PlayStation “sim” In The Title Is The Problem

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Samo1, Nov 4, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Knightfire1964

Knightfire1964 Well-Known Member

i know of a few drivers on facebook i can ask them

2. Thunderer

Thunderer Well-Known Member

A friend of mine is a Train Driver, currently on Pendolinos but started out shunting 08s.

I showed him the game when he was round mine for a bbq and he was pretty impressed by how accurate the 08 was, he got right in, switched it all on and started driving without any guidance from me except for me telling him which buttons to use for select/throttle/brake.

It certainly qualifies as a sim.

• Like Like x 7
  3. Knightfire1964

well just from that proves it works as a simulator

• Like Like x 2
  4. krustynuggets

krustynuggets Well-Known Member

Going back to the getting a job part of the OP argument, I'm pretty sure that having the added knowledge of driving the tube stock in question through this SIMULATOR would probably impress the employer and improve your chances of landing the job, and yes obviously you would have all the qualifications needed to start with before anybody says anything, knowledge is power.

• Like Like x 2
  5. xblackwolf90

xblackwolf90 Well-Known Member

I'd respectfully isagree with the OP of this thread.

This is a video game after all, and therefore it's unrealistic to expect every single aspect of the game to be 100% true to life, particularly on route scenery due to the limitations of hardware (especially consoles).

I find TSW to be pretty great overall, aside from the odd irritation from bugs and audio issues on preserved collection. Once these are resolved (particularly poor audio on RT and LIRR), it'll be awesome.

Overall, TSW has got the balance just right in my opinion.

I think, based off the OP, the expectations may be a little unrealistic. However, everyone has their own opinion and expectations. My expectations have certainly been met, but clearly not everyone's will be.

Edit: I can't say I've ever seen a thread shut down when the discussion is civil. Threads should rightfully be locked when insults and deliberate efforts to be condescending to those with different opinions arise. Unfortunately, this is the internet, and insults soon seem to surface when a difference of opinion becomes apparent :)

Last edited: Nov 4, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Stockton Rails

Stockton Rails Well-Known Member

...just casting my vote here. For me, I would definitely call TSW 2020 (which I own) a train simulator product... there are simply too many procedures and controls to learn and master in 2020 for it to be called an arcade game. For example: engine startup and shutdown procedures, HEP startup and shutdown, braking systems (how to use them, when to use them), reading brake pressure gauges, throttle control, MU and DPU operation, HOTD/EOTD devices, lighting controls (incl MU lighting control), etc, etc.

I’m certainly not saying DTG gets everything right in this product... they certainly don’t. But with all of these control systems and processes built into 2020, it’s certainly a sim to me... and I definitely appreciate DTG’s effort adding all of this capability to the product.

• Like Like x 4
  7. breblimator

breblimator Guest

My expectations were met. Cold start aside - a quite reliable simulation of some aspects of train driving.

• Like Like x 1
  8. krustynuggets

Definitely could use a little more in the mix with more unique scripted scenarios and taking loco's to more unused areas of the track, because on some routes there are whole yards and depots and more locked away because you can't change the points, the potential for this sim is huge.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  9. jamesonmin

jamesonmin Well-Known Member

its a game, not a sim

• Like Like x 5
  10. krustynuggets

Was waiting for that 1 individual that would take this all way back to square 1, well folks we have a winner.......

• Like Like x 3
  11. Maxrom

Maxrom Active Member

I think some people take things way too seriously. You're on a Playstation for crying out loud, what do you expect? There's plenty of garbage out there that has the word "simulator" tacked onto the name, but TSW2 is far from that. Sure it has it's faults, but I really enjoy it regardless, and I'm really not bothered if it's not replicating everything in extreme detail. I just want an enjoyable way to spend a few hours, and I have to say, I'm pretty hooked on it at the moment (more so than I expected). For the hours enjoyed vs the money I've spent, I'm very happy.

If you want true simulation, you'll likely need a setup that's a lot more comprehensive than a Playstation. But, if you are buying Playstation titles, then set your expectations accordingly, and be thankful your medical professional doesn't use Surgeon Simulator to keep their skills sharp.

• Like Like x 4
  12. kennyjamesscott

kennyjamesscott Well-Known Member

Erm...
    I just say this, everyone wants realistic simulation and when it finally happens then most casual players go away because it comes way too challenging.
    Perfect example (from motorsports world) is MotoGP20.
    While I love it and it is fun for me, if I weren't such a big motorcycle fanatic/enthusiast I would be extremely frustrated with it as you need to understand how motorcycle works/handles even on the easiest difficulties as otherwise you wouldn't stay on that bike for long.
    Again, I enjoy it and it's fun to ride but for casual racers it's frustrating.

So, if TSW would be hardcore simulation game... While it would be fun I'm not sure so many people would enjoy it. I think it would become frustrating to most players.

That's my two cents. Don't shoot me please ;)

• Like Like x 2
  13. krustynuggets

You won't get shot by me, got naff all hand and eye Coordination lol, reason can't play online shooters very well, I'd definitely miss lol.

• Like Like x 1
  14. mclitke

mclitke Well-Known Member

Oh well another thread by Samo1 that only exists to create issues where none are. How do you come up with new ideas every other day?
    And you still wonder why your threads get locked.

• Like Like x 5
  15. krustynuggets

**Edited by DTG Natster

Let's keep things friendly please.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  16. Lenwigg

Lenwigg Well-Known Member

He seems to be some sort of expert at trying to get people posting their dislike of the game, and DTG. To me it looks like this one has back fired on him because it seems the biggest majority disagree with him.

Still more preserved collection due shortly so I expect he will be looking forward to that to see what he can complain about from that.

• Like Like x 4
  17. mclitke

mclitke Well-Known Member

Yes I entered the ring on one of his first and as his threads started popping up more and more often, I decided to just ignore him. He must feed on the attention and tries so hard to get people on his side for... whatever reason. Like I said, it is rarely something serious but it stirrs up dust and it is absolutely not necessary, so he had the responses in here coming.

Back to main topic: In a time where you have toilet cleaning simulator, hand simulator and tabletop simulator, how is TSW not a simulation game. Does TSW show you how to run a locomotive without any other necessary knowledge? No. Does it simulate a day, a service, a passenger's experience or a bystanders point of view? Yes, and it simulates it quite well for what it wants to be.
    And I am sure you can use what you learned in TSW better than how to use your hand after playing Hand simulator or how to flip a table after palying tabletop simulator.
    What a redundant thread.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Knightfire1964

literally the definition of simulation is "imitation of a situation or process" which tsw ticks that

19. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Exactly we alread had the "simulator vs game" argument a few weeks back and honestly I agree with the OP that it's not a simulator in the strict sense where a simulator is the facility used for driver training, but it's percectly reasonable to use simulator just to indicate a game which tries to simulate some aspect of real life... obviously everyone knows that "simulator" in this case indicates just a more realistic game and not a hugely expensive software used for training.

Saying that calling the game a "simulator" is misleading is absolute nonsense as it's already an established practice to call these sort of games simulators (and a lot of more arcade games are called "sims" as it seems to draw a bit of audience) but honestly TSW is much more a sim than many other titles...

Seems like it's just trying to find anything that he can use to critique DTG

20. Knightfire1964

agree i would definitely not use a sim like farming simulator as a way of training. simulation games as a genre is so wide and diverse now there is a sim for almost anything i think DTG aren't wrong for calling it TSW if op has any ideas of what the game can be re called i'm open ears

21. krustynuggets

Wonder is Samo1 has gone to war on Gran Turismo??, pretty sure the developers called that a driving simulator, I'll ask him next time he stops by for a little pot stirring.......:D :D :D

• Like Like x 1
  22. krustynuggets

Train Not At Remotely In Any Way Shape Or Form A Sim World, name rolls of the tongue beautifully......

23. Knightfire1964

but really to change TSW name at this point is a bit to late the forums are known by it and everyone would still carry on calling it TSW i know i would for sure

24. DTG Natster

DTG Natster Producer Staff Member

I'm seeing a few posts targeting one specific member, let's not ruin a nice discussion by degenerating into name calling. Please can we remember to keep things friendly.
    If you do not agree with the OP and as a result find yourself unable to express your opinion in a courteous manner, you don't have to contribute to the thread.

I have edited and removed some posts accordingly.

• Like Like x 2
  25. Samo1

Samo1 Well-Known Member

Gran Turismo is an arcade game as well so yes, it shouldn’t be called a simulator

• Like Like x 1
  26. Knightfire1964

wikipedia begs to differ

• Like Like x 1
  27. Knightfire1964

anyway back to tsw being a simulator it would be stupid now to change it and the fact no one has sued dovetail for calling tsw a simulator begs the question that people think it's a simulator

• Like Like x 1
  28. Samo1

Samo1 Well-Known Member

Exactly, it’s a game not a sim

• Like Like x 1
  29. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Please list some SIM game in its name that you think is a simulator, because I'd like to start to understand the gibberish. Usually, this type of discussion is conducted by incompetent people, e.g. people without a driving license commenting on physics in games like Forza Competizione (example). Samo1, could you describe your experience driving trains in reality? I am really very curious.

Give as much detail as possible so we can believe you, it's about facts, not complexes. Thank you very much in advance and best regards.

PEGI.png

• Like Like x 2
  30. Knightfire1964

then that makes any sim a game like Microsoft flight simulator 2020 for example

31. matthewbguilford

matthewbguilford Well-Known Member

We are leaving out the biggest sim in question. 3482D9C0-7A35-4AB6-B595-85F555884C7E.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
  32. Knightfire1964

33. sinnere

sinnere Active Member

Not sure where you got the idea that I implied this sim should be used for training. I just want close to accurate physics.

34. jamesonmin

jamesonmin Well-Known Member

Well yes but actually no

35. septafan

septafan Active Member

Let’s make this quick! You rant a lot about this sim. You will never seem to be pleased I think if you want that true simulation feeling, go apply for your local railway company. I’m a bus driver and get full simulation everyday and I also at one point operated streetcars *Trams for yall* and trains. So again you want that full simulation experience try that option :) Im happy to say I been getting full simulation the last 15 years that I’ve been in transit with more years to go.

• Like Like x 5
  36. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

I mean if it wasn't a Sim, I should be able to just release the brakes on Sand Patch Grade, put the throttle to notch 8 and not have any problems right?

• Like Like x 3
  37. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Traingameworld doesn't have the same ring to it!

I wonder if this discussion goes on other developers forums.

As Matt pointed out The Sims is the biggest PC Simulator, therefore it must be the biggest con of all then. There are many aspects of real life it doesn't simulate. I tried to learn how to cook from it but it wasn't much help. I shall e-mail the developers forthwith and demand it gets renamed to "The Game"!

• Like Like x 1
  38. Samo1

Samo1 Well-Known Member

A game can be called anything, that’s the publishers choice but calling a game a sim doesn’t make it a sim!
    If all it takes to drive a train is a few lines of a quick start guide I rest my case, maybe many of you think driving a train it’s that easy in reality?

Once you call something a sim you raise expectations as to the depth of the product, this is an entertaining game not a sim

as for all your commendable lists of other games with the word sim in well done, absolutely amazing and pointless, this post is about TSW not other games, sim is just used as a marketing ploy in most cases to make a product seem more in-depth than it really is,

• Like Like x 1
  39. Samo1

Samo1 Well-Known Member

Traingameworld doesn't have the same ring to it!
    That’s why it’s called Train SIM world, you answered your own question, sim sounds better and more in-depth than using the word “game”

• Like Like x 1
  40. SBos

SBos Well-Known Member

I don’t understand why this guy just doesn’t give up with the game as he has so many issues with it some of which are pretty pathetic. The latest wether it’s a simulator or arcade game is an example.

• Like Like x 1
  41. Samo1

Samo1 Well-Known Member

Im glad you called it a “game” and not a “sim”

• Like Like x 1
  42. Samo1

Samo1 Well-Known Member

Over a THOUSAND views and ninety comments in well under a day, you can’t beat some nice healthy debate and no I don’t think this post has back fired on me because ALL views should be valid, not just views you agree with, I’m more open minded than that and don’t take offence even when a raw nerve has been touched like other members seem to

• Like Like x 3
  43. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

Interesting thread, I'm not going to say anything on as we'll be going over old ground but..

"what's the definition of a simulator"

simulator
    [ˈsɪmjʊleɪtə]
    NOUN
    simulator (noun) · simulators (plural noun) · simulator program (noun) · simulator programs (plural noun)
    1. a machine designed to provide a realistic imitation of the controls and operation of a vehicle, aircraft, or other complex system, used for training purposes.
      "a driving simulator"
    Make of that what you will..

• Like Like x 1
  44. Samo1

Samo1 Well-Known Member

Is a five minute tutorial of a getting a train moving and a QuickStart (no manual supplied) realistic?

• Like Like x 2
  45. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

OP got that idea not me

46. GuitarMan

GuitarMan Well-Known Member

I appreciate your honesty and the challenges you are making. I appreciate that you feel the other games shouldn't have SIM in the title either. (That was why I asked the question, I wondered if it was general or just DTG).

Obviously, being sold for PC, Playstation and X-Box it has to be a game. But it is a game that strives to simulate the reality of train driving while still remaining fun.

As someone that has driven trains, it comes pretty close (about as close to the experience as you can get on console). All of my experience is on Heritage Railways like the WSR (but not the WSR). Would you really wish to sim doing an hours worth of FTR checks on the loco before you start it and bring it in to service - no it would lose its enjoyment. ( I believe on a lot of mainline railways these are done by depot staff now not drivers anyway and the driver turns up with it ready to run).

The same applies to the signalling, safety and route knowledge, would you really want to do 150+ hours of shadowing before you could drive the train, and then have someone shadow you for a time before your allowed to drive solo? no. Its a game.

In regards to the controls of trains, the experience (particularly with variable adhesion) is pretty close however. Close enough to call it a SIM in my opinion, same as other games in this category.

• Like Like x 6
  47. theorganist

Why is it pointless to name other so called "sims". Are you going on their forums moaning about the name of their products or is it just a special dislike for DTG?

• Like Like x 1
  48. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

I've stated my views before, some agree and some don't, that's the beauty of opinion.

Something people may or may not find interesting is this video at the 8:18 mark where Matt say's what angle they go for when pitching the game..

• Like Like x 1
  49. theorganist

Right so they only used the word Sim in the title as it sounded better even though they knew it was only a simple game and that sim wouldn't be suitable moniker!

Did you complain to Microsoft when they released Microsoft Train Simulator, that was hardly a sim as a mile wasn't even to scale?
    Did you message Kuju when the original Rail Simulator was released?
    I bet you were cheering when we had the brief name change to Railworks?

What should they rename Train Simulator to?

50. krustynuggets

I know we have star wars, but we really should have is sim wars, Samo1 could be the evil emperor and we are all the rebels fighting for the holy games with sim in the title, god dam that would be a epic movie.......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.