PlayStation Upgraded Passengers Won’t Ever Happen...

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Samo1, Oct 27, 2020.

1. Samo1

Samo1 Well-Known Member

It’s been said many times “it’s a long difficult job” and there is no profit in it, spending time, energy and effort in a new system that just enhances the game but can’t be sold and is just eye candy won’t happen when that effort can be used making new routes, the existing passenger bugs have never been fixed have they, so there is zero chance of a whole new system in my opinion

• Like Like x 9
  2. Bob12212

Bob12212 Well-Known Member

Problem they may have a the moment, is they are trying to save memory where ever possible. I guess it depends on what an overhaul would look like. But if it involves more passenger volume and or detail, then that would probably eat into the memory problems further. Same thing if they were to make them more intelligent, as this would maybe eat up more processing power.

Only an idea that's probably totally inaccurate :cool:

3. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

There was no profit to be made in fixing the physics on CSX Heavy Haul, or heavily modifying it to run on consoles, but they still did it.

• Like Like x 2
  4. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Just because Sam said tonight that it isn’t happening yet doesn’t mean it will never happen. I’ve forgotten passengers even exist in TSW they are so far down the list of things I think should be fixed. I think DTG probably feel the same. It is a massive job to overhaul the passengers and when they have available time to do it, they will. There are more pressing matters at the moment but they will eventually get round to it.

• Like Like x 6
  5. Samo1

Samo1 Well-Known Member

The physics engine was already in place, passengers need to be reworked from the ground up

• Like Like x 2
  6. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

It would be nice but it's not a pressing issue right now.

7. Samo1

Samo1 Well-Known Member

It’s not a game breaker or a deal breaker but it’s always admitted it’s something that needs to be improved so it’s a valid talking point...... if after years DTG has not got passengers off trains before the start and end of services and carried that over from 2020 to TSW2 do they really believe they will spend the time on a completely new tough, time consuming passenger system?

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  8. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

I agree, I'm not dismissing your topic. I'd like to think it'll happen eventually.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Costpap

Costpap Member

I wouldn’t say that. Bringing Sand Patch Grade to console has made it available to a wider player base, some of which may want to buy TSW2 just for that route. There’s certainly some profit involved, even if small.

10. Samo1

Samo1 Well-Known Member

No one is going to buy TSW2 just because it finally has a decent passenger system, there is no incentive for DTG’s to invest the time money and effort into doing it, talk about yes, that’s free but implementing it is a different story

11. ross.duncan35

ross.duncan35 Active Member

if they managed to overhaul the system and added passenger dlc to sell could be a win win.example have a basic passenger set that is in base game and then have choice to buy add ons like shoppers,buisness people,punks,mods teenagers etc.

12. Costpap

Costpap Member

Please don’t give DTG more ideas, they’re already greedy enough.

• Like Like x 6
  13. L89

L89 Well-Known Member

Would be good if you could get a better variety of passengers without awkward animations and twins everywhere. Passengers wearing headphones, on phones, with newspapers, pushchairs, wheelchairs, luggage, umbrellas (in certain weather conditions). There is so much potential but a lot of technical obstacles to overcome.

Look at Bus Simulator where the passengers get on and sit down without warping...then look at the FPS that game has whenever there is an influx of passengers. Intelligent AI and more passengers will eat into the already starved resources on console.

14. DTG Protagonist

DTG Protagonist Has left the building Staff Member

I've made the exact same argument - passengers and other in-world humans would make for a fantastic cosmetic addition to the game that is completely non-essential while giving players the ability to build out the game to their own taste. More options are never a bad thing when those options don't impact the core of the game.

Make no mistake there is a big appetite in the development team to overhaul passengers. The strength of a simulator comes from the way it immerses you in the world, passenger appearance and behaviour are a major component in this.

As with everything else passengers (and other people in the world) are on the wishlist, but they're not at the top of that list. You'll see what is, soon.

• Like Like x 9
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  15. Maxrom

Maxrom Active Member

More authentic passengers for me is definitely on the nice to have list, rather than the must have list. Personally, I really don't care about the current state of the passenger system. Sure they do wonky things and don't look great, but I'd rather they fix the more pressing (and presumably more simple) things that are broken and stopping people playing the game.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Samo1

Samo1 Well-Known Member

Selling better passenger dlc would be the biggest rip off of all rip offs, when you use the word SIM in the title you don’t expect to pay extra for better passengers you expect realistic passengers

17. Samo1

Samo1 Well-Known Member

Good morning Sam, I understand what you said but the implication of we know we have given you crap passengers but you can pay for better passengers is just wrong, I think that would upset many customers, that’s like releasing a crap route and saying if you want the route better you have to pay more, that’s just not on from a customer point of view

• Like Like x 1
  18. ross.duncan35

ross.duncan35 Active Member

yes as i suggested,if they manage to overhaul the system add new passenger system to game for free,then the option to buy dlc and as it would be an option no need to buy and feel ripped off.

19. Patrick Kolinski

Patrick Kolinski Active Member

sure they need to do something with that!

20. xblackwolf90

xblackwolf90 Well-Known Member

New passengers would be great.

I doubt it would be a DLC, and sincerely hope it won't be. Charging for an improvement that is needed would be a very poor show.

21. Cramnor

Cramnor Well-Known Member

Isn't there a possibility to learn from and share with other developers and games. I mean this is always an issue, in every bus, tram or train simulator out there, some doing one part better, and the others a different part. There is a new sim out, TramSim, which is also based on Unreal, and they praise themselves for putting a lot of effort into the passengers (more variety, actually entering the tram and going to a seat and sit down). It is a tough call, but everyone could profit from such a collaboration in the long run I think :)

22. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

I can see the issues that they have in developing such things (and lets face it passengers can be both a simple and a hard thing to get right depending on how you look at it) and when they settle into their dev schedule maybe something will come of it, either way doesn't stop me enjoying driving the trains

• Like Like x 2
  23. OnlyMe1909

OnlyMe1909 Well-Known Member

Interesting, very insteresting. Bombshell dropping soon?

• Like Like x 1
  24. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

It’s something Sam has been involved in, which is top secret and cannot be talked about yet, as answered by the man himself when someone asked in the stream chat what his role was at DTG. He answered that he was standing in as the Community Director, doing the customer research stuff he’s been doing for a long time, and something else that he can’t talk about. My guess would be that he’s been running a closed beta for something, most likely multiplayer, and that he’s now dropping hints that there is something coming soon, then whatever it is will be announced before Christmas.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  25. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Station passengers are one thing. What I would like to see are people walking around the streets, maybe walking their dogs, and workers in freight yards. The TSW world is too lifeless. Also some car and truck sounds would add realism.

26. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

I think this deserves another thread...

• Like Like x 1
  27. erg73

erg73 Well-Known Member

Playing the HMA introduction brought a smile to my face when I saw that ICE full of passengers. Couldn't it feel like that on every trip? Even if they didn't get on and off, it wouldn't be like you were driving an empty train all the time.
    I really think that work should be done in this area, when they finish fixing the important faults that are there now, for example the sounds issue.

• Like Like x 2
  28. Aufzug

Aufzug Active Member

Its unfortunate that DTG has attention on many different things. The silver lining is that they will eventually come to the fixes; which will be after the last round of preserved collection release. I agree with you though, the game feels really lifeless without more passengers/better AI, etc. The problem with current generation consoles is that they're not powerful enough to handle a game like this without reducing some features, which is a shame.

Hopefully if this game comes out on the newest generation console it will be able to handle all of the features DTG wants to implement.

• Like Like x 2
  29. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

I'd personally like to see passengers getting off the train at the official last stop of the line and when going to the depot like in World Of Subways 4. I don't understand why passengers don't get off the train when you get to the last stop like on the Bakerloo Line and why when you take the train out of service to a yard or depot, there are still passengers on the train. A lot of routes in this game where the line offically ends in real life has this issue where they don't get off. It's fine if the line continues further and the train goes into a portal because we reached a certain playable point like Ausburg HBF, Ronkonkoma etc and the passengers are still on, but if we get to the official last stop of a line like Penn Station, Alantic Terminal Brooklyn, Hempstead, Elephant And Castle, Stonebridge Park, Queens Park, Harrow and Wealdstone, Hagen HBF, Munich HBF, etc, ALL PASSENGERS SHOULD BE GETTING OFF the train and when taking a train from a depot into service or taking it out of service, there should be NO PASSENGERS on the train. It's unrealistic and kills immersion for a SIM to have trains that are out of service full of passengers at depots and not getting off at the official last stop of the line. It shouldn't be hard to have passengers despawn off the train. In terms of passenger models, yes they aren't the best looking but I don't really care about different types of passenger models. Personally the passenger models we have are ok and I wouldn't want several different models. A increase of passengers would also be cool because some routes like the LIRR and the bakerloo line have very little to even no passengers at stations making the routes feel dead at times. Now if dtg do make different models of passengers, then that will be cool but please don't charge money for nicer and potentially better models. It would just seem greedy and make people unhappy. It would probably hurt their already poor reputation

• Like Like x 1
  30. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

I think when I asked this question on last nights stream I simply was asking for more passengers as a start. I was driving the Isle Of Wight and was thinking what a great little route, but with this level of passengers they would have been out of business long ago. I just wanted to feel like I was doing an important job running end to end there getting people where they need to be. As it is you can pick up 5 or less passengers in one run on console

• Like Like x 3
  31. ARuscoe

Because DTG haven't programmed in a setting for "empty passengers at this point" into the scenario editor? Easy enough to understand why these things are not happening, and also should be easy enough to fix, but only if they have the capacity in their scripting to do this.
    Kind of like the reverse of the "start train empty" setting in TSx

• Like Like x 1
  32. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

They say for consoles it's due to memory issues but i'm suprised that this is the third installment of the train sim world series (Train Sim World, Train Sim World 2020 and Train Sim World 2) and we still have these optimization problems for consoles

• Like Like x 1
  33. DTG Protagonist

DTG Protagonist Has left the building Staff Member

Perhaps the point I was making was not clear - if we address passengers everyone would get improved passengers, no exceptions. If however you wanted cosmetic changes to passengers beyond their standard appearance they would work well as an add-on. After all, they'd be a purely cosmetic feature with no impact on gameplay. If your two options are - no cosmetic choices, or cosmetic choices with a price tag I know which I'd prefer (with my gamer hat on). It would also facilitate such cosmetic choices as mastery/milestone rewards or via other pure-gameplay means.

Yes, this extra choice would undoubtedly annoy some people, but the reality is that unless the development of these options is self-supporting they simply won't happen.

All of this is, of course, hypothetical.

• Like Like x 5
  34. Samo1

Samo1 Well-Known Member

If you upgrade the passenger system for everyone so it’s a least respectable and functional and then offer extras for a price then that’s perfectly fair and acceptable for me and I would suspect many others, passengers are an important part of the overall package because without them there would be no need for the passenger trains we drive, it’s all part of the overall experience (just make sure you get rid of the passengers in the sidings it’s spooky they are there before and after every journey )

35. Thunderer

Thunderer Well-Known Member

It would be nice to start with the current passengers wearing appropriate seasonal clothing.

It spoils the immersion to see passengers wearing T-shirts in blizzards. Especially on German routes - from experience the average German would never go out without checking the weather forecast first and dressing accordingly. :)

• Like Like x 3
  36. ARuscoe

Yeah but DTG is in Chatham, Kent and it's not unusual to see people there in T-shirts / short sleeves in all sorts of weathers. The place is known (locally) for people wearing weird stuff

(This is half joking of course, though Chatham people ARE known for being weird)

• Like Like x 3
  37. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Certainly the passengers up north in TSW are a hardy bunch in inclement weather!

I agree so much more variety is needed with passengers, for example where are the train enthusiasts and business people and the elderly. I The "outside of the railway" world is devoid of life too apart from cars, even some static figures would be better than nothing, people chatting on street corners etc.

They have said that passengers are not what they want them to be so I think in the future they will be overhauled but obviously not a priority at the moment.

38. matthewbguilford

matthewbguilford Well-Known Member

Once the effort that’s being spent towards the preserved collection is completed, I think we will see a lot more updates and upgrades then you think.

• Like Like x 1