Xbox Livery Designer Tutorial

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by w.lichko, Oct 28, 2020.

1. w.lichko

w.lichko Well-Known Member

With the news of the preserved collection being added to the livery designer, I am far more interested in using the tool. I am unfamiliar with it and it does feel a bit overwhelming, so a tutorial video made by DTG or anyone else really would help. Do you agree?

• Like Like x 2
  2. muham.a.423

muham.a.423 Active Member

Agreed!... They could maybe include popular designs for trains(stripes, smooth curved lines on the side, shapes, signs)

• Like Like x 1
  3. DTG Natster

DTG Natster Producer Staff Member

We are looking to create more video tutorials in the future and this is a nice suggestion.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. BLRy

BLRy Well-Known Member

Sorry to open an old thread but.... I have just purchased TSW3 (US Starter) and have been trying Livery Designer for the first time.
    Is there a proper tutorial? I am finding it extremely frustrating to figure out.

On a side note I use MS Paint and other various graphics programs on a regular basis and none are as awkward and frustrating as LD.
    I also have been playing TSW since March 2020 (disk upgraded to TSW2020) and was not aware of LD until now. I am most anxious to create my own liveries as I also do model railroading of a freelance railway and would like to operate my own equipment in game.

Am I missing something or is this just how this feature is?

5. BLRy

BLRy Well-Known Member

ABSOLUTELY! No idea why this wouldn't have been standard issue. Train livery is not rocket science = variations of nose and plow stripes (up, down), side stripes or lines (ability to angle them), frame sill safety stripes, hand rail colours, separate painted panels or sections, number board patches w 1-4 numbers, &c, &c.
    I still have yet to learn the program, but from what I've tried so far with a simple basic livery on a loco and a hopper car I am frustrated and disappointed that it seems so complicated and labour intensive.

6. aeronautic237

aeronautic237 Well-Known Member

There's nothing official as far as I'm aware, but Youtube is a good source!

At least there is Creator's Club now, so we can download a livery if it already has been made!

• Like Like x 1
  7. BLRy

BLRy Well-Known Member

Thank you, I did find some on Youtube. Some very good designers out there.
    I messed around all day yesterday with it and have a basic grasp of it now. It is still an awkward way to do things and could use some influences from MS Paint, especially the making of lines and painting of certain areas within same using a "fill" method rather than using/resizing shapes.
    And yes you are right, at least we do have a club now ( I may even upload at some point when I am comfortable with my designs) and I have found a few nice designs to save. Now I just have to figure out how to get my CN subdivision into this game.