Route Proposal: Beaumont Hill ( Union Pacific Era) West Colton - Palm Springs

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Blacknred81, Feb 15, 2020.

1. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

So I was researching the famed Sunset Route over Beaumont Hill for a proposal for TS2020 (https://forums.dovetailgames.com/th...west-colton-niland-calexico-branchline.20654/). I did notice that the run from the West Colton Yard to the top of the hill is only 25 miles. So I figured this would be a decent proposal for TSW as well.

So I think if this route was to be made for TSW, it would run from West Colton Yard, to Palm Springs. Which would make the route roughly 55 miles. I also think this route should be set in the Modern Era, so Union Pacific Would be featured on the route.

The western end of the route would feature the West Colton Yard one of the largest railyards on the West Coast, which features a large classification yard, rail car repair facility, and loco shop. GATX also has a small shop on the East side of the yard.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Shortly pass the yard is where the Palmdale Cutoff connects to the Sunset route, followed shortly by Colton Crossing, though the UP and BNSF tracks have since been separated at the crossing.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The route continues east eventually starting the climb thru San Timoteo Canyon,thru the town of El Casco, up to appx 2,600ft at the town of Beaumont.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Past Beaumont the route starts downgrade, thru the towns of Banning, Owl, Cabazon, towards Palm Springs. UP runs a rock train from a quarry owned by Roberson's Ready Mix from Cabazon to Gardena California. This train is interesting, as it only has 2 locomotives, one at each end, so the locomotives doesn't have to run around or turn the train at either end. Palm Springs is home to the only Amtrak stop for the Sunset Limited/Texas Eagle on this route between Ontario and Yuma.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Locomotives
    The locomotives for this route would be pretty much what is common these days in modern railroading.
    Evos (ES44,ET44)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

SD70ACe (ACe,AH,ACe-T4) (Could also throw in the SP Heritage unit too.)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

SD40-2/SD40N
    [​IMG]

GP40-2/GP60 (Patched SP/SSW or standard UP)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Rolling Stock
    Rolling Stock itself would be the common railcars of today which would include....

Boxcars
    -50ft
    -60ft High Cube

Hoppers
    -2 Bay Covered
    -3/4 Bay Covered

Tank Cars

Intermodel
    -57' Spine Cars
    -53' Well Cars (Single & 3 Unit)
    -40' Well Cars (Single & 5 Unit)

Auto Racks
    Centerbeam Flatcars
    Bulkhead Flatcars
    Reefer Unit (ARMN)

The only special railcar that should be included for this route would be the Roberson Ready Mix (RRMX) rock cars for the quarry.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
    • Like Like x 17
  2. docsnyder1911

docsnyder1911 Well-Known Member

Very nice proposal. Especially because there are the heavy freight locos from GE and EMD. Fingers crossed that this route or something similar will be the next northamerican route for TSW after OSD.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  3. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Great proposal hope it will see the light of day in TSW

• Like Like x 4
  4. jedi247

jedi247 Well-Known Member

I would totally buy this. I really want the ET44AC, SD70ACeT4, and GP60. A 3GS21B Genset Switcher or GP15-1 could be possible engines for switching Colton Yard.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Going to revive this idea, but with the route extended to Ontario California, which would extend of the route to 67 miles, which would open up the possibility of an Amtrak DLC for the Sunset Limited, and switching opportunitys between there and West Colton (Including the Kaiser Yard).
    2384196218_544183bf59_z.jpg

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  6. steammaster4449

steammaster4449 Well-Known Member

I for one would definitely like to see this put on the roadmap. Well, here's to hoping.

• Like Like x 1
  7. pugilist3

pugilist3 Active Member

I agree, this would be a great route!

• Like Like x 2
  8. peterg1002612

peterg1002612 Member

i would love to see this route in tsw2 liked all the pictures too

• Like Like x 2
  9. 59321747

59321747 Well-Known Member

Good hope to see this line in production, it will be the greatest relief
    Hopefully there will be a full line to the Rocky Mountains, the Kahong Pass, and the classic route will be on the agenda soon

• Like Like x 1
  10. steammaster4449

steammaster4449 Well-Known Member

"Kahong Pass"? You wouldn't happen to be talking about CAJON Pass would you?