there are so many other route options that wouldn't have this issue?. I'd love to see what the new engine could do with the racetrack as well, but given the licensing questions I can't see DTG bothering with it while there are so many options down the NEC from Boston to DC. Who knows though!

• Like Like x 1
  33. Callum B.

I am not the person to ask. Perhaps you would have greater success in asking during a stream than I had. BNSF lines are highly-demanded and routes like Marias Pass (or whatever 40 mile fragment they would decided to model for TSW2) or the Racetrack would sell extremely well. It is not as if the BNSF dryspell on TSW and TS classic has decreased demand for more orange. They would also open avenues for more Amtrak content, such as point-to-point Superliner services--something that Sandpatch does not currently offer with its single Amtrak station.

• Like Like x 1
  34. Mikeboy

Mikeboy Active Member

Strongly agree that this route was a waste of potential, extending it to Toronto Union wouldn't have brought its length out of whack with other routes and the GO commuter services should have been included, and then you could have loco DLC adding Via Rail and Amtrak's long distance services.

Even as a "switching focused" route it's unfinished, with a lot of sidings inaccessible.

• Like Like x 2
  35. mattdsoares

It was more of a rhetorical question to the fates in general, not to you in particular.
    Yea, it just seems like a half baked idea that resulted in a half baked route. I think there's a reason it never gets mentioned by anyone, including DTG. It's not a bugfest like NEC, but it's also not a very compelling route.

• Like Like x 1
  36. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

Northbound run finished finally. Set in the early evening, maximum traffic I could fit in.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3