Allow Saving In Scenarios (please)

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by OldVern, Nov 3, 2020.

1. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

As the title suggests, it is a bit frustrating to sit through 20 or 30 minutes of running a scenario (an example being Zone 1 on Bakerloo) then find real life interrupts so you have to come off. I hit the save dialogue but on going to resume it plonked me back at London Road Depot right at the beginning. I know I could just run Timetable mode but the point of the scenarios is to provide a bit of structured training and introduction to the route and train(s) first.

• Like Like x 4
  2. mclitke

mclitke Well-Known Member

I fully understand your pain. Unfortunately the save function is kinda broken anyway, sometimes loading a save file or simply pressing save will break the service. Some signals turn red and stay red, some ai trains don't move anymore, sometimes even your own train breaks.
    So I don't know if it would actually help being able to save in scenarios.
    Firstly the save function needs to be checked. It being broken is one of the reasons why I don't play sand patch grade and very few west somerset, a service takes very long and if you could save in between without fearing to break the service, I could easily split these services into 2 days.

• Like Like x 2
  3. OldVern

Good point. I came across that in TSW1 on WSR, even in Timetable mode, saving didn't always work.
    In terms of the scenarios then, possibly some kind of checkpoint system?
    I do actually like the Bakerloo line a lot (not half as bad as some of the reviews had me believe) but it's going to be frustrating if the lack of being able to save prevents me seeing everything the route has to offer.

• Like Like x 1
  4. DTG Natster

DTG Natster Producer Staff Member

The save function is something we would like to see improved and is being looked into, I can relate to the frustrations of being unable to save when you want.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  5. Trenomarcus

Trenomarcus Well-Known Member

If you are looking at it, another very frustrating thing is that there exists only one savegame for the entire game and thus the "load last save" button, which is displayed in every route, actually may load a save from a different route. This is just one of the terrible things about the new TSW2's UI.

• Like Like x 7
  6. Quentin

Quentin Well-Known Member

If you have 'autojourney' enabled (as it is by default), the game will restart from the beginning of the last incomplete journey. But if you 'return to main menu' (by hitting ESC) you should then be able to resume from your last save. (Works for me, anyway, and I use it a lot!)

• Like Like x 1
  7. OldVern

Thanks Quentin, I will try that. I was doing the second Bakerloo scenario where you go north from QP to H&W but on arriving in the turnback siding, wife decided it was time for our afternoon walk. So was fully expecting to start over again...

Edit: Quick stupid question - where do I go to switch autojourney off as I can't see it in the options?

Edit II - Forget that, found it now - d'oh.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2020
  8. OldVern

Scenario loaded at H&W but broken. Red signal at North Wembley, unable to pass. Walked forward to Wembley Central, AI train in Up DC platform no driver on board just sitting there with green signal and doors closed. Game over!

9. mclitke

yes which is basically what I mentioned, saving and/or loading breaks the game quite often :(

I would recommend to commit to do a service in one sitting without saving, and to check beforehand if you have the time. Like I said, this is why I never play sand patch grade except for shunting, because I cannot commit to 2+hours in one sitting...

10. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

Actually it was an issue in TSW1 as well. Really we need to be able to make as many saves as we want like in Transport Fever.

11. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Ah, I remember MSTS where you could make multiple saves and then choose which one to go back to. What happened to that idea?

12. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

I just want to report that during my 64.4 hours of TSW2 and 1,194.1 hours of TSW, I have n-e-v-e-r encountered any difficulties saving an activity (i.e.: scenario or timetable session) or returning successfully to the saved point.
    Surely my experience cannot be unique.

13. mclitke

Well I only hear contrary. On sandpatch you might lose your breaks when reloading, I heard of people who had break and door issues with the 442 after reloading and I remember vividly how I needed to play a service on NTP in TSW2020 4 times because just pressing the save button turned a signal red and would never change back.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

I find that very hard to believe. NTP was always the worst for me as it always broke the Class 45, at least for a little while. On GWE it would break the Class 66 completely.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Maxboy444

Maxboy444 Member

Hope you fix it! ;)

16. Maxboy444

Maxboy444 Member

You can also disable it throw Settings>Game and scroll down to the button and there's an option where you can disable it.

17. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Saving was certainly faulty in service mode before, I usually just use service but have given up trying to save where I left off. NTP seemed particularly prone to issues I often had alarms going in the class 47 which I couldn't disable. In TS1 you can save every scenario, I cannot see why you can't have the same thing on TSW.

18. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Hear, shmear! Listen to or read whatever you like: I just stated a fact based on my personal experience.