Tsw 2 In-game Map Upgrade (ideas)

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by w.lichko, Oct 28, 2020.

1. w.lichko

w.lichko Well-Known Member

At this moment the in-game map is quite dull and undetailed. It is a simple blueprint, not a map. Also, it is difficult to orientate yourself.
    In future updates, I would love to see the in-game map receive a much-needed upgrade.
    Ideas =
    - Add route landmarks to map
    - Add bodies of water to the map
    - Highlight bridges and underground sections and add names if possible. Give a sense of depth.
    - Slightly fade areas/tracks/brank lines of the map you haven't visited yet.
    - Add station, yard, and depot names
    - Individualize each route map, by using a slightly different background. If the route is dirty and rusty add some wear&tear. Be creative!! :D
    - Add the featured train companies logos, for example on german routes add the "S" to S-Bahn stations.
    - Ease the switching process on controllers. Clicking that small arrow button is tiresome.
    - Add center player option

You don't want the map to feel cluttered so to manage all the info certain icons/names will appear/disappear when you zoom in and out.

• Like Like x 9
  2. Costpap

Costpap Member

Adding onto this, I’d like railroad crossings to be displayed on the map. Currently, in Sand Patch Grade, the only sign of a railroad crossing is a small sign to the right of the tracks, which you can miss if you’re doing something else such as controlling throttles or brakes.

• Like Like x 2
  3. w.lichko

w.lichko Well-Known Member

Aaahhh yes, that as well.

4. 59321747

59321747 Well-Known Member

Absolutely can't simplify the operation. If the simplification is better than playing ts2021 directly, I only like TWS because it improves to the real aspect. If it becomes ts2021, I will not support it.

5. jedi247

jedi247 Well-Known Member

I agree. The maps in Trainz are much better in my opinion. By the way, there is a center player button.

6. Martin13

Martin13 Well-Known Member

Looks good!!! A map upgrade would be fantastic.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Stephen Crofts

Stephen Crofts Well-Known Member

Would be good to have a small hud overlay in the left corner showing your immediate position in the map.
    Going to the full map at any time means you take your eye off the road.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

The map needs a lot of work. Track/station labels and train IDs are top of the list for me, but as OP mentions there are plenty of things that could be added that would really enhance the experience. As long as you could toggle individual elements on/off, I don't think clutter is a huge worry.

• Like Like x 1
  9. steamfan

steamfan Member

Yessss, there are a lot of great ideas in this thread, the map desperately needs an upgrade in my opinion.

• Like Like x 1