Empire Builder, Going Into Emergency

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by brucesherman, Nov 2, 2020.

1. brucesherman

brucesherman New Member

i am new to posting, so excuse me if this isnt the place to ask this.

I am driving the Empire Builder out of NY Penn. Now there is this square box with a '!' on it. I maybe wrongly calling it a alerter box?? I know that is like a stay alive. if i dont touch the controls, in a couple of minutes, this goes off, and i need to press the q button to show i am not dead. North of the George Washington Bridge and before getting into Croton- Harmon. The alerter keeps going off, press q, goes off again a moment later. The train goes into emergency. i release the brakes and add throttle, only to have this happen again. After some times, this issue goes away. only to happen before entering the station at Croton Harmon. What am i doing wrong? What am i missing?

2. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Have you read the manual for that particular train? Have a look in *Your Drive letter*:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RailWorks and see if you can find the manual, it will probably explain where you're going wrong.

3. brucesherman

brucesherman New Member

thanks.. didnt even know that existed. i found this....
    Alerter. The Alerter is a system used on some trains to ensure that the driver has seen a signal. If the alert sounds (a black/yellow striped symbol is shown on the Driver's display), this must be acknowledged by pressing the Alerter button or the emergency brakes will be applied.

So i am pressing the Q button.. still not sure what i am doing wrong?? I should add.. i finished the route with a perfect score of 1000... no penalties.

4. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Something is confusing, you say you are driving the Emprire Builder, but the empire builder is train that runs between Chicago and Seattle-Portland, Croton Harmon is a station on the Hudson Line. You sure it isn't the scenario [P32 AC-DM] 4. Empire Service?

In any case, I think what's happening is you are not looking at the Aspect Display Unit located in the center of the loco, which gives you info on if the track speed is limited, medium, or restrict for any reason.

This is covered on Page 20 of the manual.
    a.png

I just redid the suspected scenario I think you are driving, and had a 15mph restricted speed just past the George Washington Bridge.
    Railworks64 2020-11-01 21-03-14-37.jpg

Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. brucesherman

brucesherman New Member

thanks.. that is probably what i am not paying attention to. I was looking for something similar... i did look around the the inside of the locomotive for something, but must have overlooked that. To tell you the truth... i wanted to see the area outside.. was looking with a exterior camera, since i didnt see that.

• Like Like x 1
  6. brucesherman

brucesherman New Member

and yes.. i know it was Empire.. may have incorrectly called it Empire Builder when meaning Empire Service

• Like Like x 1
  7. brucesherman

brucesherman New Member

thanks again, drove it last time again.. but stayed in the cab, saw the speed restriction. Still the train went into emergency once, allot less then before.

• Like Like x 1
  8. malikrthr

malikrthr Well-Known Member

This guide is definitely helpful for operations on the Metro North/Amtrak. It is imperative to follow both the track speed limit as well as the indicated signal speeds. Out of those two, I always follow the lower speed to avoid the alerter going off. Operating at the in-cab signal speed or slightly above the in-cab signal speed will trigger the alerter, and it will not stop until the train operates below that speed. This is also known as ATC (Automatic Train Control).

9. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

It might be worth a general note that, if the train is putting itself into emergency, there is probably a reason you should research in the area. I was doing my first free roam, on a London-Brighton edition, and was being halted before East Croydon from Brighton. It wasn't until later that I realized I was facing yellow signals and was not being allowed to continue. I scrubbed that video and did a Quick Drive instead, but not all routes have Quick Drives, so I may have to utilize Workshop scenarios for full route plays prior to digging into some scenario sets. In particular I might use PTGRail's full drive scenarios in some cases.

10. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

You mean the reason explained in post #4?