Class 47 Brakes...which To Use?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by lukereynolds1, Oct 27, 2020.

1. lukereynolds1

lukereynolds1 Well-Known Member

Hi all,
    When driving the class 47, there are two brakes: the automatic air brake, and the straight air brake.

Does anybody know what differentiates the two brakes...for example, which should be used under what conditions?

2. a.paice

a.paice Well-Known Member

The straight brake controls the engines brakes, the automatic controls the entire trains brakes.

If you are light engine the straight/direct brake should be used but if you are pulling a train with air or vacuum brakes fitted then the automatic brake should be used.
    It’s more effective and in real life you’d destroy the loco brakes by using the straight brake with a heavy train as it would be too much.

• Like Like x 2
  3. lukereynolds1

Thank you for the information. That makes sense :)

4. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

Actually you are not supposed to use the straight air brake on a Class 47 if running light engine on the main line.

If you are low speed/shunting in a yard the straight air is fine, however the automatic brake is recommended for more control so you don't lock the wheels up.

The straight air is very much all or nothing in Train Sim World, where as the automatic brake allows for gradual braking to a stand.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ade4472

ade4472 Member

Has anyone else got problems with west Somerset becoming non responsive after start up? I’ve now reinstalled twice including Xbox reset in case updates have caused issues alas I can only start my class 47 and that’s your lot. Also getting big problems with IoW losing power starting from Ryde when I have to shunt forward. Get to the points and then it’s kaput. Going to try some of the others but I’m starting to get cheesed off by having a broken game.

6. Northerner

Northerner Well-Known Member

On WSR is it the tutorial that's not working once you start the engine? If it is I'm pretty that only occurs if you hold the start button and it works if you just press it without holding.

7. lukereynolds1

WSR loads ok for me. What annoys me most is how the sounds of the 47 can randomly become unsynchronized, resulting in this horrible, repeating clicking sound. The only way I can stop it is by shutting down and restarting the engine :(

8. lukereynolds1

Thanks for the info. It would be useful if DTG could publish more information like this in their manuals. It's these details that make the simulation so much more enjoyable and authentic.

9. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

Well I drive 66's on the mainline and reported that the 66 straight air brake isn't actually very accurate in the game, as it's all or nothing. Which makes shunting quite challenging, so ended up using the automatic brake in initial and notch 3 of power (normally you would use notch 1/2 for this but the 66's are under powered on East Coastway) to power through the light brake application to buffer up to the wagons.

• Like Like x 1