Proposal: North American Rolling Stock Pack

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Uncle Chuckles, Oct 30, 2020.

1. Uncle Chuckles

Uncle Chuckles Member

Looking across the collection of North American route/loco packs published by DTG, there always tends to be certain pieces of rolling stock that are always included and those that never are. Rather than having to make some scenarios require multiple DLCs (either full routes or standalone engine packs) I propose making a stand-alone DLC consisting of normal pieces of rolling stock you'd see on North American rails, all generic looking/non-branded to avoid any future potential licensing issues (cough cough BNSF cough cough).
    Below I will add a pair of images consisting of around 20 or so cars that could be included within said pack. Each is numbered and will be listed as to which a few DLCs they are spotted in to show what can help narrow down future DLC requirements if this is created.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 - Autoparts Boxcar (GP40-2 DLC, NSFreightPack01)
    2 - Refrigerator Boxcar (ShermanHill, MariasPass, USAssetPack)
    3 - 50ft Boxcar (StevensPass, Miami-WPB, RatonPass)
    4 - Doubledoor Boxcar (USAssetPack, MiamiWPB, ShermanHill)

5 - 3-Bay Centerflow Covered Hopper (SoldierSummit, MiamiWPB, USAssetPack)
    6 - 2-Bay Centerflow Covered Hopper (USAssetPack, BN/BNSF GP38-2)
    7 - 2-Bay Covered Hopper (ShermanHill, USAssetPack, Miami-WPB)
    8 - 3-Bay Covered Hopper (USAssetPack, U36B DLC)
    9 - 4 Bay Covered Hopper (RDSL USWagonPack01, ShermanHill, MariasPass)

10 - Coal Hopper (GP40-2 DLC, Clinchfield)
    11 - Ballast Hooper (MiamiWPB, CSX Hanover, NSFreightPack
    12 - Woodchip/Trash Hopper (NYNH, StevensPass, Miami-WPB)
    13 - Bethgon (RatonPass, NSCoalDistrict, USAssetPack)

14 - Intermodal Wellcar (MariasPass, ShermanHill, DonnerPass)
    15 - TOFC Flatcar (MariasPass, RSDL USWagonPack01, FeatherRiverCanyon)
    16 - Autorack (USAssetPack, MariasPass, DonnerPass)

17 - Bulkhead Flatcar (StevensPass, FeatherRiverCanyon, SoldierSummit)
    18 - Centerbeam (MariasPass, MiamiWPB, RSDL USWagonPack01)
    19 - 60ft Flatcar (BNSF ES44 DLC, BN/BNSF SD40-2 DLC, StevensPass)
    20 - 23k Gal Tankcar (USAssetPack, SoldierSummit, MiamiWPB)
    21 - Coilcar (ShermanHill, MariasPass, USAssetPack)
    22 - Caboose (USAssetPack, ShermanHill)
    23 - 52ft Gondola (SoldierSummit, MiamiWPB, RatonPass)

I will note that with models like the bulkhead flatcar and caboose there are variations of them (SoldierSummit, Clinchfield & U36B DLC have a different style cupola caboose while FeatherRiverCanyon has a bay-window caboose) but maybe those can be added in an extras? Depends if enough people want them and DTG feels generous I guess. There is maybe the chance to add other equipment from 3rd party developed DLCs like the Spinecars within RatonPass or other types of covered hoppers seen in DLCs like the Montana Hi-Line or Peace River. Depends what 3rd Parties agree or disagree. I do also acknowledge there is plenty of other quality NA rolling stock out there from groups like Searchlight, G-Trax, Mainelines, ect... but this is focused on 1st Party rollingstock.

• Like Like x 4
  2. JGRudnick

JGRudnick Well-Known Member

This would be great, especially for scenario creation. Then entire routes aren't needed to use certain rolling stock.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

So the cars from Sherman Hill are on Donnor Pass, too? Odd, as I had never noticed them in any of the scenarios that came with the route according to the description. They must be attached to the trains we have to save during a couple of scenarios.

A note on the Sherman Hill versions: they are bugged (referring to 14a and 14b, and there is a third model; the numbering goes from 01 for the brown one to 03 for two models that have white and different shades of green). I ran a test on Introduction to Sherman Hill that makes it possible to complete the scenario, but if such a car ever makes it into such a pack, it must be made to work properly and not require us to fix it just to play the scenario. That is important here. I am now also curious if the same issue exists with the Donnor PAss and Marias Pass versions of those cars; Donnor Pass will probably get a visit after London-Brighton, so I can find out.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Uncle Chuckles

Uncle Chuckles Member

They share a wellcar model but containers are different, as Donner has only single stacks while Sherman Hill has doublestacks. Yes I do know that 14a/14b aren't in the order they're given the SH DLC, its was only there to give an example of making the wellcar in the proposed pack have a couple of different skins to pick from. Same for the autoracks labeled as 16a/b, one is from Sherman Hill, the other from Marias Pass.
    I never toggled Donner when setting up these images since most of its rolling stock besides the wellcars is from the US Asset pack (of which is automatically toggled when you load in to the scenario editor)

• Like Like x 2
  5. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

Well, I know for a fact that a certain Buckeye setting change in the Sherman Hill pack fixes the cars. So if such a pack here is ever created, I hope the cars are fixed first. I like the idea to not require the three routes and being able to use this. The problem is perhaps DTG doesn't; they want us buying the more expensive route, and if you later buy the routes, you're wasting money on this pack.

• Like Like x 1