Video Editing Programme / Application

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Farmer_C, Feb 5, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Farmer_C

Farmer_C Well-Known Member

Honourable fellow railway builders and loco drivers,

I am looking for a solid, easy to use video editing programme / application for Windows 10. I’m not after any special features. A basic programme for cutting and merging video clips together with a few other editing tools will be sufficient. Two main requirements are: 1) the programme can handle big & high quality clips (i.e. resolution - otherwise there are no guarantees about quality in my videos), 2) it’s freeware.

I would be very grateful for any tips or suggestions that you might have with respect to this kind of programme.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  2. pschlik

pschlik Well-Known Member

Freeware? Then you kinda narrow things down...a lot...but one good one (from what I hear) is this Da Vinci Resolve. It has a free version, as well as a multi-thousand dollar version for commerical use. The pros used it (granted with a few more bits and bobs) so it’s gotta be somewhat competant at handling what you desire.

3. Farmer_C

Thanks pschlik. I quickly googled this programme. Looks promising and the user reviews seem to be very positive. Such a wide variety of tools and features, but apparently it’s still manageable for novices like me.

4. InstaSim

InstaSim Member

I use an editing software called Serif MoviePlus X6. It's compatible with Windows 10 and can handle high resolution clips with high framerates (I've done 1080p60 as max but the settings can be configured to your liking, so if you need 4K then I'd assume the software could manage it). The only thing with it is that it's not Free, and as far as I'm aware the program itself is discontinued however they do sell it on Amazon. I managed to buy it for around £30, although it doesn't seem to be available at the moment on Amazon. If you don't mind a small price tag then I highly recommend Serif MoviePlus if you can find it. It appears to be available on Ebay for £30 atm.
    Tbh, there aren't many good Free Video Editing Software Packages available. Most of them also have paid editions which have more features anyway, so I do recommend going for a paid option if that is possible, even if it's something fairly cheap that does the job.
    Hope this helps :)

5. Farmer_C

Much obliged InstaSim. I haven't explicitly ruled out the possibility of acquiring software that has a price tag on it. So I will definitely look into this Serif Movie Plus and see, whether it could be one possibility too. I fully understand your view about getting so much more with a small investment than what is possible in the range of freeware. I appreciate your views.