Cold Starts In Service Mode In Tsw 2

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Lightspeed, Oct 30, 2020.

1. Lightspeed

Lightspeed Well-Known Member

Evening everyone! I like doing the empty to and from depot runs in the early morning and night on TSW 2, and I’m wondering if it’s not too much trouble when it comes to setting up service mode for each route, that could we have cold starts when starting in the depot in timetable mode? I’m sure there are others on here that like to do cold starts in timetable mode at a depot in the early hours of the morning.

Also cold starts as in Engine is not running, Battery is switched off, Handbrake is engaged. So the loco/train is cold and dead essentially. It would add more to the realism aspect of the game.

• Like Like x 25
  2. hibiki

hibiki Well-Known Member

Another fan of cold starts here. I think it is a bit pointless when you do a tutorial which starts at the depot, gets you to do everything, for only then to actually never have to do it again when using timetable.

• Like Like x 8
  3. migmadmarine

migmadmarine Member

Hopefully they can resolve the AI issue that was apparently preventing this being easily implemented, in that the AI couldn't preform cold starts, and would just cause the shut down train to glide around via ghost magic.

4. Cramnor

Cramnor Well-Known Member

I mean for most of the routes it is somewhat realistic that you don't have to do it since you just take over the train, but I would definitively love that feature as well! Maybe it could be an option when you start the route (something like easy start aka all ready or cold start aka you have to get everything going).
    Wasn't aware that the AI might be a technical reason :/ maybe they could make it that when you start a service everything is turned on but then automatically gets turned off so you get to do it :)

5. Lightspeed

Wait, the A.I. is stopping cold starts from being implemented in service mode? I’m pretty sure that some A.I. could do cold starts on NTP from what I remember, since I switched off a class 40 locomotive while waiting for the next part of a service, walked around Manchester station, came back and found that the loco had engine exhaust billowing out. But the engine was switched off when I left it, must be a glitch or something.

Having the service start off with all systems on and then automatically switched off, will kinda kill the immersion for me.

6. JGRudnick

JGRudnick Well-Known Member

This was said on a live stream a few weeks ago.
    The reason cold starts aren't in the timetable, is that the AI can't start a train. If services started cold and dark, they would stay that way under AI control. They would be moving, but they would be dead silent.

7. Lightspeed

Well that sucks! Magic ghost trains running down the mainline! strange to know that the AI can do proper light configurations and drive the trains but not do a start up. Maybe the AI needs overhauling a little.

• Like Like x 3
  8. mwi

mwi New Member

Just had the same idea. Why not add a switch to the service mode to have two start up options:

cold: you need to start the engine and do all the stuff
    ready: only release the brakes and go

Sometimes the train is in a status just somewhere in between, and I first have to check what has already been done and what I still need to do. A clear choice between these two options would increase the accessibility of the game, especially for casual players.

And if the AI has a problem with the setup, why not create the schedule in the ready mode and just run a little script at startup in cold mode that shuts down the train. This script could be executed before you are able to click the ready button. So you wouldn't see that the loco being switched off first.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2021
    • Like Like x 3